Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

El Presidente Hit Pattern

Sarge

I don't practice much but I got out tonight and set up a few classifiers and shot them several times. On El Presidente I shot from left to right and then right to left after the reload. I noticed an odd pattern to my hits. The first target(far left) had a more spread out hit pattern than the center target with loose A's and some C's. The center target seemed just a little tighter. What really got my attention was the third target(far right). The hits were nearly all solid, tight, A's.

I ran the thing 20 times and the pasters don't lie. With my limited experience I am thinking the first target sloppiness is probably due to a poor grip on the draw? But what is the most likely explanation for the tight shot group on the third target? Afterall, there is a reload involved there.

On a good note, I'm currently running at 57.65%(HiC as I like to call it)but my average percentage on the Prez tonight was around 70%. So I am getting there. :cheers:

Define Irony. The best score I shot out of the 20 was the very first one! :wackoThanks

Kevin

No. But that's not saying it isn't. :goof: My draw feels like it does on any COF I shoot. I generally don't notice many errant shots right out of the holster during a match. I guess my biggest ??? is why so good on target 3.

try to video the runs to watch yourself. I actually felt something similar to this doing some airsoft El Prez last week. i was trying to pick up the pace on things and felt my first shot go astray (barely clipped the D zone of a 1/3 scale target. 2nd target felt fine and i hammered the 2 shots on the 3rd target. after the reload doesnt seem to change thigns for me. its like i know i have to have a good first shot time to get a good run going, but after the first shot i stop thinking and just shoot (now if i could just turn off my brain ALL the time, id be ok :roflol: )

Kev, I've had the exact same pattern on the target I draw to first. I've been trying to slow down just a hair to get a better sight pic on the 1st target and have my transitions match my splits which has seemed to help me while improving my overall times.

First question would be what is the pattern on the left target? Is it the 1st or 2nd shot that is the problem? Maybe you are whipping the gun around instead of drawing to your normal position on a down range draw. Center target could be not moving the eyes first and the gun is going across the target and you are moving it back for the 1st shot. By the right target you are concentrating on getting ready for the reload because you want to drive the gun back to that target so your eyes are more firmly locked on to it.

I am probably wrong but that is the way I analyzed it after a days worth of practice.

Got all your split times?

Maybe it's as simple as you were aiming more/less on some targets?

More/less visual patience before taking some targets.

More/less follow through.

Could be your stance was such that you favored certain targets over others. (or the inverse...you paid closer attention to the harder ones).

With me, I run into issues with my back. Sometimes I don't turn as well...and don't get squared up to the target as I should.

Keep reading your targets and asking these questions. You will learn about yourself and your shooting as long as you keep seeking... cool.gif

First two shots and last two shots are on the left target, sounds to me like you are rushing those shots. You have settled down on the middle and right targets and are in rhythm. IMHO and worth exactly what you are paying for it.

ill practice a few el pres's when i get a chance to go shoot out in the sticks i got my measuring tape and targets and all that stuff and lately have been getting right in between A and M class hit factors as far as i can tell as long as i have a good spin/draw and reload it goes pretty good. El pres is a good classifier just to practice, along with a few others like Merle's standards, Baseball standards and Times 2.

except forthe fact you said you reversed your direction afterthe reload, it sounds like combination of missed/sloppy grip/bad index point on the far left target, the reason whythe targets in the middle and end are ok is that you 'settled in' on them, even actually stopping in the right spots on them(middle) but since you reversed your engagment afterthe reload it sounds more like an index problem than anything else, your initial set up is not letting you index that left target very well even afterthereload and its last, not first

Keep reading your targets and asking these questions. You will learn about yourself and your shooting as long as you keep seeking...

I was going to say something very similar to that.

be

Keep reading your targets and asking these questions. You will learn about yourself and your shooting as long as you keep seeking...

I was going to say something very similar to that.

be

Hmmm...I wonder who my influences are... cheers.gif

You probably told me the same thing 8yrs ago.

• 3 months later...

I don't know if it applies to you, but at this point in my game, it tends to take me a couple of targets on each course to settle down. I am trying to learn to slow myself down initially to shake off the cobwebs.

David S.

Kevin,

Which way do you turn when the buzzer goes off? Maybe you should try to turn the opposite way a few tries to see if anything changes. If nothing else, you will be concentrating more because you are out off your comfort zone. If you do are the hits better is thetime noticably worse? --JWB

Kevin,

Which way do you turn when the buzzer goes off? Maybe you should try to turn the opposite way a few tries to see if anything changes. If nothing else, you will be concentrating more because you are out off your comfort zone. If you do are the hits better is thetime noticably worse? --JWB

Never even crossed my mind. I'll have to try that John. Thanks.

Personally, I've never understood the logic of shooting "left-to-right, reload, right-to-left" on any stage.

I've been told that it is so you will remain on that target during the reload, but I ain't buying that one. During the time that you're reloading, you can transition your body back to the first target easily.

On an El Pres, I don't see it as a issue, but put in some no shoots or hard cover and it will mess with your pace. (Although I will admit that I am much more of a "rhythm shooter" than I would like to admit....so that type of thing may affect me more than someone who's using sights more than I do.)

Getting back to the OP, I believe that the reason for the tighter T3 group is that on the first pass, the shooter is coming into the target and firing two shots without thinking about the need to leave said target for another one. On the second pass, only the second shot would be rushed by the need to transition over to the T2 quickly. 3 out of the 4 shots would be made with no consideration to transitioning.

I shoot El Pres l-to-r on both passes and my T3 groups are significantly better than the others.

When I was shooting International Rapid Fire, we had a mental trick that we used: The course is "5 targets, one shot each". The guns hold 5 shots. We would pick a spot on the berm or target holders that was spaced at a comparable distance from the other targets. We would come across with the 5 and always dry-fire the 6th on that spot. That kept your transitions the same on all targets and kept you from starting to slow down when entering T5.

• 2 years later...