Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

unbuntu

Front Man

I picked up a netbook a few weeks ago as I needed it for a trip. I thought I would try Ubuntu on it, and burned a boot thumb drive. Install was very easy. It is a little quirky, or different, takes some getting used to. For some reason, Firefox just wont launch. Have not had the time to play with it more. I was curious to see if it would be any faster than the Win7 Starter that came on it. I just need it for basic web browsing, etc.

How's Chrome working out?

I'm only a day or two into it. So far so good. It syn'd up with my account and pulled in my Fav's from my work computer. And, I activated the Chrome to Phone gadget and was able to send a long/funky email address to my phone (saving me from typing it into my phone by by hand).

One thing with Chrome on Unbuntu... embedded videos (like we often see on this forum) play in a jumpy manner. They work fine if you go to the youtube page though.

What about firefox?

The embedded videos from youtube run fine in firefox.

I haven't understood one thing on this post. :blush: Do any of these things come in 45acp and does Dillon make dies for it? :devil:

Back to reloading section where I belong.

Edited by Youngeyes

• 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I started running Linux Mint 11 about a year ago and never looked back. Tried out lots of different Linux versions via. Live CD/DVD and settled on Mint.

I run FireFox and Thunderbird in the same configuration as I did in Windows. Other applications I use are VLC media player for videos and music,Open Office Suite cross compatable with all MS Office files,K3B CD/DVD Disk Writer software,Adobe Reader for PDF files,Shutter for making and editing screenshots,gThumb and Gimp for photo browsing and editing and a whole lot more programs than I can mention. I haven't missed Windows at all.

I have been using Linux in some form or flavor for 13 years now. Ubuntu is a good build to use but I suggest using one of their LTR (Long term release) versions. Yes, there is not a lot of professional support out there but I have had several cases where questions I asked in various forums ended in the coder of the application, driver or kernel module getting in touch with me personally to help fix the problem. It is always good to learn a new skill set and these days support for things in Linux is much, much better than ever before.

• 3 weeks later...

I use it on an older PC and it runs great. It's got Office look-alike products, email, browser. I even setup an XP virtual machine w/ Microsoft office for the kids to use for school if necessary. It has no problem getting pictues off my camera either.

On my office laptop running Win7 I have a virtual machine running Ubuntu too. This is where I am working on developing an app for Android phones.

Edited by zxd9