Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig X-5 Allround

Jaxshooter

Can the recoil spring system on the X-5 Allround be changed to a conventional guide rod and recoil spring? I am trying to get the gun setup for my load. Will appreciate any help.

Edited by Jaxshooter

Yes, Bruce Gray makes a guide rod that replaces the ALLRound’s system. However you can use Wolff springs on the current system. I use a Wolff 14lb in mine with the last coil and a half removed. Removing the coil was necessary to make the spring the proper length to prevent coil bind issues.

• 2 months later...

I called Bruce Gray, and he does not make a recoil spring guide rod for the X-5.

BTW, what's the problem with the X-5 and it's extractor problems? Will Sig fix my X-5's extraction problems? Which just started yesterday.

Yes, Bruce Gray makes a guide rod that replaces the ALLRound’s system. However you can use Wolff springs on the current system. I use a Wolff 14lb in mine with the last coil and a half removed. Removing the coil was necessary to make the spring the proper length to prevent coil bind issues.

• 3 weeks later...

I called Bruce Gray, and he does not make a recoil spring guide rod for the X-5.

BTW, what's the problem with the X-5 and it's extractor problems? Will Sig fix my X-5's extraction problems? Which just started yesterday.

Hiya! Actually I've made a number of these solid guide rod units to replace that funny buffer system in X5's on a per-demand basis, but I have kind of come around to the notion that the X5 isn't sufficiently reliable to warrant the expense. I'll explain: The inevitable extraction issues are aggravated by reducing the recoil spring and it's closing pressure in full battery, which increases the initial unlocking speed. Thanks for the opportunity to explain my position. -Bruce

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, Bruce Gray makes a guide rod that replaces the ALLRounds system. However you can use Wolff springs on the current system. I use a Wolff 14lb in mine with the last coil and a half removed. Removing the coil was necessary to make the spring the proper length to prevent coil bind issues.

Hiya! Actually I've made a number of these solid guide rod units to replace that funny buffer system in X5's on a per-demand basis, but I have kind of come around to the notion that the X5 isn't sufficiently reliable to warrant the expense. I'll explain: The inevitable extraction issues are aggravated by reducing the recoil spring and it's closing pressure in full battery, which increases the initial unlocking speed. Thanks for the opportunity to explain my position. -Bruce

I'm looking for some wood to knock on....

I've had no extraction issues on my X-Fives (I have 3 9mm, and 1 40S&W). I'm sure a lot of it's luck, but I also run a pretty decent load of 7.7gr of #7 and a 124gr HP in 9mm, and 8gr of HS6 behind a 155gr HP in 40S&W. I did not have good luck with VV320 loads or anything "light" on the PF that work wonderfully with my "gaming" guns. The X-Fives seems to have slow cycling so maybe there is something to that...

I also do not like to modify springs in any of my SIGs but if anyone can it would be the GrayGun fellers.

Edited by huskerlrrp

• 2 weeks later...

I messed with different springs after my AA started having ejection hiccups pretty soon after

I got it. Different springs didn't fix it.

Called SIG and they said run a lot of hot ammo, preferably with 124 gr or heavier bullets, until

the gun is broken in well.

As soon as I switched to hotter ammo, the problems disappeared. By 1000 rounds, the gun ran fine

on everything I fed it, even light PF 115 gr loads.

Haven't had a gag since and that was several thousand rounds ago.

Craig

• 1 month later...