Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Attention and Error Games

benos

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure where to ask this, but I have been thinking how I tend to verbalize things in my head when I am doing something, especially shooting. And the thought occurred to me that when I read, I say the words in my head. Is it possible to "read" and "understand" while not verbalizing the words in one's head?

Not sure where to ask this, but I have been thinking how I tend to verbalize things in my head when I am doing something, especially shooting. And the thought occurred to me that when I read, I say the words in my head. Is it possible to "read" and "understand" while not verbalizing the words in one's head?

In short, yes and you must.

The good news is that verbalizing the rehearsal is a good start to visualization. As you do this more you CAN learn to see the actions without the words; making a movie of your rehearsal.

For me visualization improved as my gun handling skills and match experience grew. Along the way the voice grew quieter and the visualization improved.

See what you need to see applies well beyond sight alignment and trigger control. See you visualization movie - it is a silent film.

Also this works outside the shooting sports. Visualizing really helps me organize work flow as I plan a project. It's a form of rehearsal and refinement.

Hope this helps you

Hey, I am actually getting better at "reading" the sights without "saying" anything to myself!

Thanks practical_man, that does help. I am certainly saying less to myself as I gain more experience. I will try the "silent movie" idea for sure.

• 2 months later...

I think that drill in the back of the enos book where you close your eyes while drawing the gun is suppose to teach you how to feel the draw, no? I have been doing this drill a while (I am a slow learner?) and I am amazed at how much information one can gather when one closes their eyes and pays attention to what they "feel" . I had been noticing when I dry fire draw practice, that from time to time the front sight would disappear and then reappear while I was pushing the gun out into position. I couldn't really tell what was going on, just knew that something was not right?. I certainly didn't feel like I was doing anything to cause it. This morning I was doing the eyes close drill, paying attention to the feel of pushing the gun out into position and it happened. I totally felt myself push the muzzle of the gun down and back up into the correct position. And when I opened my eyes, the sight was there. But I certainly couldn't feel myself doing it before. It was only when doing this drill, paying attention to the "feel" of what I was doing. So now when I practice my draws, I am really paying attention to the "feel" of just driving the gun straight out, without pushing it down at all. It pays to pay attention!

I think that drill in the back of the enos book where you close your eyes while drawing the gun is suppose to teach you how to feel the draw, no? I have been doing this drill a while (I am a slow learner) and I am amazed at how much information one can gather when one closes their eyes and pays attention to what they "feel" . I had been noticing when I dry fire draw practice, that from time to time the front sight would disappear and then reappear while I was pushing the gun out into position. I couldn't really tell what was going on, just knew that something was not right. I certainly didn't feel like I was doing anything to cause it. This morning I was doing the eyes close drill, paying attention to the feel of pushing the gun out into position and it happened. I totally felt myself push the muzzle of the gun down and back up into the correct position. And when I opened my eyes, the sight was there. But I certainly couldn't feel myself doing it before. It was only when doing this drill, paying attention to the "feel" of what I was doing. So now when I practice my draws, I am really paying attention to the "feel" of just driving the gun straight out, without pushing it down at all. It pays to pay attention!

Nice work!

While doing many activities, removing viusal inputs will accelerate consistent performance. Which really works for drawing to a perfect sight pitcure with your eyes closed.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

The point of this game is to refine the state of noticing. Of becoming more and more aware. All the time. Not just when you think it is important.

When you notice an "error," don't judge yourself. Be happy that you noticed! :) Noticing is where it's at.

• 2 years later...