Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple Prescriptions for Close Up and Distance?

blind bat

With glasses, anytime that you are not looking through the optical center of the lens ( which may not be the actual center of the lens), prism is induced.   The farther away from the Optical center you get, the more prism that gets induced. Take your glasses off and hold them about six or 8 inches from your eye and move the glasses left and right.  Whatever you’re looking at will appear to move further. That’s the prism being induced. Contact lenses do not cause that.

The higher the prescription the more prism that is induced.

Yes, you will still have to get used to one eye corrected for distance and one for near, But it is much easier to do with contact lenses that is with glasses. Also, glasses cause there to be a slight change in the size the object Which you don’t get with contact lenses. Most people cannot tolerate monovision with glasses, but many can tolerate it with contact lenses.

Edited by B585

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, B585 said:

With glasses, anytime that you are not looking through the optical center of the lens ( which may not be the actual center of the lens), prism is induced.   The farther away from the Optical center you get, the more prism that gets induced. Take your glasses off and hold them about six or 8 inches from your eye and move the glasses left and right.  Whatever you’re looking at will appear to move further. That’s the prism being induced. Contact lenses do not cause that.

The higher the prescription the more prism that is induced.

Yes, you will still have to get used to one eye corrected for distance and one for near, But it is much easier to do with contact lenses that is with glasses. Also, glasses cause there to be a slight change in the size the object Which you don’t get with contact lenses. Most people cannot tolerate monovision with glasses, but many can tolerate it with contact lenses.

I see, thanks for clarifying.  Appears to be a better alternative to glasses.   OTOH, it wouldn't be practical for me though, since I only need the correction when it's my turn to shoot on a stage, while I don't use any correction while not shooting (aside from the brief moments when I'd just have to read something really up close).

Edited by sherpa25

Based on your prescription, assuming you are not far sighted and normal height, I would guess you are in your mid-40s which means you can probably wear contacts without too much trouble.  This vision problem is only going to get worse as you get older no matter what you do so try to get used to it now while your prescription isn’t very big.  Put the contact in first thing when you get up on the day of the match and leave it for the entire match.  Your brain will adjust better than trying to put it on (or wearing glasses) right before you shoot.  In USPSA, we are doing a lot more than just looking straight ahead or at the front sight.  You will be best served if you aren’t changing your vision just before you shoot.

• 3 weeks later...

i've posted  a  thread  maybe  4  years  ago  about this  specific  topic.  my  vision is  very  clear past my  front sight,but  kind  of  little  blurred  inside  arm's   distance,and  i  felt  the  need  to  address  this.  

went  to  my  eye  doctor  and  he  made   a  contact lens  for  my  dominant  eye  so  i  can see  my  FS  very  sharp  ,while  no  CL  in my  ND  eye. 

since  i'm still  shooting  with my ND  eye  half  close , so  my  dominant  takes  control, i  have  a  blurred  target  because  my contact lens  makes  the  target at distance  blurred....but it  doesn't matter  at all  because  we  all try  to  shoot in the  center  of  the  target which is  where  the  alpha  is. 

i'm now  used  to  see  a  blurred target, and  just pay attention to the FS  and  it  works  pretty good  for  me .of  course  i'm getting some  charlies lol, but it,s  shooter's  mistake  and  not related  to  a  bad  vision .

I just had a special prescription made with my right dominant eye focused on the front sight, and my left eye focused on distance aka the target. I try this out next week. Iron sights have been a problem for about a year as my eyesight deteriorated just enough that accuracy became compromised. I am 60 and only expect this to get worse with time. So far, red dots still work well with my normal nearsighted prescription, and magnifying optics with clear shooting glasses...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/12/2018 at 2:47 AM, boss281 said:

I just had a special prescription made with my right dominant eye focused on the front sight, and my left eye focused on distance aka the target...I am 60 ...

I had www.decot.com make me glasses as I use 1.75 readers and front sight is a blur without any correction.  20/20 distance vision. So, they made glasses which are plus 0.75 for my dominant eye (brings front sight in focus sharp) and clear for the other.  It has been working great for the last two years.

I'm awfully, awfully nearsighted and use contacts.  I'm working through this exact issue on my most recent Rx.. As I dont have anything close to 20/20 in my non-dominant eye, doing a single eye correction is out for me. What I've had to do is work closely with my optometrist to find something agreeable between both eyes.  After a long discussion, I found not only does he understand the shooting sports... he belongs to the same club!  Last visit, I walked out with multiple sets of lenses to test n the range and throughout the day and report back to him.

Long story short, talk to your optometrist, tell him or her specifically what you need and why. you may be surprised with the results.