Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

For 9mm MAJOR Topics

benos

Sarge,

Thanks for the reality check. I've put about 1500 125 grain BBIs through my Trubor and like it ok, but I tried some 115 grain HAP and liked the snap more than the push of 125s. Cleaned the comp and used hornady one shot every 50 or so rounds and it worked fine.

I'm getting a FGW open gun soon and wanted to make sure I wasn't neglecting to try 115s. Besides, cheaper bullets equals more training, right?

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I run montana gold 115g buy them by the case and they are pretty reasonable. I really like them, having no exposed led they don't smoke either. Never ran coated lead. Picked up some for .40 but I haven't had a chance to shoot them.

• 1 month later...

What are thought on VVn105 for 9 major and AA#7?

Depending on your setup, you might not make major with a full case of N105, or you may have to increase bullet weight to make it which is going the wrong direction in my opinion. If you're going to spend the money on VV powder, 3n38 under a 115 MG JHP is as good as it gets in a 9, if you don't want to spend VV money I suggest HS6, WAC or Silhouette.

I've heard of plenty of people using AA7 in 9mm, should do fine.

Edited by kneelingatlas

What are thought on VVn105 for 9 major and AA#7?

AA#7 is a VERY dirty. With both of those powders you will will probably be on the ragged edge of 165 with three barrel holes and 5.5. KKM barrels are typically faster than STI barrels, but you will still be close.

You might make it with N105, but long term it is not the best. With both powders you will be filling the case pretty full and be slopping powder. There are other powders that do not fill the case and make for great loads. HS6, Silhouette, Autocomp, True Blue, Vit N350. Remember, barrels do require more powder sometime down the road.

• 2 months later...

Any suggestion on 147gr 9mm? I'm running 147g at 5.4gr autocmp @1.122aol

For MAJOR? You want light bullets, not heavy ones. Heavy bullets means less powder, means less gas , means less comp effect.

OK So I went with a 115gr @ 7.14 autocomp @1.150 OAL and there is a noticeable difference. 5 shot average was 1526fps and my pf was 175 and some change if I did the math right.

The 147g @ 5.4 autocomp @1.144 OAL 5 shot average was 1177 pf of 173, again if I did the math right.

I'm guessing the 147 was a bit softer but the 115 where very flat and quicker to follow up. Just my guess. Who knows he may have found a winning balance between weight and gas for his set up. I never went higher then 124s. 115 shot flatter at same pf. To me that was what I wanted

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Just purchased my 650 from here and have only been shooting production. My intent was just to learn to reload on my 9s and next year buy a limited 40.

However my question is would it be possible to safely load and shoot 9mm major in my Glock 34?

If not stock is it possible with modifications?

It would. Be possible. It would require a comp and this would put you into open class. You can't score 9 maj in limited so doing so without a comp would be pointless. Production is minor only. Limited 9 would be minor as well. If you want to go open there are several good options for threaded barrels and comps as well as optic mounts and mag wells.

If you just want to shoot major for range fun I wouldn't advise it. It will be very harsh. If you have a ported barrel like a 34C you could load some nice ammo to work the ports w/o loading to major. Just a light bullet and some slow powder.

Just purchased my 650 from here and have only been shooting production. My intent was just to learn to reload on my 9s and next year buy a limited 40.

However my question is would it be possible to safely load and shoot 9mm major in my Glock 34?

If not stock is it possible with modifications?

Bad idea 9 major, great idea to learn to load

• 2 weeks later...

I'm guessing the 147 was a bit softer but the 115 where very flat and quicker to follow up. Just my guess. Who knows he may have found a winning balance between weight and gas for his set up. I never went higher then 124s. 115 shot flatter at same pf. To me that was what I wanted

Big difference in muzzle rise, the 115's are flat with fast follow ups and the 147's feel like a factory gun, no point with the 147's other than practice.

9 mm open

we have just got or open gun built

I am looking for load data for a 124gn with hs6 powder to shoot in open major

any help would be much appreciated

Please check out the 9mm reloading section . Or try typing HS6 in the search box. I just did and got 1000 results. You will have to do some reading but you'll find hundreds of recipes with HS6. Edited by Sarge

9 mm open

we have just got or open gun built

I am looking for load data for a 124gn with hs6 powder to shoot in open major

any help would be much appreciated

It could take anywhere from 7.5-8.5gr depending on the bullet, OAL, barrel length, number/size of holes in the barrel.