Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

My new mag tube spring from Nordic arrived this afternoon. The difference in stiffness between it and the stock spring are considerable. The good news is that rounds come out of the mag tube much more positively. The bad news is that I can no longer fit 10 in the tube (I have the XL cap on mine). I had to trim it down to about 8" to get it to spit a round out of the tube when I loaded 9. Before trimming it that much, I reckon there was too much spring tension and everything was just bound-up. I don't want to cut it any shorter lest I create the same problem I had before.

Reading the other thread about failures to fire, I'll give the gas system an extra thorough cleaning and polish and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

I still think I'm going to end up with an M2 next year though.

Edited by Buckeye67

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will say this.....I worked AM Stage 5 at the Pro Am and there was not one single brand of shotgun that did not have issues.......I saw Benellis puke, Mossbergs, Remys, FN, Saiga, Akdals and all the myriad of other things people will shoot to get by. While the ROs shot, we have a member that uses a JM 930 and he and his son used the same gun for the match. His JM messed up while his son was shooting the aerial clay stage. He borrowed a different gun to finish his match, but then I gave him shells to try in his JM after our squad was done. He did NOTHING to his gun, I gave him 9 rounds, and he went 9 for 10 on the clays with no hiccup. I started shooting a Remy 12 yrs ago and it had issues as I was setting it up to run Open. I then went to a Saiga, and say what you want, but I actually had one that worked 100% in matches once I did mods myself and ran GOOD ammo. Don't go to a big match and use the cheapest stuff you can buy at Walmart when you have paid good money to be in the match. Situations changed and I changed over to tactical and started out with a Mossberg 930 SPX....it would work but needed more capacity, chokes, and vent rib instead of ghost ring sights. That is when I saw an opportunity to sell it and get a 930 Waterfowl and build it into a 3 gun shotgun. I have been running the gun for 2 plus years and have cleaned it 3 times total. I am fortunate to be able to home gunsmith and have no fear of messing my guns up as I have a gunsmith capable of fixing mistakes that I may ( BUT HAVE NOT) make!!! I also have one of the first 25 JM 930s to be made and it functions perfectly right out of the box since I received it at the first of the year. It has been cleaned once and that was after 8 British guys shared it for a week of shooting. My point is ALL guns have issues and there is NO ONE PERFECT OPTION out there. I could buy any gun out there for competition and I CHOSE Mossberg because the platform has the potential to work very well in 3 gun. If you have issues with your guns, fix the issue, whether it is gun or ammo related and keep shooting, but don't bash a company for their products when they are trying to give us a factory option for our sport that doesn't cost as much as a used car. Soapbox over for now.......

My 930 has developed a serious "failure of round to be released from the feed tube" issue. It was fine stock, but as soon as I put the 9 round tube on it problems started. It would not load a round onto the lifter with hand cycling if the tube was loaded past 4 rounds. This was been a common issue that others have seen. But now that issue has propagated into firing actual rounds. I now have problems with the gun locking back the bolt like it's empty when the tube is still full. And then when you hit the bolt release it dumps rounds out the bottom.

I feel like it's an issue with the mechanics of the parts which release the round from the tube. It stems from the issue of not loading with a full tube while hand cycling. I think I just need to get in a polish and clean up the interacting surfaces of all those mechanisms. Also sounds like I should clean my piston, which has never been done.

What is your Nordic spring length? Mine is 35-1/2". Has worked like a champ, thousands of rounds over 2 years. Although mine is not the "JM" (jam-o-Matic? LOL) it's with the 24" non-ported barrel I ordered.

My 930 has developed a serious "failure of round to be released from the feed tube" issue. It was fine stock, but as soon as I put the 9 round tube on it problems started. It would not load a round onto the lifter with hand cycling if the tube was loaded past 4 rounds. This was been a common issue that others have seen. But now that issue has propagated into firing actual rounds. I now have problems with the gun locking back the bolt like it's empty when the tube is still full. And then when you hit the bolt release it dumps rounds out the bottom.

I feel like it's an issue with the mechanics of the parts which release the round from the tube. It stems from the issue of not loading with a full tube while hand cycling. I think I just need to get in a polish and clean up the interacting surfaces of all those mechanisms. Also sounds like I should clean my piston, which has never been done.

What is your Nordic spring length? Mine is 35-1/2". Has worked like a champ, thousands of rounds over 2 years. Although mine is not the "JM" (jam-o-Matic? LOL) it's with the 24" non-ported barrel I ordered.

Shouldn't the spring length depend on the mag tube length? Nordic told me they recommend a minimum of 12" of spring sticking out of tube for reliable function. Seems like a lot, as I am running a Wolff spring cut to 9" beyond end of tube, and the Wolff is perceptibly less stiff than the Nordic I purchased as backup. 930JM feeds fine with the shortened Wolff, and is super easy to load, easier than uncut factory spring. Anyone running their Nordic shorter than 12" with reliable function?

Did not mean to sidetrack discussion.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a used 930SPX. Since the place I shoot my matches limits tube capacity at 8 I would like to add the ability to add one more round. What would be the best way to do this?

Thnks

Nordic makes extra long mag tube caps, one is 3/4" and the other 1.5" longer than standard cap. Check their site. I ordered the XXL one, even though some have posted that the XL allowed an extra round in the tube.

You need to make sure the treads are compatible, unless you already have a Nordic extended mag tube.

Mark

I just picked up a used 930SPX. Since the place I shoot my matches limits tube capacity at 8 I would like to add the ability to add one more round. What would be the best way to do this?

Thnks

Nordic makes extra long mag tube caps, one is 3/4" and the other 1.5" longer than standard cap. Check their site. I ordered the XXL one, even though some have posted that the XL allowed an extra round in the tube.

You need to make sure the treads are compatible, unless you already have a Nordic extended mag tube.

Mark

It's stock for now.

Thnks

• 2 weeks later...

Mark

Factory spring should be gtg right?

Who can weld up the lifter and who makes a good bolt handle for the 930

C-Rums or Triangle on the lifter.

Nordic has a round bolt handle - http://shop.nordiccomp.com/NC-Bolt-Operating-Handle-for-Mossberg-930-SPX-935-BOH-MB-12-00.htm

Choate has a flag style - http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/product/BTH/02-10-02

I'm running the Choate and have had no problems. I'm going to try the Nordic since i won one at a match.:)

Mark

Factory spring should be gtg right?

Added the XXL cap and factory spring feels ok as fa as tension. Have not fired it with longer cap but would be surprised if it doesn't work. Factory spring will be backup for cut down nordic spring.

Mark

My bolt handle is a piece of 300 win mag brass cut down to a length I liked and ground a little on the factory handle to fit in the brass and put some steel stick in it and rolled with it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

Not that i had to check, but i see you are from down south too.

My bolt handle is a piece of 300 win mag brass cut down to a length I liked and ground a little on the factory handle to fit in the brass and put some steel stick in it and rolled with it.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

True W.E.C.S.O.G.*

*Wile E. Coyote School of Gunsmithing