Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brass Sorting Machine

Bucky

I remember a range I used to belong to had a machine that would sort brass by caliber. Basically you'd dump the brass from the range in the top and it would sort the different size cases in different bins. Unfortunately, that range has since been closed. Anyone heard or know where one could be obtained?

TIA.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Camdex machine looks OK if you can also play pinball.

My local range just has a set of 3 "grills" with spacing to stop .45, then .40, and then 9mm cases. They still have to sort out the different 9mm (Super, Luger, etc.), but it looks cheap and straightforward.

I don't know where they go the grills with specific spacing, though.

DogmaDog

My two brass-sorting machines are at the ends of my arms.....

How do you feed them? Electrically? Hydraulically? Pneumatically?

Do they have different sieves for different brass, or do they have an adjustable one?

How much maintenace/cleaning do they require?

:D

"How much maintenance/cleaning do they require?"
Just enough to scrub off the gun-cleaning solutions and the soot left over from those 200-rd shooting sessions. Adjustments in the sieve dept amount to opposable thumbs and nimble forfingers....... ;) Feeding? Pizza is good.... and lots of coffee. B)

And the hijacking of the thread begins... <sigh>.

Eric, Dogmadog, John, thanks for all the tips. I plan on looking into all of them, especailly the "grill" idea. I also contacted Scharch Manufacturing.

Anyone else have info? Want as many options as possible.

TIA.

Somebody down in Houston or thereabouts was making one that looked somewhat similar to the Scharch. Soon as I saw the price was in the multi-K range, I lost interest, so I don't have much more idea where to look.

• 11 months later...
And the hijacking of the thread begins... <sigh>.

Eric, Dogmadog, John, thanks for all the tips. I plan on looking into all of them, especailly the "grill" idea. I also contacted Scharch Manufacturing.

Anyone else have info? Want as many options as possible.

TIA.

If you find anything workable, please let me know. I too have been searching, to no avail, to find something economical. I have a large amount of brass at my disposal, but hand sorting is WAY too slow. Those who choose to use the "sorters at the end of their arms" can't quite grasp the idea of sorting 300,000 rounds.

FYI, I have explored making something myself, and it ain't easy. The "grill" idea may work to break things down a bit, but .32, .380, and 9mm are hard to separate, and my device has mixed 9mm and .40 on occasion. It looks to me that a combination of height/diameter selection would make things work the best.

The CAMDEX looks great, but I was hoping for something in the $100-200 range.

THanks!

F6

I can tell you I'm pretty sure there's nothing decent in the sub-$1000 range... :(

I've toyed with designs for one for a while, but the mechanicals are tricky. There sure are a lot of patents on auto-brass-sorters though.

Guest Larry Cazes
The CAMDEX looks great, but I was hoping for something in the $100-200 range.

This seems pretty unlikely, even if you do build it yourself.

I've toyed with designs for one for a while, but the mechanicals are tricky.  There sure are a lot of patents on auto-brass-sorters though.

Just don't sell the thing for a profit. Make your own....

Yeah.. my somewhat obtuse point there was obviously a lot of people have wanted one and designed one. The lack of available units for sale tells me they're harder to make work than to design and patent (working models no longer being required for patents, there's a lot of pretty paper that doesn't really work at the PTO)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
I remember a range I used to belong to had a machine that would sort brass by caliber. Basically you'd dump the brass from the range in the top and it would sort the different size cases in different bins. Unfortunately, that range has since been closed. Anyone heard or know where one could be obtained?

TIA.

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I am a new member here. Did you ever find, make a sorter? I have access to thousands of rounds of range brass also ........

TIA.

Sorry to reply to an old thread, but I am a new member here. Did you ever find, make a sorter? I have access to thousands of rounds of range brass also ........

The graduated sieves (posted elsewhere on here) works pretty well for a hand-operated sorter, and somebody posted a video of a parallel-bars sorter, but that was about it.

You know I was just thinking, this looks like something Dillon or Hornady could put on the market without much trouble very quickly. Must be a patent issue, which was mentioned before. Uhh... the sorterhopper from the other thread that is. :)

Edited by DarkSmileyX

The graduated sieves (posted elsewhere on here) works pretty well for a hand-operated sorter, and somebody posted a video of a parallel-bars sorter, but that was about it.

Here's that thread. http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...&pid=539241

If I recall correctly that is what Atlanta Arms and Ammo uses and I have seen it work and it works well. I am sure Danny Lawrence would be happy to answer any questions and sell you some ammo in the process.

Here's another idea. What we need is a brass sorting cooperative. A group buys the machine and sorts for a small fee or a percentage of the brass. No one would ever get rich but it might put some spending money in the pocket of that brass sorter that was created over the bottle of wine. :)

Charles Bond