Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

most acurate 9mm 1911

1911vm

Not sure which is the most accurate, however I would be interested seeing one more accurate than my Wilson CQB. The test target is litterally one very tight ragged hole.

The 9mm is a poor fit for the 1911 platform, but can be made decently accurate and reliable through excellent gunsmithing. The most accurate gun may not be the most reliable.

For a price you can get one from Les Baer guaranteed to shoot 1.5 inch groups at 50 yards. Bullseye accuracy in other words, but one from Wilson Combat that's only guaranteed to shoot 1 inch groups at 25 yards may run more reliably without a breakin period, or it may not. 9mm can be problematic. The Wilson will still be the most expensive. I've seen STI Trojans in 9mm that had to have extensive after-market gunsmithing to run and I've seen them run out of the box (more or less with only a few bobbles). Nighthawk nines have a good reputation too. Don't even think about a Kimber. They don't even use the correct sized breechface.

Edited by Steve J

My Wilson is set up for both 9MM and 38Super. It started out as a 38Super CQB and was won on auction at GunBroker NIB for $1700. I had the pistol shipped directly to Wilson for a 9MM barrel and a gold bead front/plain black rear. I had wanted a 9mm 1911 for a very long time but was leary as I had heard horror stories about them not running reliably. I did my homework by asking members on the different forums that had mentioned owning a Wilson in 9mm and not one of them had a bad thing to say about theirs. I received mine back from Wilson about 10 days ago and have tried at least 8 different loads including my reloads and it has not missed a beat and has been quite accurate. The test target was fired at Wilson using a 124gr XTP over 4.2gr of Titegroup.

For "off the shelf", I'd say the Les Baer Custom with the 1 1/2" 50 yard guarantee. Probably tough to get a 'full custom' to do much better. For what it's worth my STI Spartan 9mm was extremely accurate. More than enough for USPSA and IDPA. Bullseye or just for fun paper punching for tight groups, I'd say you would have more fun with the Les Baer.

YMMV

FWIW I have 3 Les Baers in 9 mm and 3 Wilsons in same. I never plan what gun I am going to shoot when I go to the range but when I reach in the vault I will come out with the Les Baer 90% of the time. I got a Baer wadcutter gun that shoots far better then I ever can and use it to test my ammo out of a Ransom. A Premier II in 9mm would be a fun gun for target and carry. I always pay for the 1.5 inch garuntee but I really don't know if it's neccesary...Hope this helps....

Just realize that the gun is one part of the equation of having a 9mm that will shoot accurately at 50yds. You are limited in factory ammo that will consistently give you that accuracy, and you will have to be disciplined in your handloading if you are going to craft ammo that will shoot that well.

Same headstamp brass, or at the very least, case-pro'ed or roll sized brass is a must. You will need to figure out what OAL works best with your chamber, and you will need to use oversized quality lead bullets, or premium jacketed bullets from Zero, Sierra, or my favorite, Hornady. You can get the other manufacture bullets to shoot the same up to 35yds, but you really find out who makes good bullets when you shoot them at 50yds.

Also realize that federal gold match primers will shrink your groups at 50 yds as well. When I say crafting ammo, I mean "crafting"... ;)

It takes a while, but when you find the combo, it will work well.

Good luck,

DougC

I owned a SA 1911 Target in 9mm which would never do any better than ca 3+ in. at 50 ft. I sold it and purchased a Dan Wessn PM-9 which is equally reliable and provides 1 in. groups at 50 ft. - I believe it would do much better from a Ransom rest.

Edited by TonyT

Don't forget the STI Targetmaster and Rangemaster

The only problem there is division legality. The OP did not mention what he wants to use his 9mm 1911 for, but sense he's asking specifically about a 1911, I would assume for 1911 "single stack" division in USPSA or for ESP division in IDPA. Neither of the two pistols you recommend are legal in those divisions. They're too highly modified. The Targetmaster is made specifically for PPC, but could cross over into USPSA Limited-10 minor as could the Rangemaster.

The only problem there is division legality. The OP did not mention what he wants to use his 9mm 1911 for, but sense he's asking specifically about a 1911, I would assume for 1911 "single stack" division in USPSA or for ESP division in IDPA. Neither of the two pistols you recommend are legal in those divisions. They're too highly modified. The Targetmaster is made specifically for PPC, but could cross over into USPSA Limited-10 minor as could the Rangemaster.

Sory this is for NRA B/cup metallic dev.

Pleased with my 9mm Trojan but took some parts to get it to run.

One of my friends just purchased a Les Baer 9mm, nice shooter.

Another runs Wilson only and has excellent results.

Who's on that day has the most accurate pistol.

Sorry this is for NRA B/cup metallic dev.

Well then the Rangemaster or Targetmaster might be good choices.

A 6" gun is legal and that increases your accuracy.

We have two Springfield "Target" 9mm's. My daughter and I shoot IDPA ESP class. She has 1000 rounds through hers with 124gr lead handloads. She has NEVER EXPERIENCED a malfunction of any kind. It has exhibited PERFECT reliability with both round nose and flat point lead bullets. I have about 1800 rounds through mine with 124gr Montana Gold HP's. I have had about 3-4 slide failures to go to battery that turned out to be ammo related with S&B and Amerc brass. With a machine rest at 25yards, mine shoots 1 3/4" at 1080 FPS all day. Haven't checked my daughter's gun in a machine rest. We have used Wilson ETM and SA's magazines and reliability has been perfect. Both us us agree that these 9mm 1911's are our favorite pistols. Everyone that has shot ours, "Want one!!"

Reliability may have been an issue in the past, however these 9mm's have full ramped barrels and good magazines. Reliability is not an issue with our Springfields, We love em'!!!!

Edited by Waldog

Springfield Loaded 9mm A1 5 inch. about $860.00. Send it in to Springfeild to the custom shop and they will install a match barrel and bushing, tighten the rail to frame and guarantee 3 inches at 50 yards with Federal 124 grain match target loads. The custom shop is going to cost $290 for the barrel, $190.00 to tighten the slide and $30,00 shipping plus your $30.00 shipping and you will be without your pistol for 6 to 8 weeks. So for $540 and $860 so for 1400.00 you should have a half way decent shooting 1911 9mm pistol. 3 inches at 50 yards is not that bad.

here's a good read for you on 9mm 1911 accuracy.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BTT/is_174_29/ai_n8968397/

Cliff note:

I learned a lot doing this story. The STI Trojan was a very pleasant surprise--not because it shot so well--but for the relatively modest price. The Springfield pistols are custom guns and priced accordingly, but are handsome as can be and ran flawlessly from the beginning. I saw a lot of cops shooting the Anderson amino at the big match and now I know why. Good stuff. But perhaps the biggest surprise of all was the accuracy of the Federal Hydra-shok and Winchester Silvertip ammo. Both are justly famous defensive loads. Who knew they could drive tacks too?

9mm 1911 PPC PISTOLS

Load Velocity Avg. (inch)

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 5" PPC

Black Hills 125 gr. FMJ 1,190 2.82

Federal 124 gr. Hydra-shok 1,123 1.53

Federal 124 gr. FMJ Match 1,156 2.09

Winchester 147 gr. TMC 999 2.36

6.0 gr. Power Pistol 121 gr. Hornday JHP 1,235 2.22

Average: 2.20

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 6" PPC Bull Barrel

Black Hills 125 gr. FMJ 1,231 2.77

Federal 124 gr. Hydra-shok 1,161 2.84

Federal 124 gr. FMJ Match 1,185 2.78

Winchester 147 gr. TCMC 1,035 3.18

6.0 gr. Power Pistol 121 gr. Hornday JHP 1,248 2.03

Average: 2.72

STI "Trojan" 5"

Black Hills 125 gr. FMJ 1,146 2.87

Federal 124 gr. Hydra-shok 1,063 2.61

Federal 124 gr. FMJ Match 1,105 2.22

Winchester 147 gr. TCMC 944 1.87

6.0 gr. Power Pistol 121 gr. Hornday JHP 1,170 2.33

Average: 2.38

RETEST

Springfield Armory 1911-A1 6" PPC, Nowlin Standard Barrel

Black Hills 124 gr. JHP 1,306 2.02

Federal 124 gr. Hydra-shok 1,151 1.79

Federal 124 gr. FMJ Match 1,176 2.24

Winchester 147 gr. TCMC 1,028 2.10

Anderson 147 gr. XTP 1,032 1.83

Anderson 147 gr. FMJ Match 1,040 1.66

Winchester 147 gr. Silvertip 1,003 1.40

6.0 gr. Power Pistol 121 gr. Hornday JHP 1,269 1.74

Average: 1.85

Retest With Bull Barrel

Black Hills 124 gr. JHP 1,290 1.77

Federal 124 gr. Hydra-shok 1,157 1.55

Federal 124 gr. FMJ Match 1,187 1.67

Winchester 147 gr. TCMC 1,037 2.19

Anderson 147 gr. XTP 1,034 1.23

Anderson 147 gr. FMJ Match 1,048 1.09

Winchester 147 gr. Silvertip 1,044 2.07

6.0 gr. Power Pistol 121 gr. Hornday JHP 1,268 1.42

Average: 1.75

Accuracy results are results of three, 10-shot groups @50 yds.

from Ransom rest.

Velocity is the instrumental average of 30 shots @ 15 feet.

My STI Sentry is amazing. I have seen my husband put them all in 1" at 25 yards. I can put a lot in but the gun is better than I am. That is with 115 or 124 grn.

For an out of the box gun for Bianchi Metallic, I can't think of a better gun than STI's Targetmaster. That thing is practically built for Metallic Division. I'm thinking of picking up one myself for the same purpose.