Transition Drill Part 1

benos

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have worked on this drill for a couple of weeks now. I can tell that it is really helping my transitions. So far, the time I've been able to improve the most is from shooting the far right target back to the first target. Reading the part in Brian's book about how to stop the gun after a transition is helping too.

Some times this really feels like a golf swing, quite a few different things to work on, and then trying to pull them all together.

I'm going to keep working on this for a while and then PM for part two.

I have worked on this drill for a couple of weeks now. I can tell that it is really helping my transitions. So far, the time I've been able to improve the most is from shooting the far right target back to the first target. Reading the part in Brian's book about how to stop the gun after a transition is helping too.

Some times this really feels like a golf swing, quite a few different things to work on, and then trying to pull them all together.

I'm going to keep working on this for a while and then PM for part two.

Excellent - that's the way to go.

Sometimes it's best to not know where you are going until you know precisely where you are at.

be

Please don't think fast or slow. Think SEE MORE. Have to visual patience (which doesn't mean slow, it means to be in a mindset to SEE) to allow yourself to see what you need to see. SEE MORE.

I believe the very point of the dry fire practice, and drills...with iron sights...it to train your eyes.

I snap my visions to locate the target spot, then bring my vision back to the front sight as the gun drives to the target spot. I want to see the front sight in a razor sharp focus. I can do this faster than I can move the gun.

Another eye snap, target spot thread.

"I want to see the front sight in a razor sharp focus. I can do this faster than I can move the gun." I have been working on this for over a month now and I am getting better every week because of it.... The second part of the quote is a ways away before I can make that statement ("I can do this faster than I can move the gun"). My question and thoughts follow: Is there ever a time where you just cover brown and go? We had a 32 round/16 target stage this last weekend in tight quarters where we moved down a hallway of about 45 feet shooting targets left and right that were very close, only five of the targets were more than 10 feet away (20'-30'). I was first up to shoot the stage and I went into it with the mindset of "see more/razor sharp focus". I like it when I do this as time/speed focus never comes into question..... But! I moved through the stage at what in hindsight seemed like a good pace. Without seeing the stage, you can't really know what I am talking about, but I had 32 A's in 32 seconds moving 45 feet with 3 reloads and I got killed on the stage by the guys that ran through it getting A's and C's and even a miss or two in 21 seconds..... :surprise:

Now I am not discouraged, because I am building for the future, but I do believe that I could have cut at least 6-8 seconds off had I taken the same strategy and moved quickly through just covering brown as I ran by.

Any thoughts appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

Time non -A's total time

5.73 1 6.23

5.05 3 6.55

4.91 2 5.91

5.07 2 6.07

5.48 1 5.98

5.25 2 6.25

Average time 6.165

Craig Habel

Its been awhile since I first started practicing this drill. I have improve!

4.16. 1. 5.16

4.01. 2. 5.01

3.61. 2. 4.61

3.65. 2. 4.65

3.42. 1. 3.92

3.30. 2. 4.30

3.44. 2. 4.44

3.54. 2. 4.54

Average time 4.58

My time has improved by almost 2 seconds

Sweet!

Time non -A's total time

5.73 1 6.23

5.05 3 6.55

4.91 2 5.91

5.07 2 6.07

5.48 1 5.98

5.25 2 6.25

Average time 6.165

Craig Habel

Its been awhile since I first started practicing this drill. I have improve!

4.16. 1. 5.16

4.01. 2. 5.01

3.61. 2. 4.61

3.65. 2. 4.65

3.42. 1. 3.92

3.30. 2. 4.30

3.44. 2. 4.44

3.54. 2. 4.54

Average time 4.58

My time has improved by almost 2 seconds

Sweet!

In another 10 months I'm going to be really fast.

I tried this today and here are my scores:

8.48 + 1.5 = 9.98

8.79 + 0.5 = 9.29

7.31 + 2.0 = 9.31

7.53 + 1.0 = 8.53

7.07 + 1.5 = 8.57

8.68 + 0.0 = 8.68

6.63 + 0.5 = 7.13

7.49 + 1.0 = 8.49

My average is 8.75. Middle of the pack C class Production shooter. PM sent.

Interestingly enough, the vast majority of my non-A hits were on the transition from T3 back to T1. I would pass the A-zone and shoot an inch or two left of it. Guess I know what I need to work on while waiting for part 2... putting on the brakes!

Interestingly enough, the vast majority of my non-A hits were on the transition from T3 back to T1. I would pass the A-zone and shoot an inch or two left of it. Guess I know what I need to work on while waiting for part 2... putting on the brakes!

Part 2 should definitely help with that.

And yes, put on the visual brakes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone who wants Part 2, please PM me and I'll send it.

be

Please don't post in the thread to PM you part 2 - send me a PM me for it.

(That way I don't have to try to figure out who I sent it to be reading the thread and comparing the posted requests to the members that PM'd me.)

be

• 3 months later...

Help

I'm in a totally quandry over my practice session yesterday. I'm trying to decide whether I should shoot my 9mm Single Stack or my 45 for Western States SS.

I've been doing the drill off and on now for about six months with different guns that I shoot. To get to the point, yesterday I decided to compare my performance with one gun vs the next. Shot the 45 first and my times were in the 6.3 to 7.25 range with non A (mostly C) hits average 2 per run. Best run was 6.3, 2 non A for a total 7.30

Then I got the 9mm out. Ok, less recoil should produce better transition times and accuracy, right? I had 2 runs of 10 under 7.0 with average non A's of 3.

So, I suppose I was more focused on the first 10 runs with the 45 and then tried too hard to go fast with the 9mm?

By the way, I'm a C class (47%) Super Senior in good physical condition. 2 year USPSA shooter.

Edited by t0066jh