Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot GSSF?

Pro2AInPA

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gssf is the reason I got into competitive shooting. Now I know how basic it is, but back then I bought a Glock 17 and it came with the flyer. My lady read the part about "LE Priced Glocks" and signed me up for the discount. Then we found out there was a match 20 mins from our house and I had 2 chances to win a random gun just for showing up, so I went. Coming from an "anti gun" household I had never experienced anything like it so it was a real eye opener. Now I shoot USPSA, SASS, and practical pistol/ steel matches all the time. I am greatful to glock for doing it. Now that there aren't any matches close to me I still maintain my membership so that they have my money to keep this program going for other newbies

My first ever competitive shooting match was a GSSF match out in Orlando and I had a great experience. It was good preparation for getting into the move and shoot USPSA world and I recommend it to anyone who is interested.

The GSSF membership is nice also because it allowed me to buy the G34 Gen 4 that I use for USPSA Production at a great price. I'll stock up on some more Glock pistols as I get more opportunities through the program.

My club has a GSSF match every year. We have lots of shooters who come for it from even out of town. I have been a RO for this match for the past four years. My advise, give it a try.

And to the person wishing S&W would do something like that. +1 for me.

• 1 month later...

Little late in getting in on this thread, but like others I like GSSF. It's set up to entice entry level shooters and challenge more experience shooters. Some see the lack of movement as boring, other don't. GSSF is very novice friendly and very forgiving, almost to a fault. A lot of the shooters and some ROs are very lacking in knowledge and/or experienced while other are not. I've had fair amount of luck or sucess in GSSF, I've won around 25 guns and my wife a couple.

To me GSSF and shooting games in general are about more than just the shooting. Only time I get to see some of my friends is at the range and the match becomes a social event or reunion as much as a pistol match.

• 4 months later...
Guest COUNTYGUARDIAN3

New to the forum but want to echo the value of GSSF shooting. It is, by design, an entry level sport that can be used as a gateway to other similar matches. It is simple enough for the ABSOLUTELY new shooter; but, challenging enough that very advanced master class shooters still find it challenging.

I got back into competitive shooting about three years ago after about a 20 year layoff. I have found this to be one of the greatest opportunities to meet new friends, stay in touch with old friends, shoot against others of similar skill/age levels and win prizes for my efforts.

Before anyone writes GSSF off, you would do yourself a favor by shooting one fo the almost 50 matches that are sponsored across the US every year. Good times and good competition are waiting.