Flexmoney

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

This one was fun, although I absolutely trashed my first run at it, putting the pressure on for the other 4.

I shot it 4, 3, 2, 1, stop for a few of the runs and then switched to 1, 2, 3, 4, stop just to see if there was any difference. Didn't seem like any to me and I normally like drawing to the holster side target first instead of across the body.

• 2 weeks later...

In the last few couple or three years I shot this one, I came up with a really cooky order, which I hadn't seen before. But I liked it and would definitely shoot it this way again: 2,1,3,4 stop. I liked starting on 2 instead of one because it cut down the over swing for the stage, if you think of the swing as beginning from the start target. So to start, I'd line up on 3, then I could comfortably pivot to 2 to start. Then once the gun was out of the holster and I hit the first target, the transition to 1 was unnoticeable, then 3,4 and stop.

Only considering targets 3,4, I always preferred to shoot them 3,4 then stop, because overall, for me, day in day out, it just felt more comfortable and more repeatable. It's a little riskier because you chance missing the stop, especially if you nail the first four and take the checkered flag before you are actually finished the stage.

I'd shoot targets 1-4 with the same, type-two, confirming focus. SEE the target, then SEE the gun pointed at it. Then after hitting 4, I would "gather up my vision" so as to bring the gun more centrally into view at the same time I was finding the stop plate. This was a feeling I learned to incorporate that cut down misses on the stop due to rushing. If you try to shot the stop with a type-two focus, you'll probably hit it about 50/50. At about a 2 sec pace, your going so fast that you're seeing/calling the shot on the stop at the exact instant the gun fires. When you notice that you did not see/call the shot (on the stop) until almost imperceptibly after the shot fired - that's when you have a problem. Gather or reel the sights in as you come on the stop.

be

• 5 months later...

I've been doing it this 2,1,3,4,S way as an experiment since reading BE's post up there. My times aren't noticeably worse (usually running about 10.something for 4 runs)-- but it's solid and it confuses the competition. I'm all for it.

edit: I'm now doing this 3,4,1,2,S since it's even lefty-friendlier.

Edited by shred

A lot of the top guys are shooting 1-2-4-3-stop or 4-3-1-2-stop. It seems you get a good rythm(?) sweeping to the stop plate. I tried this but was not able to make it work. i shoot 1-2-3-4- stop in the low 9's.

James

• 9 months later...

I need to line up on the stop plate, then twist and hold my torso for the draw. If I line up for the draw, I'm too twisted up for the far plate swing.

I'm a confirmed one-eyed iron sight shooter but I find myself keeping both eyes open to shoot this one. Last time I practiced it, it wasn't working on the stop plate, but this time it was, I think because I lined up my NPA for the stop plate.

I need to line up on the stop plate, then twist and hold my torso for the draw. If I line up for the draw, I'm too twisted up for the far plate swing.

Have you tried the BE-plan? Not much twist to draw.

#2 first huh? I gotta try that next time.

I know it's wacky, but I was able to convince myself it was best for me.

;)

Line up on the stop plate. Then, my first shot was a tad quicker and more consistent on plate 2 opposed to plate 1. And comparing the 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 transition combined with the plate 3 transition - no difference. So up to there I'm decided. Then to compare 3,4,S to 4,3.S, while in theory 4,3,S may be smother, I could never get it to work consistently for me - I missed the Stop more shooting 4,3,S than I did 3,4,S. I felt as though I had more time to get back to the sights before hitting the trigger for the Stop if plate 4 was the last target before it.

Regardless of the order you choose... two last tricks:

a. In the match, be sure you are not in any way thinking about "the order."

b. On the buzzer, don't "give up" your visualization. Program your mind so that the buzzer activates your mental video tape of the stage.

be

The fast guys tend to shoot 4,3, stop. I tried this for a while but was not able to get comfy with it.

Seemed better to get the "hosing" part done with and then shift gears for a more deliberate shot on the stop plate.

James

• 5 weeks later...
I shot it #2 first at the Ione SC match today and freaked out a couple SC vets. After my solid first run (Nolan caught it on Hosercam) things went to hell, but it had nothing to do with the 2-1-3-4 order.

That's my favorite part, freaking out the other shooters :)

• 1 month later...

I think it was Eric who said " you can't shoot this stage slow enough"

sage advice, i really pooched this stage last practice with iron sights, the one run that i saw everything clearly i ran 2.4 or so . With the crazy blind runs i was doing 2.9's and higher.

When will i ever learn?

• 3 weeks later...

I had some strange runs on this today with my Open gun. I shot 1-2 normally, but it seemed like I was looking at the stop plate and seeing the dot on 3-4 in my peripheral vision. Like my vision wasn't keeping up with my gun. Usually, my dot doesn't keep up with my vision.

It didn't feel right, but I'll take a 9.20 without complaining. (With a personal best 2.09 run from a personal best .75 draw.)

Oooops........did I say that was a .75 draw? Actually you were 1.75 on the draw.........with some great transitions!

Will they teach me how to run a timer in the RO class?

Icer

---Too shallow for a cool sig line---

Oooops........did I say that was a .75 draw?  Actually you were 1.75 on the draw.........with some great transitions!
2.09 total off a 1.75 draw? let's see, that 0.34 seconds for the remaining 4 shots. wow, they really were great transitions. i think the 0.75 draw sounds more like it. even i can go faster than 1.75...and i'm no erik warren.

• 9 months later...

Today I shot Smoke & Hope for the first time since Piru last year, and I was back to my old habits: 1-2-3- then flinging a broken-wrists shot at #4 in my peripheral vision, missing half the time.

So I tried 1-2-4-3 and shot a 1.99 with my Limited gun (Major ammo). Sweeeeeeet. And never missed #4.

Meanwhile, ong45 gave it a try with his Open steel gun and shot a 2.16 on his first run. With the dot turned off.

We think this order is the Trick of the Day. When it gets old and we start missing, we're going to reverse it, 4-3-1-2.

I really like shooting 1, 2, 4, 3, S. It just feels more consistent to me and I like accelerating into the stop plate. Of course the key is to really see your dot or sight in the center of the rectangle every time. I've scored sub 8 in open every time I've shot it so far.