Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why is the XD/XDM unpopular?

Avezorak

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Brian could talk to TGO and tell him to tell Springfield to trim some fat off the slide in the XD series....

Now THIS I like!!!!

Didnt notice the slide weight difference but I can see that being a factor... Maybe a factory cut like a G34/35 would be a plus...

XD/XDm pistols are just as competitive as any other. I think that the reason why they may not be as popular in matches is due to the "Bandwagon Factor". If you are new and go to a match and see the majority of the shooters using a Glock, then you will probably end up buying a Glock. As a new pistol owner its easier to have a large social group to help with getting it and the ammo tuned up properly. If you choose to shoot an unpopular gun it will be up to you to figure out what is needed to make it work the best, which is a longer up hill battle.

If you can effectively manage the muzzle flip/recoil so that the sights track consistently then how much it flips does not matter. So really, the bore axis height does not matter :sight:

Pick a gun that fits you and shoot it. If it fits you and fires every time your booger picker pulls the boom lever back how can it be the "Wrong" gun to use? :ph34r:

Its the Indian that gets the job done, not the Arrow......

I have a XDm and there are afew things I notice. First it is accurate, more accurate than the M&P Pro I have. The other thing is that it is snappier, whether that is bore axis or weight, or balance it is there. I am not sure if it was the loads or the conditions but I put some rounds through the chrono that I knew were around 132 in another gun but they were hotter in the XDm and felt even hotter than they read.

The thing that keeps me from shooting it is that I am a IDPA shooter more than a USPSA shooter. SA did a great job of making the gun feel great in the hand and an excellent job of making it feel close to a 1911. Where that is a problem is that if you have any time behind a 1911 and use a high grip the thumb just instinctively sits right where SA put the slide release. In IDPA you shoot to slide lock so this is an issue.

I will get the calipers out and measure the bore axis on the XDm, 1911, CZ, and M&P to see what they are.

XD/XDm pistols are just as competitive as any other. I think that the reason why they may not be as popular in matches is due to the "Bandwagon Factor". If you are new and go to a match and see the majority of the shooters using a Glock, then you will probably end up buying a Glock. As a new pistol owner its easier to have a large social group to help with getting it and the ammo tuned up properly. If you choose to shoot an unpopular gun it will be up to you to figure out what is needed to make it work the best, which is a longer up hill battle.

If you can effectively manage the muzzle flip/recoil so that the sights track consistently then how much it flips does not matter. So really, the bore axis height does not matter :sight:

Pick a gun that fits you and shoot it. If it fits you and fires every time your booger picker pulls the boom lever back how can it be the "Wrong" gun to use? :ph34r:

LOVE my xd9 tactical!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

I have often wondered why more XD/XDms are not seen in competition. I mostly shoot IDPA and my XD40 does fine in ESP. I haven't shot the XDm but it seems like it would be even better for competition shooting.

I dont think bandwagon effect has anything to do with it, The XD has been around a lot longer than the M&P, The M&P is showing up all over the place.

You probably don't see them since they have only sold over a million of them in 7 years, in another year or two they will be at 2 million. Also since competition shooters are only 1/2 of one percent of all gun owners it will only take time for the XD to be the top gun.

Rich

I dont think bandwagon effect has anything to do with it, The XD has been around a lot longer than the M&P, The M&P is showing up all over the place.

That probably has more to do with Julie pushing Smith&Wesson right into the competitive scene right at the get go when the M&P was first developed. If it wasn't for her, you'd probably see less M&P's.

I got my first XD40 about 8yrs ago, then the 9mm Tactical when it came out, then the 9mm subcompact when that came out.(and yes I do sometimes shoot the Subcompact in USPSA) I love my XDs, I had a glock and traded it off for a revolver. The glock shot fine but I can not get used to the grip angle! It is so different than everything else in my safe. Not sure on the bore axis thing, but I'm guessing the bore axis of my N-frame revolver is a heck of a lot higher than any of the autos mentioned. :surprise:

Oh, well. Get a gun and shoot it. Variety is the spice of life. I have only one wife, but I have lots of guns! :roflol:

Edited by snertley

I think XD's of all kinds are doing just fine in the "walk around" world of everyday concealed carry and shooters in general. The main problem seems to me to be the availability of parts for competition shooters. You can buy drop in trigger kits for Glocks that'll take 'em down to 2-2 1/2lbs and many other aftermarket parts are available at good prices. M&P parts I don't know about. I don't own one so I'm not up to minute on what S&W will or will not sell you at this time. I do know from working on some of their revolvers in the past that they would sell you just about anything you asked for for those. M&P's triggers are quite easy to do, though you need some mechanical aptitude or gunsmithing skills. XD's... not so much. Though trigger parts are now readily available, they require more skill to install and most times do not get you to that same level of pull as the Glock drop in's do, and they lighten up the striker fall somewhat too if you go for the maximum reduction in pull. However, the results are surprisingly good from the various kits I have installed (Both Springer and Powder River). Things like strikers themselves and other internals are much harder to come by for XD's. Things are looking up though, and as more and more people use these guns in competition, other aftermarket parts will become available.

Don't get me wrong... I own 6 XD's of various kinds and carry one daily. They are not touchy about ammo in general and leave the cases in good shape for reloading as well... no dents, dings, extractor gouges, or swelling that might get in the way. They are certainly accurate enough, and they will run! If I was to shoot in some competition tomorrow (what day is this?), I would use my Springer tuned XD Tactical40 for Production (because I like it and can load it to whatever level I want... though I also possess a 4" in 9mm) and would probably use my Springfield Custom Shop tuned XDm40 for Limited (with mag extensions) or Limited 10. I would not feel under-armed in either division with those choices. If you compare the price of an XDm with 10 magazines with that of say... a 2011 with 10 magazines, you will find you can buy a couple more XDm's and have them tuned up for about the same price.

• 3 months later...

I bought my wife an xdm because it fit her hand better than the glock and springfield was running an extra mag special. We had her a limited set up for less than $700. I liked the xdm so much, I sold one of my glocks to get one for myself.

Two words:

Bore axis.

ETA:

Apparently my answer was the same the last time this thread came up.

I've considered buying an XD/XDM a number of times. I'm glad that I picked the M&P though. The XD is still an awesome gun, though, just the M&P is all that the XD is, and then some.

I'd take either over a Glock, despite the bore axis.

Edited by twodownzero

Well I've got a Glock 34 & 35, and a XDsc-40. My opinion is they all point well, but the the XD has a better "feel" to it and fits my hand better. That being said, I doubt I'll be giving up my 34 anytime soon for an XD to shoot production but you never know. I am considering picking up a XD45 though to have a double stack 45 for carry purposes.

To me the difference is personal to the shooter [you] and not so much something you can read on a forum & get the Answer.

If a higher bore actually slows you down [shooting live ammo] then you might like a Glock better.

If the Glock trigger continues to bother you compared to a 1911/2011, you might like the best XD trigger jobs a lot better than the best Glocks.

Good test, maybe you & a buddy and an RO can do it after a match, is put a 2 targets at 15 yards [10 if you're a real novice] and rip off 4-shot strings as fast as you think you can control them into Target 1, with Glock. Check timer, note your splits. Switch guns and repeat into Target 2, with XD. Note splits. Show clear then go up & score your targets. That should help make up your mind. Do drills & figure hit factors if you like.

Personal opinion, a top XD trigger job is nicer/faster for me than any Glock, and I have a very good Glock trigger.

• 3 weeks later...

I also fall in the like camp for the 9mm XDm. I have been looking at another and considering the tactical because of the 5" barrel. I am I correct in noting the difference between the XDm and the tactical is the barrel length? (Sorry for the drift.)

Hello: The Tactical has a 5" barrel and the XDM is 4" and a bit. The tactical has a heavier slide than the XDM. Are they planning on making a XDM tactical soon? I would like to see a lighter slide on the 5" something like a Glock 34 :cheers: I am thinking of getting a 9mm Tactical since I like the longer slide and my son uses my Glock 34 now. I like the trigger better than the S&W M&P. You can make a very good XD trigger with just drop in parts now. Thanks, Eric

I have an XDM and love it, BUT i am going to buy a Gen 4 Glock 34... why?? because when i looked at modding my XDM (trigger job, etc..) if you start comparing prices to what it costs with Glocks it is tough to move forward, i mean it costs 2 to 3 times more to mod a XDM then it does a glock... if the cost was the same i would stay with the XDM..

I didn't know it was unpopular, but it obviously is not as popular as the Glock.

I own two XD(m) pistols. One in 9MM and the other in .45 ACP.

After having the triggers done by KS Custom Guns in Glenadale, AZ, I feel that the triggers are better than any Glock pistol I have personally shot. That doesn't mean there aren't better Glock triggers out there. It just means that in MY experience, the XD(m) triggers are better than Glock triggers after the XD(m)triggers were done by KS Custom and after the Glock triggers were done by Glockmeister.

Also, based just on my pistols, the 9MM is equally as accurate and relaible as my G19 and my G17. And the .45 ACP has proven to be as reliable as any of my 1911's. Perhaps not as accurate, but I have about 1/3 as much money invested in the XD(m) as I have the 1911's. And the 1911's are not three times more accurate than the XD(m)!

One final thought: I personally like the way the XD(m) pistols fit my hand much better than Glock pistols in the same caliber.

My Canyon Creek Custom 9mm XDM has the best trigger of anything I've ever shot other than a 1911. And it's not far behind that. I've had other people shoot it and there amazed by the trigger. As far as the bore axis, I didn't feel any difference between the XDM and my M&P. At least not at minimum power factor. I agree that's it the indian and not the arrow. I'm actually going to try a FNH FNX in IDPA. Talk about no aftermarket support, you can't get anything for an FNH. But it's a nice shooting gun even stock.

• 6 months later...

Maybe Brian could talk to TGO and tell him to tell Springfield to trim some fat off the slide in the XD series....

Now THIS I like!!!!

Didnt notice the slide weight difference but I can see that being a factor... Maybe a factory cut like a G34/35 would be a plus...

The Prophet's :bow:;)

Edited by Paul Burtchell

Now THIS I like!!!!

The Prophet's :bow:;)

:roflol: :roflol: