Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As regards the rear sight issue.....I have a 3mm x 5" fiber optic front sight that glows like a freakin laser when you are looking right in the end - something I felt my cross dominant eyes needed and I have been pleased with - same set up I use for sporting clays. I installed a 2mm brass ball (mid barrel) bead in the forward most of the four sight mount holes on the 930 today after polishing, filing a flat on the top and lacquering the ball. i wanted a quick index for the vent rib that I would find before I got down onto the cheek weld, and lock me in from side to side without having to check. I like this VERY much. I don't even notice it unless I look, but see it on the periphery and adjust as I settle in without thinking. Increases my confidence. $8 sight and if you don't like it, easy to reverse. Just saying....

Just got my JM Pro back from my 'smith. He did an admirable job welding the lifter and it does - as many of you said - make a remarkable difference. There is no hesitance when reloading - a smoother entry for the reloads and I don't even consider I might get bitten - HUGE improvement, (Are you listening Mossberg?) The other day, my gunsmith called and said it was done, but before I pick it up, he thought I should consider lengthening the forcing cone. We talked a bit and I do trust this kid, so I let him do it. I had taken some serious pattern shots before hand and went right to the range today to duplicate those pattern shots. Very nice improvement on the 930. Hardly a scientific study but the patterns were tighter right up to 40 yards - even up to 00 buckshot. On 25 shots at various ranges with various shot sizes, virtually ALL showed tighter patterns and fewer fliers. I thought there was less felt recoil, but that seems subjective. I think my Browning O/U sporting clays gun is next! Any of you guys do this?

Many of the current generation of target guns already have the “lengthened” forcing cone area. We have a 525 Citori in the house (wife's gun) and I know it's forcing cones are already as long as then need to be.

I am told that is true! I also know that many 'value' manufacturers avoid the step to save money. It is, however, simple to measure on any gun, and it clearly made a difference on the 930. My Browning clays gun had a 2.5" cone before; 5.75" now.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my JM930 to run about 90-95% of the time, but was developing some other issues, like spitting shells out on the follower, not releasing a round from the mag tube when I cycled the bolt etc. It still had a high point of impact, so I decided to call mossberg even though I have a friend that had to send his JM930 in twice to get it working right. Spoke to a guy there at the customer service center, explained the problems, he said to send it in for repair, he wasn't really interested in what the problems were, but told me to put a note in with the shotgun and they would address it. He wasnt interested in the Serial number of the gun, who I was, what address that I was supposed to ship it to, when to expect it or anything else. I was less than impressed with my phone call, they dont offer to cover shipping to their center and Fed Ex charged me $44 to ship it, partly because it requires an "adult signature" upon delivery, I asked them if they expected children to accept the package at the Mossberg Repair Facility, non the less, they added about $10 for the adult signature requirement. I also complained about the point of impact and asked if that was somethign they could address, he said it was and to add it to the note. i asked what the turn around time was, he told me 2-3 weeks total including shipping time. I typed up a small letter explaining the problems and included photos of the factory crooked lifter that was touching the sidewall of the receiver and shipped it off the first of March. I still dont have my shotgun back and its been 6 weeks. I sent a email to them last week and ask for a update on my shotgun because I expected it back two weeks ago, they wont reply. im trying to develop a slug load and have no shotgun to work with. The Ironman is coming up very soon and now im freaking out about having to borrow someone else's shotgun.

Mossberg definitely does not get a customer service rating like Springfield Armory. i had a M1a not cycling right and after a concerned conversation with them, they got my email address, name, address, phone numbers, serial # and emailed me a prepaid label for fed ex to ship the rifle to them, 2 weeks later, I recieved a call explaining what they had done to the rifle, they also found that my Match grade trigger was 1/2 lb stiffer than their specs for that rifle, which I knew, but wasnt going to complain, they did trigger work, told me the bolt was out of spec and they installed a completly new bolt and shipped it back to me. the warranty work did not cost me a dime. The rifle works great, like it should have out of the box, which is what we all expect when we pay top dollar for any manufacturers product.

Guess as long as they have no trouble selling all the 9JMS they produce, as gets little attention. Eventually they may learn, especially if another company kicks their ass in sales.maybe an email to their president or VP can get some action.

mark

• 2 months later...

I did manage to get my shotgun back from Mossberg about 2 weeks before the Ironman. After several complaints and emails to multiple people, I finally got in touch with the head guy in charge of the service department. It was assigned to their top service man and fixed that day and mailed out that night. They pretty much replaced the entire shotgun, I got back a few of my old parts, but not many. New barrel assembly, new mag tube with Boron Nitride finish on it, new bolt, new elevator and complete trigger housing and all new trigger parts. I managed to get back my old stocks, receiver and choke. They adjusted POI, apparently from a vise, as it still shoots about 10" high, but they included the test target. they did manage to twist my vent rib slightly though adjusting the barrel and I worry that it may come loose some day, but other than that it runs pretty well now. I still have one problem that remains, that involves loading the gun. when I load the tube and put a flag in the chamber, it wont cycle right when I try to chamber the round afterwards. Then after cycling it a time or two, it will spit 2 onto the elevator, I have to reach in and push one back into the magtube, then the other will chamber. the avoidance manuever for this is to get on line, ensure nothing is in the chamber after removing the flag, dry fire on empty chamber, then it will handcycle the next round out of the tube, I can top off and it will run perfect. They replaced the part that regulates the shells out of the magtube also during the rebuild as it was a problem that existed before warranty repair. I may try the polish fix that brownells has a video of and put some adjustable sights on and just shoot the crap out of it for a while now that it runs good.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. Generally speaking it's been running pretty well. I have mainly used heavier loads in it and it runs fine, however I now want to start using some lighter loads (#7.5, 28gm) for competition and I find that it does not cycle them as consistently as the heavier rounds.

I'm also looking at having the Shell Carrier welded up, for the usual reasons. What are some of the other things I should be getting my gunsmith to do to assist with competition and reliability?

Regards,

Bucko.

Edited by buckonz

Hi All,

I have a Mossberg 930 SPX. Generally speaking it's been running pretty well. I have mainly used heavier loads in it and it runs fine, however I now want to start using some lighter loads (#7.5, 28gm) for competition and I find that it does not cycle them as consistently as the heavier rounds.

I'm also looking at having the Shell Carrier welded up, for the usual reasons. What are some of the other things I should be getting my gunsmith to do to assist with competition and reliability?

Regards,

Bucko.

i posted this in another thread.

i think its well worth the effort to polish the chamber, shell stop, extractor and extractor plunger, the extractor groove on the barrel, the seam where the extension meets the factory mag tube, and the gas piston housing, all with a medium cratex wheel on a dremel. then hit the gas piston spring ends with a dremel so they dont scratch and drag on the mag tube. these few simple things will greatly improve the function of the 930 because that seems to be where mossberg cut corners to produce an affordable semi auto. throw in a 10/22 ep hammer spring and i think this will be as reliable as a this design will allow it to be.

also this that i posted on another forum:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1583 ... be-Problem

Feeding from the tube issues

For light primer strikes install an extra power ruger 10/22 hammer spring in place of the stock hammer spring

Lightly polish the piston housing with a medium grit cratex tip on a dremel for smoother piston movement

Mag tube scratches - take a dremel to the main piston spring ends.

Polish the chamber with medium grit cratex (as far as you can reach but at least as deep as the brass goes.

Polish up the extractor groove with medium grit cratex and if your abitious polish up the ectractor and plunger with mefium cratex.

If you are having issues with loading or feeding with an extension the bevel the edges where they meet.

Hi All,

Make sure your piston and gas ports are clean. If the piston doesn't rattle, it's time to take it apart and clean it up.

Make sure your piston and gas ports are clean. If the piston doesn't rattle, it's time to take it apart and clean it up.

Hmm. My gun runs great, I'll have to see if the piston rattles. Is this if you shake the shotgun?

Hmm. My gun runs great, I'll have to see if the piston rattles. Is this if you shake the shotgun?

No its when u hold the actual piston in hand. The rings should be able to rattle which means they are good and clean.

I did manage to get my shotgun back from Mossberg about 2 weeks before the Ironman. After several complaints and emails to multiple people, I finally got in touch with the head guy in charge of the service department. It was assigned to their top service man and fixed that day and mailed out that night. They pretty much replaced the entire shotgun, I got back a few of my old parts, but not many. New barrel assembly, new mag tube with Boron Nitride finish on it, new bolt, new elevator and complete trigger housing and all new trigger parts. I managed to get back my old stocks, receiver and choke. They adjusted POI, apparently from a vise, as it still shoots about 10" high, but they included the test target. they did manage to twist my vent rib slightly though adjusting the barrel and I worry that it may come loose some day, but other than that it runs pretty well now. I still have one problem that remains, that involves loading the gun. when I load the tube and put a flag in the chamber, it wont cycle right when I try to chamber the round afterwards. Then after cycling it a time or two, it will spit 2 onto the elevator, I have to reach in and push one back into the magtube, then the other will chamber. the avoidance manuever for this is to get on line, ensure nothing is in the chamber after removing the flag, dry fire on empty chamber, then it will handcycle the next round out of the tube, I can top off and it will run perfect. They replaced the part that regulates the shells out of the magtube also during the rebuild as it was a problem that existed before warranty repair. I may try the polish fix that brownells has a video of and put some adjustable sights on and just shoot the crap out of it for a while now that it runs good.

Good to hear they took care of you, or at least addressed your concerns. I shoot a JM 930 and if I hadn't I wouldn't be in 3G cuz the M2s were too expensive to complete my equipment. Like others in this post, I've experienced the mag tube issues and was disappointed with other small things. After learning the gun and excepting that it wasn't "3 Gun Ready", that you actually needed to do a few mods, the gun is running great. One lesson I've learned is you need to clean the piston often, like after each match. Smokeclouds issue with loading two rounds on the lifter after removing a camber flag is something I also have experienced. Now I lay the flag across the camber and not in it so I don't need to pull the bolt back too far, never had the same issue since. Besides I hate putting things in the chamber that don't belong there.

930 owners - Try this and let me know what happens if you would:

With the gun pointed in safe direction, safety on, using dummy rounds if you have them...Close the bolt on an empty chamber. Load 2 or more rounds in to the magazine tube. Press the bolt release button.

Will more than one round come out of the mag tube and cause a jam? (one full round and a portion of the second round comes out of the tube) :( --- OR-- – Will only one round come out of the tube and allow you to cycle the bolt by hand which loads the chamber? :D

Thanks in advance

With the gun pointed in safe direction, safety on, using dummy rounds if you have them...Close the bolt on an empty chamber. Load 2 or more rounds in to the magazine tube. Press the bolt release button.

Will more than one round come out of the mag tube and cause a jam? (one full round and a portion of the second round comes out of the tube) :( --- OR-- – Will only one round come out of the tube and allow you to cycle the bolt by hand which loads the chamber? :D

Thanks in advance

Nothing happened. With the bolt forward it prevents movement of the shell release.

Thanks in advance

Is there a way to prevent this - happens on mine too and seems a real gotcha in the design.

Thanks in advance

Is there a way to prevent this - happens on mine too and seems a real gotcha in the design.

Isn't that part of the EZ-Empty feature of the shotgun?

It works well when I need to unload after a stage.. but I learned quickly not to push it at the start of a stage.

So the only fix I know of is to not push it.

Thanks in advance

Isn't that part of the EZ-Empty feature of the shotgun?

It works well when I need to unload after a stage.. but I learned quickly not to push it at the start of a stage.

So the only fix I know of is to not push it.

Exactly!!! That is the way to unload it as per the manual. You have to keep the 2nd she'll from coming out with your hand. I'm mean gosh guys lol

Thanks in advance

Nothing happened. With the bolt forward it prevents movement of the shell release.

After reading more on this I tried it again, this time with more effort. It released two shells and locked it up. ( I installed an arredondo extended release so I'm used to just barely tapping it to close the bolt).

Thanks for the heads up.

After reading more on this I tried it again, this time with more effort. It released two shells and locked it up. ( I installed an arredondo extended release so I'm used to just barely tapping it to close the bolt).

Thanks for the heads up.

Which Arredondo Extended release are you talking about? I didn't know they made one for the 930.

Edited by DarkPowder

Thanks for the heads up.

Which Arredondo Extended release are you talking about? I didn't know they made one for the 930.

You can fit the Arredondo Benelli release onto the 930. Drill and tap the Mossberg release button (its really hard, use a carbide drill) then open a 3/8” diameter flat (3/8” 4 flute end mill works well) on the back of the Arredondo to accept the Mossberg button.

DSC04255_zpsd8889a1c.jpg

Edited by GunCat