Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Camdex?

konkapot

Anybody know (or have a really good idea) as to what a Camdex 2100 machine costs?

FY42385

either you shoot alot, or you are thinking of commercially making ammo. I have seen some small operators use a 1050, bulletfeeder and autodrive for a fraction of that cost. But I am sure you knew that already.

Max load rate is 4,200 rounds per hour. You can go balls out with cartridges like the .38 Special and such but for 9mm and most auto pistol cartridges, you will spill powder due to the jarring so just turn the rate down half speed and run it that way. I've spoken with commercial reloaders that have them and they run 9mm at 2,500 rounds per hour and .38 Special at 4,000 rounds per hour, to give an example. They had a machine running at SHOT show that was pretty cool to watch. Maybe some day. Still pimping ammo loaded on the 1050 and 550.

Hmmmmm. Sounds like more research is in order.

Not planning on selling ammo; I just hate reloading.

In my little pea brain I was hoping to find one in the $3000-$4000 range.

Thanks everyone.

FY42385

Thanks everyone.

FY42385

There again, you could always buy a 1050 and hire a responsible teenager to come over and load ammo after school. My 1050 easily does 1100 rounds an hour without a bullet feeder. I don't use the bullet feeder because it allows to visibly see the powder in the case as my hand is going up to set a bullet. A kid with a good head on his shoulders that is 1/2 way mechanically inclined can come over and load 3,000 rounds pretty easy after school each day. Let him do that for a week and you have 15,000 rounds loaded up and if you paid him $10 an hour it only cost you $150 + components. The cost of the Camdex machines are minor, it's feeding them that's a real pain.

Thanks everyone.

FY42385

Powers Custom offer a combo deal on the Mr. BulletFeeder and PW Autodrive. That and a new or used 1050 puts you in the ballpark price range.

Powers Custom offer a combo deal on the Mr. BulletFeeder and PW Autodrive. That and a new or used 1050 puts you in the ballpark price range.

That's still nothing like a Camdex. Just the MA Systems collators that the Camdex uses for case and bullet feeders are over $1000 each so I wouldn't hold my breath finding one for that cheap.

Thanks everyone.

FY42385

Problem there is the auto drive operates at less speed than the bullet feeder and manual operation. The bullet feeder can keep up with manual operation but the auto drive cannot keep up with the bullet feeder. All it does is remove operator fatigue and increase convenience. Top off the brass, bullets, powder, and primers every so often and keep an eye on it. I can load on my 1050 faster manually putting the bullet on the case and operating the lever than a 1050 with bullet feeder and auto drive.

What the auto drive IS good for is semi-automated brass processing. Setup an XL650 with case feeder and auto drive. Get a lube die, then Dillon trimmer, then put a powder die in each empty hole on the toolhead for stability. Run the case feeder and auto drive and you will lube, decap, FL resize, and trim your rifle brass virtually hands free. I'm working on this setup in .308. Trying to look for a beat up 650 press. Might be able to talk Dillon into selling me a 650 with just the toolhead, shellplate, locator buttons; no priming system or powder measure. I doubt it though. Could also crunch the numbers and see if for full price they can swap out the trimmer for the priming system and PM. Had a similar setup for the 550 and .223 I tried out from a local guy. Lube, size, trim on the 550, then load on the 1050 with station 2 having a Lee uni-decap die to make sure the flash hole is clear of media (tumble the lube off prior to actual loading). His lube die ran like an IV bag of lube into the lube reservoir on the die to keep the sponge thingie full of lube. He made a bracket that hung on the case feeder.

All it does is remove operator fatigue and increase convenience. Top off the brass, bullets, powder, and primers every so often and keep an eye on it. I can load on my 1050 faster manually putting the bullet on the case and operating the lever than a 1050 with bullet feeder and auto drive.

It does allow you to casegauge concurrent with loading, so it takes that time out of the process.

It is also nice not going into the competition season with tendonitis in my gun arm as I have started to do as I have gotten a wee bit older...LOL

If you know what you are doing and pay attention it is a great set up!

DougC

All it does is remove operator fatigue and increase convenience. Top off the brass, bullets, powder, and primers every so often and keep an eye on it. I can load on my 1050 faster manually putting the bullet on the case and operating the lever than a 1050 with bullet feeder and auto drive.

It does allow you to casegauge concurrent with loading, so it takes that time out of the process.

For the guys that gauge their ammo, yes. I don't bother. Load and shoot.