Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

mossburg 930

benny hill

Other than this scratch I've never had an issue with this gun. I'd estimate I have 700 rounds or so through it now so probably not quite as much as some of you that are able to practice more. I keep mine clean. The gas system cleans up easily with Slip 2000 575, or Hoppes M7 and scotch bright pads. I've had the ring off once before, I just pried it apart a bit like a c-clip. It' wasn't that dirty so if it seems to move freely I don't mess with it. The only lube I put in the gas system is a light coat of that cheap Remoil silicone based aerosol. That seems to cut down on the amount of carbon that can build up.

Wonder if a spare piston wouldn't be a good thing to keep in the range bag.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other than this scratch I've never had an issue with this gun. I'd estimate I have 700 rounds or so through it now so probably not quite as much as some of you that are able to practice more. I keep mine clean. The gas system cleans up easily with Slip 2000 575, or Hoppes M7 and scotch bright pads. I've had the ring off once before, I just pried it apart a bit like a c-clip. It' wasn't that dirty so if it seems to move freely I don't mess with it. The only lube I put in the gas system is a light coat of that cheap Remoil silicone based aerosol. That seems to cut down on the amount of carbon that can build up.

Wonder if a spare piston wouldn't be a good thing to keep in the range bag.

I've got another piston somewhere at home I just need to find it. I don't think I threw it out when I moved but there's no telling where it is.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

It spits the round out of the tube onto the lifter (mostly) and then doesn't feed into the chamber. Yesterday's failure only came 3:4 of the way out of the tube, and I had to pull it out the rest of the way with my finger, then hit the bolt release button

Mag tube is my guess also. My friends shotgun was doing it also.New spring fixed that problem. My 930 didnt extract rounds on 2 stages really killing my times.

I reckon I'll order a new spring from Nordic. I had hoped to catch them today, but it looked like they'd packed things up when I got there. Still though, one would think that Mossberg would include a spring that worked with the gun from the factory. Three different 930s this weekend that I know of had the same issue. Hopefully the new spring will solve problem.

Any ideas on the light primer strikes? (Besides sending it to Benny :bow: )

Edited by Buckeye67

I reckon I'll order a new spring from Nordic. I had hoped to catch them today, but it looked like they'd packed things up when I got there. Still though, one would think that Mossberg would include a spring that worked with the gun from the factory. Three different 930s this weekend that I know of had the same issue. Hopefully the new spring will solve problem.

Clip 3 coils off the firing pin spring.

I'll give it a whirl.

I really want to like the gun. Having it crap out mid-stage (especially that stage) was maddening.

I'll give it a whirl.

I really want to like the gun. Having it crap out mid-stage (especially that stage) was maddening.

Mine took a dump on pro stage 8, first stage I shot. Should have packed it up and went home then. But borrowed a shotgun, shot pro 7 today and shot 9 slugs for 2 hits. Damn seeing too much rib......but live and learn.

I'll give it a whirl.

Mine took a dump on pro stage 8, first stage I shot. Should have packed it up and went home then. But borrowed a shotgun, shot pro 7 today and shot 9 slugs for 2 hits. Damn seeing too much rib......but live and learn.

I ended up finishing the match using my "old faithful" Remington 1100 Competition Master. It has never let me down. It's just a pain to load. :blush:

My JM Pro ran 100% at the Pro Am. So far over 1000 rounds with no malfunctions. And it eats everything I feed it. I can't say the same for my SLP.

Edited by Kang8r

Hmmmm... Do we have am gunsmiths messing with these and causing as many issues as they alleviate?

Yeah I'm a hack and I admit it. But only thing I've done is open the feed port on mine cover the ports and round out the lifter. Nothing an am smith couldn't do themselves.

My brother's 930 is completely unmodified.

I put a nordic follower in mine and opened up the loading port.

Mine had the same issue(s) a time or two prior to my doing so.

My lifter hasn't had anything done to it.

Here is my pro tip of the day. After talking with Mr M at pro am...... Take your piston out of the sleeve on the bottom of the barrel, clean the gas ports in the barrel with a pick of some sort. While you have the piston in hand, shake it, if the rings don't move freely and rattle, pry them off the piston and make the sum biotches shine. I thought that mine were clean until I grabbed my other piston and saw how free the rings were on it in comparison. I put cleaned the snot out of my rings with a pick and a wire wheel on my dremel. I guess I didn't realize just how gummed up they get with carbon and whatever else.

Hopefully I'll get to run over to a friends house this week and see what's up but I am seriously hoping that is the problem.

if you shortened your lifter any at all by rounding the ends, you probably have caused it to hold the shell low because its too short to feed properly

It's not shortened. The left and right legs are still the same length. Only thing I did was round the half moon cut in the bottom. The cut isn't any further back than stock it just doesn't have the step on the left and right sides like it did from the factory.

It spits the round out of the tube onto the lifter (mostly) and then doesn't feed into the chamber. Yesterday's failure only came 3:4 of the way out of the tube, and I had to pull it out the rest of the way with my finger, then hit the bolt release button

This sounds like tube spring issue. The bolt release is activated by the shell rim hitting it at the back of the catch. If the shell doesn't get back far enough, it won't release. Try a longer spring.

As to the 930 in general, I've been running one for almost three years. I've had a few problems in matches, but have determined they were ammo related, not the gun. I didn't find this out till we were shooting trap for 3G practice one day and when it didn't go bang, was able to keep the shell that did not fire. It appeared to be light primer strikes but i have only had the issue with the black Remingtom Game loads. No problems with any others.

All in all, I still think the JM Pro 930 is the best value for a 3G SG. Yes, there are guns that are better, but the cost is more than double and NONE of them are 100% reliable. I have RO'ed a good bit and seen every brand fail at some point. My 930 will fail at some point too, but since they are all made by imperfect people, they all will. Add in a little wear and tear, and you can pretty much take it to the bank. But, if you bought a 930, there will be some money left at the bank to fix it with.

Just my $.02. Soap box returned to closet.

My 930 has developed a serious "failure of round to be released from the feed tube" issue. It was fine stock, but as soon as I put the 9 round tube on it problems started. It would not load a round onto the lifter with hand cycling if the tube was loaded past 4 rounds. This was been a common issue that others have seen. But now that issue has propagated into firing actual rounds. I now have problems with the gun locking back the bolt like it's empty when the tube is still full. And then when you hit the bolt release it dumps rounds out the bottom.

I feel like it's an issue with the mechanics of the parts which release the round from the tube. It stems from the issue of not loading with a full tube while hand cycling. I think I just need to get in a polish and clean up the interacting surfaces of all those mechanisms. Also sounds like I should clean my piston, which has never been done.

Edited by jid2

Check spring tension in mag tube and measure the rear shell stop spring. Nuke did a great job of talking about all this in another thread.

The rear shell stop should be about .450 or close....mine was .400 and what's feeding right.

To the guys with rounds hanging up in the tube, check the joint where the mag tube meets the tube extension. My factory tube edge was slightly smaller that the extension, and my follower was hanging up on that edge. This could explain why it only hangs up with more than 4 rounds in the gun.

I flared the edge of my mag tube where it meets the extension with a dremmel, and also slightly broke the edge around the outside the follower with a file. This fixed the problem on my gun.

Hope that helps.