Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not recomended !

gunsablazin

This is not what I would call the best pre-match prep, but you can't argue with the results. Last Friday night after a bad day at work (this was the night before our local IDPA match) I decided to have a few beers and unwind, I wound up on the phone with a co-worker and talked until 1:20am, and drank alot more than a few beers. I woke up late Sat. morning badly hungover with no time or inclination to eat breakfast, :sick: made it to the range in time to help set up etc. I was in bad shape. I shot 5 stages in the main event CDP and stayed for a 6 stage BUG match. I ended up 1st CDP and high overall of 53 shooters in the main match and 2nd overall in the BUG match shooting a j-frame .38 I shot one of the best stages of my life, CDP firing 16 rds at 8 targets from 2 positions in 8.24 sec. down 0 ! The only thing I can figure is the misery from the hangover blocked out any desire to try or even care and left only the shooting. I don't plan to make an experiment to see if it works again, ZEN without alcohol is better, but I still can't get over shooting that well feeling that bad.

YMMV :cheers:

In college I shot my best scores in Trap and Skeet the morning after a hard night of drinking. Like you, I was sober for shooting but could only think of what I had to do; call pull, pull the trigger and say ouch in my head. Shot many 100 straights this way. My best friend had the same experience with great results. Don't recommend it but it definitely took the negative mental game away from what I was doing. Needless to say I haven’t repeated the pre-night prep like that since.

I was posting a topic and mentioned the same thing :)

We once went to another city to shoot. Went early and planned to stay there for a few days.

We go out, party all night and with only about 2,3 hours of sleep go to the range.

You could see we were dead tired and all sc..wed up but we didn't want to give up, being the best two girl shooters there. OMG, my hands were shaking the whole match and it was the biggest I ever shot (most stages).

Well, the other girl got a DQ on a tricky stage (along with many more shooters) and I finished it all. And won a second place. But it was so hard focusing. Drank at least 3 red bulls to stay awake and not colapse.

The only thing that helped was a lot of adrenaline, I guess I was scared not to embarass myself :) as you say, won't experiment like this again, but it was a cool thing, having fun and shooting all in the same weekend.

I hate to say it, but I've shot some of my best scores/matches when i was soooo tired i should have stayed at home??? funny, i guess you go on 'autopilot' and all the other stuffthat usually tries to creep in and screw things up doesnt...I got off work at 4am an drove to a sectional match, where when i finally did manage to get what??? 2 hrs of some sleep, joked i should just get my match fee back and go home...shot like i didnt care, which i didnt, an amazingly enuff i won my class...go figure???

This one time at band camp...

Actually I was shooting the National Archery Championships in Vegas. I was nervous during ghe wram up session and an old friend walked by and noticed. He brought me a coke told me to drink it and to relax.

I came in third over all. Later I found out that it was a very strong glass of EVERCLEAR and Coke. I don't recommend shooting and drinking but it sure cured my nerves that day.

Been there done that Brother,

Glad you had a good match despite the ill feelings and dehydration. I have had similar results before. One of the things that I have noticed to help me with nerves is Valerian root. At times it works great, other times seems to have no effect.

I will agree that often the harder I try, the worser I get, so just letting the body take over and get the job done is often when I tend to shoot the best. But since I can't even bend over to tie my shoes when I have a hangover, I think I'll pass on shooting (my god, the noise alone would do me in).

I will agree that often the harder I try, the worser I get, so just letting the body take over and get the job done is often when I tend to shoot the best. ...

I often start very well, shoot a couple great (for me) stages. :) Then I start thinking I could do well. :D then all 4 wheels come of the wagon at once! :surprise:

Edit: correct a typo.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

I have found that I am jacked up the night before some big matches and just don't get enough sleep,(or as much as I want) and I have had some of my best matches.

I think it is because my mind is sort of relaxed and in some ways open to possibilities that are not seen by the anxiety pre-match mind.

A severe hangover is one way to guarantee that you will be shooting in the sub-conscious. However, if it works, it will work pretty good. If it doesn't, it will be VERY VERY bad.

Wasn't worth it! I'll be shooting on a good nights sleep and hot pre match breakfast in the future. I've won matches in much better shape before, and enjoyed the day a whole lot more. I shoot to relax and have fun with my range buddies, winning occasionally is a happy side effect! :lol:

I remember that some of my best on-court basketball efforts in high school was when I was fighting off a cold or the flu. It was always interesting to me to hear people tell me how hard I played and how well I did when I thought I was dying out there.

Question: I wonder how overcompensation plays into the equation?

I also have a zone in my golf game that is much better after a few cold beverages, however, there is a margin of diminishing returns! :blink:

Cheers,

Kyle

I remember that some of my best on-court basketball efforts in high school was when I was fighting off a cold or the flu. It was always interesting to me to hear people tell me how hard I played and how well I did when I thought I was dying out there.

I also have a zone in my golf game that is much better after a few cold beverages, however, there is a margin of diminishing returns! :blink:

That's true for me, and I'm sure many others, for many activities. I could ride my dirt bike better after a beer, or 2, at the absolute max. I also shoot pool better after a couple cold ones. At that point, for me, I realize I perform better because I become less careful and more fearless. But performance starts to drop after about beer number 3 due to a loss of fine visual and motor skills.

be

That's true for me, and I'm sure many others, for many activities. I could ride my dirt bike better after a beer, or 2, at the absolute max. I also shoot pool better after a couple cold ones. At that point, for me, I realize I perform better because I become less careful and more fearless. But performance starts to drop after about beer number 3 due to a loss of fine visual and motor skills.

be

Yeah well I think I sing Karaoke like a rock star after 3 or more, as you say, however I'm not sure others would agree. Recently at the TX State Carbine match 6 friends had the room with all the beer and one of the guys drank himself stupid the night before the match and was puking at the range, he beat all of us, go figure. :goof:

be

Yeah well I think I sing Karaoke like a rock star after 3 or more, as you say, however I'm not sure others would agree. Recently at the TX State Carbine match 6 friends had the room with all the beer and one of the guys drank himself stupid the night before the match and was puking at the range, he beat all of us, go figure. :goof:

Haven't you guys learned anything from life :roflol: ? Almost all have said they hated shooting with a hangover, but almost all did well in the match. The point being, when there is something that you must do that hurts you, most try to get it over with as soon as possible to limit the amount of hurt that you feel. Therefore they shoot A's fast and don't miss, thereby limiting the amount of reloads (and the amount of loud bangs in their ears!), and running faster between shots, getting the stage over more quickly. That and just not caring about a damn thing at that time other than making their head stop throbbing! :roflol:

Edited by GrumpyOne

• 11 months later...

This one time at band camp...

Actually I was shooting the National Archery Championships in Vegas. I was nervous during ghe wram up session and an old friend walked by and noticed. He brought me a coke told me to drink it and to relax.

I came in third over all. Later I found out that it was a very strong glass of EVERCLEAR and Coke. I don't recommend shooting and drinking but it sure cured my nerves that day.

I have been to that shoot as a spectator (World Archery Festival) and can see how it could make you nervous...