Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Transition Drill Part 1

benos

Now this is getting really interesting. Without divulging Part 2 I've found significant difference in my results, 2.4 seconds to be exact.

Here's the deal. I shoot USPSA and Steel....still a C in both areas. I got a new prescription for shooting. Dominant eye focused on the front sight, non dominant on infinity. Works great for USPSA, but doesn't work for Steel because I can't see my hits. I suppose I need to learn how to call my shots on steel? I don't worry about seeing the hits on paper because I'm 95% sure I've made a hit, either an Alpha or Charlie

Anyway, after a poor performance with the new glasses on Steel, I did the Transition drill part 2 with my normal prescription glasses and the results were 2.4 seconds worse from the previous Transition 2 with my new glasses.

So, my question is. Should use my standard pair of glasses for Steel and the new prescription on USPSA or do more training with the new glasses on Steel?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by t0066jh

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now this is getting really interesting. Without divulging Part 2 I've found significant difference in my results, 2.4 seconds to be exact.

Here's the deal. I shoot USPSA and Steel....still a C in both areas. I got a new prescription for shooting. Dominant eye focused on the front sight, non dominant on infinity. Works great for USPSA, but doesn't work for Steel because I can't see my hits. I suppose I need to learn how to call my shots on steel?

Absolutely! The goal is, on steel and paper, you should never need to see or hear a hit to know you hit the target. That's all there is to it.

be

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I love this drill so here is a post to bring it back to the top.

Now that I have enough daylight to get out and practice after work I spent 2 hours pissing off my neighbor that likes to call the cops every time I shoot. I know all the guys that come out and we talk guns for 15 minutes, they leave, I go back to shooting. I wonder if she will ever figure out that they are not going to stop me from shooting?

OOPS back on subject.

I shoot this drill more times at 15 yards than 10, just because I shoot most of my drills at 15 yards. I picked that habit up from another one of Brian's posts. This drill helps on draw, site acquisition, calling shots, and target transition, more than any other drill I use. I start the shooting session dry fire, move to a few rounds very slow to make sure I am hitting all A's, then just ramp the speed up until I start missing A's, back off again, repeat. I try and push myself out of my comfort zone speed wise as I ramp up the speed. The last time I do the drill for the day, I make sure it's all A's again.

I see the speed guys like Brian are shooting this drill at and I have a long way to go but every match I shoot I feel the difference this drill makes.

I love this drill so here is a post to bring it back to the top.

Now that I have enough daylight to get out and practice after work I spent 2 hours pissing off my neighbor that likes to call the cops every time I shoot. I know all the guys that come out and we talk guns for 15 minutes, they leave, I go back to shooting. I wonder if she will ever figure out that they are not going to stop me from shooting?

OOPS back on subject.

I shoot this drill more times at 15 yards than 10, just because I shoot most of my drills at 15 yards. I picked that habit up from another one of Brian's posts. This drill helps on draw, site acquisition, calling shots, and target transition, more than any other drill I use. I start the shooting session dry fire, move to a few rounds very slow to make sure I am hitting all A's, then just ramp the speed up until I start missing A's, back off again, repeat. I try and push myself out of my comfort zone speed wise as I ramp up the speed. The last time I do the drill for the day, I make sure it's all A's again.

I see the speed guys like Brian are shooting this drill at and I have a long way to go but every match I shoot I feel the difference this drill makes.

Glad to see this drill on top again... :cheers: I have only been able to do this on one practice session so far and like you, I think it is going to be a routine and I like the way you have set up your session! Are you a former MX'r like I was or do you still ride? Kent

have shot similar drills and they are great, I practice this drill in dry fire w/o keeping time about 2 to 3 times a week, now i will have to live fire it and keep my times so i can get part two.

for those of you who have posted your times and for benos: for scoring is it shoot L-R, L-R, L-R count your non A and add all times together or is it shoot L-R + non A's = time and then continue or does it not really matter as long as you keep your times and hits.

Hope this makes sense

Glad to see this drill on top again... :cheers: I have only been able to do this on one practice session so far and like you, I think it is going to be a routine and I like the way you have set up your session! Are you a former MX'r like I was or do you still ride? Kent

I ride Enduro and HS, kind of like to keep the bike close to the ground so when I fall I don't have so far to go.

ss+P Buzzer goes off, you shoot 9 shots Left Center Right, Left Center Right, Left Center Right. Take the total time and add 1/2 second for each non A and that is your time.

I do shoot it "Right Center Left" about as often as I shoot it Left Center Right.

ktm 300, ok so it is one draw and 9 shots record time. I was misreading that i thought it was draw shoot 3 then holster and repeat. very good thank you for your response

I only had time to do this drill once, but between the original and part 2 "secret sauce" I cut just over 1 second from my time.

I shot a USPSA match this weekend trying the technique and interestingly thought I was going really slow. Genuinely I was upset at myself. When I watched some of the match stages on video it seemed as though my splits were quite a bit faster than prior matches and I was as or maybe slightly more accurate than usual.

I guess the next step is to practice this enough so that it's not a new technique, but instead, just the way I shoot.

Thanks BE

I ride Enduro and HS, kind of like to keep the bike close to the ground so when I fall I don't have so far to go.

ss+P Buzzer goes off, you shoot 9 shots Left Center Right, Left Center Right, Left Center Right. Take the total time and add 1/2 second for each non A and that is your time.

I do shoot it "Right Center Left" about as often as I shoot it Left Center Right.

ktm300 I rode until the early 80's and was leaving the sport as they were starting to fly higher and higher.... :surprise:

Like you I was more comfortable closer to the ground... :blink: Hoping to get out to practice today and I look forward to continuing the transition drill. I will run it right to left a few times as well! Have a great day!

Just shot the drill for the first time and think i did pretty well. pm is on its when when i can figure out how to.

time penalties time

4.45 3 5.95

4.15 2 5.15

3.65 2 4.65

I have shot this drill both #1 and #2 several times, funny thing the match I shoot this past weekend classifier stage was 09-11 razors edge 6 targets with no

shoots, 1 shoot each. I shoot my best classifier score 82%. Having shoot the drill I think helped me alot.

Any thoughts appreciated and Brian, please jump in if you wish.

I have a question on the drill in regards to sight picture. In snapping my eyes from one target to the next (dryfire) (5 yards in semi well lit garage) and pressing the trigger, I am never really getting a good view of the sights (I am matching the 5 sec par time on timer). In live fire, it is the same thing and yet I am getting all A's in just a little under 7 (10 yard line outside) seconds from the draw with the same view of the sights, so I can only assume that it is because I am indexed well as I get to the center of the A zone and pull the trigger. I feel as if I might need to slow down and get these old eyes to see a good picture as I hate pulling the trigger without seeing a good picture. Yet it seems as if that would take me forever. Any thoughts appreciated as I am also trying to teach my son Alec (14) good fundamentals from the get go. Cheers and thanks! Kent

Please don't think fast or slow. Think SEE MORE. Have to visual patience (which doesn't mean slow, it means to be in a mindset to SEE) to allow yourself to see what you need to see. SEE MORE.

I believe the very point of the dry fire practice, and drills...with iron sights...it to train your eyes.

I snap my visions to locate the target spot, then bring my vision back to the front sight as the gun drives to the target spot. I want to see the front sight in a razor sharp focus. I can do this faster than I can move the gun.

Another eye snap, target spot thread.

I snap my visions to locate the target spot, then bring my vision back to the front sight as the gun drives to the target spot. I want to see the front sight in a razor sharp focus. I can do this faster than I can move the gun.

That is it - do that.

be

Please don't think fast or slow. Think SEE MORE. Have to visual patience (which doesn't mean slow, it means to be in a mindset to SEE) to allow yourself to see what you need to see. SEE MORE.

I believe the very point of the dry fire practice, and drills...with iron sights...it to train your eyes.

Flex, Thank you and you made it so clear that I think, even I can follow the process! I will see more and let time take care of itself as I would rather build a firm foundation from the beginning... I will start working on it tomorrow and get to work on getting Alec on board.... :cheers: Thank you for chiming in Brian!

I read through this post and tried this drill in practice and it does give you a good sense of where you are and what you can do. I then backed up another 10 yards and did it again. I had to slow down just a little to get my hits.

Flex, (for clarification) do you actually draw back a little as you transition to the next target and THEN push back/Drive gun to target as you see the front sight? Or are just swinging to the next target driving the gun as it swings?

Thank you for the new links on the "Target Spot"! I will get to the others tonight. Kent

Having played golf at a fairly high level, golfers for the most part understand you have one swing thought for the day and if you are smart ONE only. I am heading out to the match in a few and I am taking my ONE match thought with me

"SEE MORE" Having the patience to SEE MORE... Thanks again Flex!