Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multiple Prescriptions for Close Up and Distance?

blind bat

I'm 47, and my sight has gone silly bad in the last two years. Where I used to be able to wear my 'distance' prescription for everything, I now have to wear distance lenses for driving, reading lenses for reading and computer lenses for...wait for it....using the computer. :)

I've found the computer glasses work very well for the front sight (no surprise, as they're a 24-26" focal length) but won't let me FIND targets. Or walk around without bumping stuff. And monovision lenses seem like an expensive experiment. But I have a sneaky idea:

I've been buying glasses online for about six months now (I use eyebuydirect, but there are lots of places that can sell prescription lenses online) and can get a shatterproof, scratch resistant pair for about $11, with shipping. At that price, I can afford to experiment. My current plan-and I'd like to hear opinions on it-is to order three identical frames with near, intermediate and far prescriptions, then swap various lenses until I find a combo that can work for the front sight and seeing enough of the target to tell a no-shoot from a shoot, at least. I'm suspecting intermediate-shooting eye and distance-weak side eye might do the trick.

If it fails, I'll have three add'l pairs of glasses, and be out ~$35. If it works, I'm the frugal genius my grandmother always encouraged me to be....:)

Any suggestions or ideas?

Larry

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My eye doctor had this big ugly set of glasses where he could change the lenses to different prescriptions as I was looking through my sites. I just picked the one I liked the best.

My shooting eye was backed off about .25 if I remember right. Then had a pair of Rudy inserts made up like that and one regular so I can use the Rudy's for normal sun glasses as well.

He also offered a 30 day trial period. It might be good to ask for this in case the first try doesn't work out.

At my last eye exam the optometrist created a special shooting prescription for me with my natural point of focus on the front sight. I recently compared my two prescriptions using a plate rack at 10 yards and found there to be a .5 - 1s advantage using the shooting prescription. However, I need to go back to my normal prescription for 25 yard group shooting because the target is too blurry to get a precise idea of where I'm trying to aim.

I'm going to have a set of Rudy glass made up now that I'm certain the shooting rx is not just a placebo but I can't afford to have two sets of glasses. My quandary is the technique for shooting things like the IDPA classifier. Especially stage three. Do shooters with these type of prescription shooting glasses switch to a standard prescription when shooting a 20+ yard string or do you just deal with points down?

For all distances, wear glasses that allow you to see your front sight in razor sharp focus. It doesn't matter how fuzzy the target is, you will still naturally point the aligned sights in the middle of it.

be

I think BE's is the best solution. If you are not shooting, then distance sunglasses are fine. The front sight is crucial. For 3 gun, I use monovision contacts that give focus from end of gun to 25 yds. The right eye is in the scope and not a problem... I find it extremely important to practice with the exact setup for matches. There is 0 accomodation after age 40, so focus actually switches from one eye to the other-becomes second nature after a while. Keeping both eyes open.

All of this eye talk has made me realize just how crappy my vision has gotten. So I went and had an eye exam today and the doctor was very willing to talk about my needs for my USPSA shooting sport. He wanted me to ask you guys what types of lenses are you using? Bifocals, progressive? Etc.

I mentioned to him that some of the shooters on this forum thread were only correcting the right eye and not the left, but he seems to think he can marry the two lenses together to make it perfect for me.

I am assuming that standard safety type lenses will qualify as far as protection is concerned? The strength of the glass to deflect flying objects is what I mean.

This thread has been a great help and I look forward to hearing from you guys!

Kent

I'm 47, and my sight has gone silly bad in the last two years. Where I used to be able to wear my 'distance' prescription for everything, I now have to wear distance lenses for driving, reading lenses for reading and computer lenses for...wait for it....using the computer. :)

I've found the computer glasses work very well for the front sight (no surprise, as they're a 24-26" focal length) but won't let me FIND targets. Or walk around without bumping stuff. And monovision lenses seem like an expensive experiment. But I have a sneaky idea:

I've been buying glasses online for about six months now (I use eyebuydirect, but there are lots of places that can sell prescription lenses online) and can get a shatterproof, scratch resistant pair for about $11, with shipping. At that price, I can afford to experiment. My current plan-and I'd like to hear opinions on it-is to order three identical frames with near, intermediate and far prescriptions, then swap various lenses until I find a combo that can work for the front sight and seeing enough of the target to tell a no-shoot from a shoot, at least. I'm suspecting intermediate-shooting eye and distance-weak side eye might do the trick.

If it fails, I'll have three add'l pairs of glasses, and be out ~$35. If it works, I'm the frugal genius my grandmother always encouraged me to be....:)

Any suggestions or ideas?

Larry

Larry, thanks for posting this as it has now peaked my interest enough to go get my eye exam. I am guessing you have had good success with these online eye companies? I tried to find the shatter proof glasses on the website above and I couldn't find it. I also made a post today to this thread and in it my doctor thinks he can prescribe glasses for both eys that will work for our sport. I think I am going to give it a try and I will let you know what I find out!

Cheers, Kent

All of this eye talk has made me realize just how crappy my vision has gotten. So I went and had an eye exam today and the doctor was very willing to talk about my needs for my USPSA shooting sport. He wanted me to ask you guys what types of lenses are you using? Bifocals, progressive? Etc.

I mentioned to him that some of the shooters on this forum thread were only correcting the right eye and not the left, but he seems to think he can marry the two lenses together to make it perfect for me.

I am assuming that standard safety type lenses will qualify as far as protection is concerned? The strength of the glass to deflect flying objects is what I mean.

Kent

I wear progressive lenses in my daily wear glasses. I use Rudy Project glasses for shooting with the prescription inserts. I tried progressives in the inserts but the lens was too small. They didn't work at all. I had another set made with regular bifocals and they work great.

I would not recommend standard safety lenses for what we do. The do not provide the impact resistance that lenses designed for shooting do and they do not provide side coverage. Flying shrapnel and brass don't care if you head is turned the wrong way...

Kent,

I would not use bifocals or progressives you do not want to be cranking your head around trying to get your front sight into focus. Get your dominate eye corrected for a sharp front sight and the weak eye corrected to infinity. There are several brands of shooting glasses that are appropriate for this application. I'm partial to Rudy Project and you can get them with a 40% discount.

Kent

I wear progressive lenses in my daily wear glasses. I use Rudy Project glasses for shooting with the prescription inserts. I tried progressives in the inserts but the lens was too small. They didn't work at all. I had another set made with regular bifocals and they work great.

I would not recommend standard safety lenses for what we do. The do not provide the impact resistance that lenses designed for shooting do and they do not provide side coverage. Flying shrapnel and brass don't care if you head is turned the wrong way...

Thank you Singlestack! I will look into Rudy Project Glasses. Much appreciated on all aspects of your answer! Kent

Kent,

I would not use bifocals or progressives you do not want to be cranking your head around trying to get your front sight into focus. Get your dominate eye corrected for a sharp front sight and the weak eye corrected to infinity. There are several brands of shooting glasses that are appropriate for this application. I'm partial to Rudy Project and you can get them with a 40% discount.

Greg, again thank you! I will look into the Rudy Project site and see what they have. My doctor doesn't seem to want to go that direction, or maybe I didn't explain to him as clearly as you just stated. I am going to take your words and let him read it for himself. Do I just get the prescription from him for "Get your dominate eye corrected for a sharp front sight and the weak eye corrected to infinity"? Then send it to Rudy Project? Thanks Greg!

Thats what I did except you do not have to have him send them anywhere. The inserts sit behind the protective lenses so anybody can make them. As far as the bifocals go, if you get regular bifocals the line is low enough that the only time I see it is when I need to read something. Like a sign in sheet or a score sheet.

Thats what I did except you do not have to have him send them anywhere. The inserts sit behind the protective lenses so anybody can make them. As far as the bifocals go, if you get regular bifocals the line is low enough that the only time I see it is when I need to read something. Like a sign in sheet or a score sheet.

Thank you again Singlestack! So is the key phrase to him going to be "I need inserts?" I appreciate your time and sorry for my confusion! Kent

Well, I got back from the eye doctor just a little while ago. And, as usual my experiences rarely turn out like others say their's do.

This doctor was recommended to me by other shooters in the area as , "understanding the concepts of shooter's needs".

When I told him what many of you are doing and what I wanted,(dominant eye focused on sights and non dominant eye to infinity) he told me that was ludicrous! So here I am two minutes into my only free exam for the next two years and this guy tells me there is no way he will even run the tests the way I want them. He did everything but laugh in my face when I continued to try to explain how many shooters have had success with it.

He let me hold my slide up and he did let me get focused pretty well on the front sight but he would not give clear vision to infinity so if I go with this prescription I will basically have slightly blurred vision at all other distances. He told me the brain can not process the two different lenses which is the exact opposite of what some of you are saying your doctor told you.

I know sharp focus on the sights is important but I can't imagine not being able to see 20/20 while doing everything else. I won't give up clear vision and I certainly don't want to fork over $200 for something I don't want.

So, yeah, I'm a little pissed. I waited two weeks for this appointment, I had my notes all together, and I thought sure I would leave the office with my magic bullet for aging eyes with iron sights.

Well, I got back from the eye doctor just a little while ago. And, as usual my experiences rarely turn out like others say their's do.

This doctor was recommended to me by other shooters in the area as , "understanding the concepts of shooter's needs".

When I told him what many of you are doing and what I wanted,(dominant eye focused on sights and non dominant eye to infinity) he told me that was ludicrous! So here I am two minutes into my only free exam for the next two years and this guy tells me there is no way he will even run the tests the way I want them. He did everything but laugh in my face when I continued to try to explain how many shooters have had success with it.

He let me hold my slide up and he did let me get focused pretty well on the front sight but he would not give clear vision to infinity so if I go with this prescription I will basically have slightly blurred vision at all other distances. He told me the brain can not process the two different lenses which is the exact opposite of what some of you are saying your doctor told you.

I know sharp focus on the sights is important but I can't imagine not being able to see 20/20 while doing everything else. I won't give up clear vision and I certainly don't want to fork over $200 for something I don't want.

So, yeah, I'm a little pissed. I waited two weeks for this appointment, I had my notes all together, and I thought sure I would leave the office with my magic bullet for aging eyes with iron sights.

Sarge,

I feel your pain! This whole thing is confusing! Some of the guys on this forum, have shed some good light on the subject behind the scenes with PM's. There has to be an economical way to do this and have the doctor comply...... :blush:

Sarge,

I feel your pain! This whole thing is confusing! Some of the guys on this forum, have shed some good light on the subject behind the scenes with PM's. There has to be an economical way to do this and have the doctor comply...... :blush:

I had occasion to see my doctor today and I told him of your experience and I was quite pleased to hear him say he would give me what I want..... When and if I can afford it...:) Good luck Sarge! Kent

There has to be an economical way to do this and have the doctor comply...... :blush:

Yes there is. Tell him:

- "Give me a copy of my medical record."

- "Do you have recommendations for competent eye doctors?" (optional)

- "Goodbye."

Like it or not, medicine is a customer service business. Those that don't provide good customer service (ie eye exams that don't address your needs) are seldom given the opportunity to screw it up again.

• 7 years later...
On 9/9/2010 at 5:37 AM, benos said:

For all distances, wear glasses that allow you to see your front sight in razor sharp focus. It doesn't matter how fuzzy the target is, you will still naturally point the aligned sights in the middle of it.

be

On 9/10/2010 at 5:51 AM, benos said:

To add a little to my last post, for my last year of competitive shooting, I had glasses as others have described, with the focal length for my shooting eye set to the distance of my front sight. And since my non-aiming was still 20-20, it had no correction. Worked perfectly.

be

Reviving this as I didn't seem to find any mention regarding running around on stages.  With 'no prescription for non-dominant eye', and 'prescription lens, +1.25 for dominant eye', won't you get dizzy running around the stage, from one position to another, where you change focus to distance?  I'm asking because just recently, my reading glasses increased, now to +1.50 so I had a new lens made (front sights) for +1.25, and when I initially tried them, though they were good for the front sights, I felt dizzy when looking at the periphery to move to another position  Previously, with only +0.50 for front sights, it wasn't drastic so I didn't have issues. (For distant view, I don't need corrective lens).

And with this, were you still using the patch over your left-dominant eye?

Edited by sherpa25

Reviving this as I didn't seem to find any mention regarding running around on stages.  With 'no prescription for non-dominant eye', and 'prescription lens, +1.25 for dominant eye', won't you get dizzy running around the stage, from one position to another, where you change focus to distance?  I'm asking because just recently, my reading glasses increased, now to +1.50 so I had a new lens made (front sights) for +1.25, and when I initially tried them, though they were good for the front sights, I felt dizzy when looking at the periphery to move to another position  Previously, with only +0.50 for front sights, it wasn't drastic so I didn't have issues. (For distant view, I don't need corrective lens).

You revived a 7 year old thread? Why?

12 minutes ago, PatJones said:
8 hours ago, sherpa25 said:

Because he used the search function and has a question about it.

I've replied to this question a number of times thru the years,  here's what works for me and a number of other people, but not everyone.

My shooting glasses (for open sights) has my right eye with a sharp focus on the rear of the front sight and my left eye with my normal correction for distance.  This has worked well for me since the early 80s.  Some people can't stand this setup and just need to do some other remedy.  I can wear this pair all day and it doesn't bother me at all.  I could probably use this pair for everyday wear without any problems.

3 hours ago, Steve RA said:

I've replied to this question a number of times thru the years,  here's what works for me and a number of other people, but not everyone.

My shooting glasses (for open sights) has my right eye with a sharp focus on the rear of the front sight and my left eye with my normal correction for distance.  This has worked well for me since the early 80s.  Some people can't stand this setup and just need to do some other remedy.  I can wear this pair all day and it doesn't bother me at all.  I could probably use this pair for everyday wear without any problems.

I see, what grade lenses do you use on both?   

So the different points of focus in both lenses doesn't make you dizzy when moving around?  I'm just concerned I might feel dizzy when you switch focus from front sights (right eye) to distance (left eye) when you start running to another position in a stage.  Or will the mind adapt to the left/distant eye? 

3 hours ago, PatJones said:

Yes, as @GrumpyOne mentioned, this is one result from a search.  OTOH, anything wrong about it?

Edited by sherpa25

For a number of people there is no problem with near focus in one eye and distant in another.  It - according to the eye doctor who first told me about it - needs to be tried to see if it will work for you.  Some people it does make dizzy or produce headaches.

Can't tell you what grade of lenses as I don't have a prescription where I can access it right now.

You need to discuss it with your supplier,  some - as described by Sarge above - will probably not be familiar with the concept but most I have ever had any dealings with are/have been willing to work with me on the problem.

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:18 AM, sherpa25 said:

Your main problem is you have good eyes and are just not used to wearing correction for any length of time (especially when doing anything but reading).  Almost everyone can get used to this if they try.  If you want to avoid the movement you see when you are not looking through the center of the lens, get fit for contact lenses because they don't cause the movement you describe.  Its not to say contacts are a perfect solution for everyone, but they don't cause the movement when looking looking to the sides/up/down that glasses do.

FYI:  There is no such thing as "shatter proof".  I would be cautious buying lenses from any company that claims their lenses are "shatter proof" because it is just plain wrong.  Shatter resistant does exist.

Edited by B585

7 hours ago, B585 said:

Your main problem is you have good eyes and are just not used to wearing correction for any length of time (especially when doing anything but reading).  Almost everyone can get used to this if they try.  If you want to avoid the movement you see when you are not looking through the center of the lens, get fit for contact lenses because they don't cause the movement you describe.  Its not to say contacts are a perfect solution for everyone, but they don't cause the movement when looking looking to the sides/up/down that glasses do.

FYI:  There is no such thing as "shatter proof".  I would be cautious buying lenses from any company that claims their lenses are "shatter proof" because it is just plain wrong.  Shatter resistant does exist.

Not sure how different it would have with my setup (+1.25 for right-eye, no correction for left-eye).  With or w/o contacts, one eye would still have different grade from the other.  No problem when viewing through the sights alone with the right eye, but I'm concerned when changing focus for the wider view to see the surroundings when starting to run (both eyes open).