Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How to clean a range bag?

Neomet

Love my SC range bag. After several years here in the sand and dust of the SW and specifically this years Nats the outside of my bag is so grungy that just wiping it down isn't doing it justice. Anybody have suggestions on how to

give one a deep clean?

Hello: I use my compressor and 100lbs of pressure. It blows all the fine dust and rocks off of it very well. I then use a garden hose and wet it down slightly. I then blow it off again. The bag will come out looking new when it dries in the sun. Thanks, Eric

I don't even have a real "range bag." I poor-boy it with an old duffel bag.

But when I was younger, I did a lot of camping and backpacking. When a pack or bag needed cleaning, I took it in the back yard and turned the garden hose on it. Used a little dish soap when necessary.

After it dried thoroughly, I'd spray it with some of that silicon spray that's meant to waterproof boots.

That process, about once a year, through some fairly hard use, kept my gear looking good for years.

I'd think the same would work for range bags. YMMV.

I've filled the bathtub with hot water, added a small amt of laundry detergent and pet urine remover (my wife's cats hate my shooting stuff). Agitated it and scrubbed areas with a scrub brush. Rinse with water and hang to dry.

About twice a year, I totally empty the bag out (you would be amazed the number of "lost" things you will find). I then take it outside and shake the hell out of it. I further vacuum out the corners with my shop vac, and if necessary blow stuff out with the air compressor.

The outside is starting to look a little grungy, so I anticipate using one of those foaming upholstery cleaners, that you scrub in, let dry and then vacuum off.

Mark K.

Hello: You let the cats pee on your range bag :surprise: Time to have a talk with the cat and take him on a long walk on a short pier :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Range bag, rifle cases, my safe. One actually got inside of my range bag and went. I keep everything in my office, but my wife will go in for something and forget to close the door. I hate my wife's cats and it was to the point where we were going to take a nice drive to the country, but it just stopped. They have run out of chances though and the next time it happens ...http://www.brianenos.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/ph34r.gif

Edited by prreed10

Hello: You let the cats pee on your range bag :surprise: Time to have a talk with the cat and take him on a long walk on a short pier :roflol: Thanks, Eric

Range bag, rifle cases, my safe. One actually got in my range bag one time. I keep everything in my office, but my wife will forget to close the door. I hate my wife's cats and was to the point where we were going to take a nice drive to the country, but it just stopped. They have run out of chanced and the next time it happens ... :ph34r:

I asked this once on the forums a long time ago

"Clean Gun into a grungy bag"

What I ended up doing was empty it out

Find all of my lost spare parts and two lost CR belt keepers (yea!!!) brush & air blast the large chunks off

Go to the local Laundromat and wash in cold water quick cycle in and industrial size washer

And then blast with air to get most of the water out and hung up to air dry.

After it was as clean as it was going to get and dry, I sprayed it down with two cans of camp dry.

Makes all further cleaning with a hose so much easier.

Worked ok but I would not put it through a second wash cycle for fear it will unravel or shrink to tactical GI Joe sized.

My old uncle mikes rifle bag did disinigrate into its base component materials . . . six months & $50.00 and a new bag later it’s now funny.

And now that I think about it . . . this probably was another contributing factor to getting me banned from that Laundromat.

And now that I think about it . . . this probably was another contributing factor to getting me banned from that Laundromat.

I guess this was the same laundromat?

you've been thrown out of your local Laundromat because you washed your Barney bullets.

yep same one . . . but i'm up to being banned from a total of 3 now.

1 was ammo & range bags

2 was ammo (But to be fair this as owned by the same family as #1 and when he saw me I was voted off the island . . again)

3 was running my Gore-tex Rain gear through the dryer to reset the wash in water proofing (there is a Mild oder that the managment took exception to.)

lessons learned were

do your weird laundry when no one is looking. (ohh and check your tactical pockets for bullets)

Clean Gun + Range Bags + Skivies = Happy Shooter.

And the rest are Silly Details

2 was ammo (But to be fair this as owned by the same family as #1 and when he saw me I was voted off the island . . again)

Sounds like my house, my wife finds a bullet clanking around in the bottom of the washer at least once a month. She used to freak out, but has given up and doesn't even say anything anymore just lays it on the folded clean laundry. :roflol:

Hello: I use my compressor and 100lbs of pressure. It blows all the fine dust and rocks off of it very well. I then use a garden hose and wet it down slightly. I then blow it off again. The bag will come out looking new when it dries in the sun. Thanks, Eric

Eric, stop encouraging Pat!! :roflol:

Eric, stop encouraging Pat!! :roflol:

Hey, I learned it from Eric. He's my idol!:roflol:

Pat

Sounds like my house, my wife finds a bullet clanking around in the bottom of the washer at least once a month. She used to freak out, but has given up and doesn't even say anything anymore just lays it on the folded clean laundry. :roflol:

My wife finally washed a couple of her own bullets, so she doesn't give me crap about it anymore. :D