Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Smoke & Hope

Flexmoney

I really like shooting 1, 2, 4, 3, S. It just feels more consistent to me and I like accelerating into the stop plate. Of course the key is to really see your dot or sight in the center of the rectangle every time. I've scored sub 8 in open every time I've shot it so far.

I never liked this order the previous times i tried it. I think it's because 3,4 sounds a lot faster than 4,3 to my ears.

I'm almost .10 faster shooting 1,2,4,3,S (so far) so who am i to argue? Maybe the speed seemingly lost on 4,3 is more than made up by the smoother and faster transition to the stop plate.

A sub 8 total would have won the stage at piru most years and would be top 3 every year. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I practice this today with my rimfire to see if I could cut down on the time to get to stop plate. Seams like I am stuck near .50 . If I get wormed up I can take it down to .45

going 3-4 stop I am at .33 on the transition to # 3 and .49 from 4 to the stop. If I go to the far right #4 -3 stop the transition to the stop is .45 but its longer to get the third shot.

I don't have much diff in my center fire or my rimfire = It all seams to be in the first shot and the last transition is the big clock buster

I can see the dot stopping the best by going to # 3 target as my third shot the extra .04 to get from the far target to the stop seams like forever.

I burnt one out just to see how fast I could get off five close shots ( from a low ready) with the rimfire,... I was suprised to get all five hits at 1.39 ! :blink: It was .41-.22-.22-.22-.27

after I could remember the dot placment on the first four but not the stop, my steel is mounted louse so every targets moves a bit for a few seconds.

This is one that gets its own place in my note book. After that I was still in the .45 range to the stop plate with my center fire, and puching like heck to get the runs near 2.25+

?What do you good friends think about just burning one out every now and thin to feal the and see the speed?

I am going to need a rubdown for my arm and ellbow.

Jamie B)

We (CASA) just finished our Arkansas Steel Challenge State match about an hour ago.

CASA had a prize of $100 to the fastest single time on Smoke and Hope.

Jess Christiansen ???? won with a 2.02 seconds. I didn't see the run, but everyone was bragging on how fast it was. Hell, my best time with a centerfire is about 2.75. And that was smokin' for me. Today is was in the 3.20's +

later

We (CASA) just finished our Arkansas Steel Challenge State match about an hour ago.

CASA had a prize of $100 to the fastest single time on Smoke and Hope.

Jess Christiansen ???? won with a 2.02 seconds. I didn't see the run, but everyone was bragging on how fast it was. Hell, my best time with a centerfire is about 2.75. And that was smokin' for me. Today is was in the 3.20's +

later

Do you mean "Jay" not Jess?= cant be that many 'Fast -Christiansen's in Ark. that guy is great to visit with and shoot with. :D 'I used to want a scar like that' ...if it is the same guy?

My time at a match is just barrly under 3 ...I am hoping for some help to get my practice time closer to my match time. 10% is my goal

FWIW, only 3 people (KC, Max & JJ) have shot Smoke & Hope under 8 total at the Steel Challenge. KC's done it twice.

I've played with it a bunch-- even the BE way and today I'm at 4-3-1-2-S (lefty). My draw's still a little sluggish on this one, leaving me with good runs in the low 2's. TGO congratulated me after I put down a set of mid-2's last year at the SC, so I guess it doesn't suck all that bad ;) (Actually I had 4 good runs in the bank and decided to go for it on the last one, with predictable crash-n-burn results. Walking off the stage, TGO was there and said something like 'that was good'. I said "you mean that last trashed run?", thinking maybe he was joking, but he then said "the last thing you needed was another 2.4", which was absolutely true.)

• 2 weeks later...

I finally broke three seconds on this stage last month, a 2.99 :ph34r:

One thing that I must remember is to see something pointed in the general direction of the first four plates. I shoot it 1,2,3,4, and a 3.15 run is really about as fast as I can go if I expect it to be clean.

If I can just make myself see a blur of the slide indexed on the square plates things usually work out.

This stage has never helped my overall standing, but it can kill your score in a heartbeat. I ate two misses (plate 2 and 3) last time. That's six seconds. If I plan to make-up a miss on Smoke&Hope it better be on the stop plate or it will never be made-up.

Edited by JD45

• 1 year later...

this stage kills me every time

i can hit the 1,2,3,4 plate pretty fast it's that last little f#$@#$ that gets me every time

i have so much trouble switching gears from as fast as i can to accurate enough

i'm going to shoot it this weekend and im going to try brian's way of 2,1,3,4,s

that seems interesting

Question:

Never having shot this before am I correct in assuming you shoot only one round on each target?

I think they way BE said to do it reduces your horizontal travel and seems to impart more of a diagonal travel to move the weapon to engage the 3-4 targets.

I guess I should practice this also.

JK

i can hit the 1,2,3,4 plate pretty fast it's that last little f#$@#$ that gets me every time

The warp speed nature of this stage is a real killer. I have been trying not to mash the trigger on 1-4, which when your going fast is hard to do. When it's grooving i seem to be able to drive to the stop plate more consistently .

shooting it 1,2,4,3,S in the 2.1-2.5 range.

I shoot this 3,4,1,2,s. I have trouble with visual patience on the stop plate I usally rush the shot on the stop plate. When I have good vision my times are ok 2.50-2.85. If I have bad vision not so good! Limited out of DOH holster.

BK

• 4 months later...

I was shooting this with my 625 and USPSA loads @ 170pf, my time was 12.7. I was consistently 3.5 for the first four runs, and went for it on the last run for a 2.76.

My question: What are your times like when you start shooting SC again for the season? I haven't been to a match in nearly a year, and don't practice, so I'm wondering if 12-13 for a first try cold is acceptable, or if I'm kidding myself about having the draw/turn/whatever to compete at the top of this game.

H.

• 8 months later...

Been hitting the steel hard lately getting ready for Piru, decided to take Nicky's suggestion and shoot this 4,3,1,2,S

Seems to be working well, drawing to my strong side has been consistently around .90 or better. Runs in the solid 2.2 range.

Sweeping left to right on the way to the stop plate feels natural too.

Trick of the day again?

Edited by ong45

• 5 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

Sounds like John Nagel or Ron Oliver to me. There is a list of rimfire records in SC if you know where to look. I think KC still has the record for S&H Rimfire Optics at 5.87.

Edited by photoracer

He had a few gun issues (running a 2011 with rimfire conversion) so some strings he lost a fair whack of time. He said it was some way off his best but he finished the rimfire match on 87 seconds. Still about 10 secs in front of second. It was Damien Curtis. Australian shooter. Total gentleman too.

He finished 3rd at last years world steel match in rimfire with a 75. Max shot 73 last year for the top spot in rimfire.

I imagine a 1.41 must be close to the fastest single run on s+h. Though kc may have one even faster in his 5.87 (1.46 avg).

I wish I had it on vid too. It was something worth seeing. :)

• 1 month later...

Sounds like John Nagel or Ron Oliver to me. There is a list of rimfire records in SC if you know where to look. I think KC still has the record for S&H Rimfire Optics at 5.87.

fastest time ever at the WSSC for Smoke & Hope is 6.16 secs by BJ in 2013 ...

Edited by Nimitz

I seen KC shoot under that a couple of times at lower level events. If shooting was more like the Olympic sports then the WSSC time would be like the Olympic record and officially recognized times outside of that would be the world record. Trust the shooting sports organizations to screw things up.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty damn fast. I watched KC do 4 1.5s in S&H back in 2010 with a borrowed S&W 41 at a Tier II SC match. At last years NSSF RC WC my friend and I did some timing on BJ and we found it incredible that on a 7 target string similar to 5 To Go on a pistol stage he missed a target and had to go back 4 targets to pickup the miss and his transition was still .2s for the miss.