Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took the release assembly out via Nuke's tips in the failure to feed topic.

Then I took my needle files and looking at the release as it is in the gun you will see where the carrier is catching/rubbing (it should have a shiny spot) you file a ramp into it at that top corner then smooth and round the edges then polish

Next you go to the other end and knock the top and bottom sharp corners off the shell catch and then buff and smooth (don't remove material from the main flat between the two corners just round edges and polish) if you take to much the shells will not catch anymore

Then find the area on the carrier arm that is marred/scratch up and take a round needle file to make a slight concave channel and break over the bottom edge (bottom being side if carrier you see when installed in gun) and polish area

Then stretch the spring on the release and grease as needed and re install

Function check of course

Viola now you can easily press the bolt release and not have the jam of the carrier arm catching the release AND it makes it slightly (still have to rack the bolt hard on 930s) to hand charge from a full tube. Mine is 10+1 BTW the +6 extension

Edited by dskinsler83

For anyone who was interested in the sheet metal & clamp fix for porting...

I did it today with some aluminum flashing. Cut to size to slide between the vent ribs and it's easy to bend and after sanding it down, it takes paint nicely. I used heat resistant stuff for BBQ grills. It blends beautifully with the barrel once clamped on.

Starts off with a NC tube install, the porting mod is at 1:45

Edited by TommyD

For anyone who was interested in the sheet metal & clamp fix for porting...

I did it today with some aluminum flashing. Cut to size to slide between the vent ribs and it's easy to bend and after sanding it down, it takes paint nicely. I used heat resistant stuff for BBQ grills. It blends beautifully with the barrel once clamped on.

Starts off with a NC tube install, the porting mod is at 1:45

Thanks for the video post, that is what I wanted to see. Mossberg 930 Pat Flanigan here I come and while that is on order a quick trip to Home Depot!

Thanks for the video post, that is what I wanted to see. Mossberg 930 Pat Flanigan here I come and while that is on order a quick trip to Home Depot!

Booyah! Haven't shot it yet, planning to do so tomorrow. I'll let you know if I run into any trouble. Are all Flanigan guns that blue color? Time for me to decide what color my classic 930 shall be :)

UPDATE: Clamp and porting cover worked fine. Bulged out a bit, but it was uniform, doesnt look bad.

Edited by TommyD

I just picked up a used 930SPX. Since the place I shoot my matches limits tube capacity at 8 I would like to add the ability to add one more round. What would be the best way to do this?

Thnks

Nordic makes extra long mag tube caps, one is 3/4" and the other 1.5" longer than standard cap. Check their site. I ordered the XXL one, even though some have posted that the XL allowed an extra round in the tube.

You need to make sure the treads are compatible, unless you already have a Nordic extended mag tube.

Mark

I did the same with my JM Pro 10. Now I can easily get ten rounds in the tube, one in the chamber and even ghost load a 12th round. It works like a charm. :bow:

• 3 weeks later...

What do i do to get it to run on lite loads? mine runs great on heavy stuff

Have you tried light loads?

If you have and it's not running well, I would tear it down and really clean the gas system and bolt, then lube the bolt well. Mine runs target loads with no issues.

Mark

Have you tried light loads?

If you have and it's not running well, I would tear it down and really clean the gas system and bolt, then lube the bolt well. Mine runs target loads with no issues.

Mark

it will not cycle AA's %100 have cleaned and ran a little lube on the bolt carrier?? where it rides in the frame, it runs all hot ammo like a champ, I am at the 350rds mark threw the gun

Are you using the AA or the AA Low recoil loads? Does yours run the Winchester 100 round, bulk pack "universal" rounds from Wally world OK? Bulk pack is cheaper than any of the AA loads around here, so that's what I prefer to shoot.

You may just have to break it in a little more.

the value pack winchester stuff from walmart runs at about %80 with the failures being the empty gets caught in the ejection port and the gets caught up when it trys to get the fresh round into the chamber

the AA loads i tried are just plain jane trap or skeet loads not the low recoil ones

Edited by jamie213

Mine too sticks to a diet of the Walmart Federal Bulk packs, but I've also had the Reminton and Winchester packs through it too with zero issues. The ONLY thing it's ever choked on was those white box Winchester rounds... the ones with the heavily ribbed casings. Not sure if it's the texture or the light load but they just don't eject well. Same problem in our Rem 1100.

the value pack winchester stuff from walmart runs at about %80 with the failures being the empty gets caught in the ejection port and the gets caught up when it trys to get the fresh round into the chamber

the AA loads i tried are just plain jane trap or skeet loads not the low recoil ones

I'm thinking you need to send that gun back to mossberg for a check up

being in Canada its a tad harder to do.....but the more i shoot it the better its getting anyone ever need to break there's in?

should add it started its life as a 28" ported but i had it cut down to 20"

do the shorter barrels have bigger gas ports?

Edited by jamie213

You may have already tried this, but with mine it was just a dirty gas system. I had alot of FTE and at least one of the "stovepipe" failures you described.

It had not been cleaned in a while. Cleaned everything up real good and then gave it a dry moly lube. Didnt want future debris getting caught up and collecting in wet lube.

It ran fine for me after this, in cold weather, which is definitely proving grounds for 930's which are known to slow down quite a bit.

Here's a possibility, and it may not be the problem at all but here goes.

When re-assembling, the seal ring fits perfectly in the gas piston when it's installed backward. I don't know if that's causing your problem but it's worth looking at.

Line 2, page 17 clearly states "angled surface must face out"

http://www.mossbergs.com/manuals/930_935.pdf

Steve