Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot GSSF?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Just out of curiosity - I know that for the most part Glocks have to be "stock" in GSSF, but that you can swap in parts from other Glocks and new sights.

With that mind, getting my Glock 17 setup for GSSF I am planning only the following:

- The 4.5 lb connector from the Glock 34

- The extended mag release from the Glock 34

- Sevigny Competition sights

Anything else one should plan on doing or is that about it?

Edited by MGMorden

Just out of curiosity - I know that for the most part Glocks have to be "stock" in GSSF, but that you can swap in parts from other Glocks and new sights.

With that mind, getting my Glock 17 setup for GSSF I am planning only the following:

Grip tape if you want it. Otherwise you're good to go

• 3 weeks later...

I've always wanted to get into and shoot GSSF to get me into the shooting sports and for a chance to win another Glock, but they just don't have any around my area. Does anyone know how I would go about maybe trying to set one up? I'm going to check their website but wasn't sure if someone knew.

It's a little tricky to set up a match. Glock sends a couple employees to help out and they only have a few that work in the GSSF program. There is a link on the website for an application to host a match. Fill it out and send it in. As clubs step away from GSSF there are always several more looking to step in. It may take a few years but if it's a good fit they'll work you in. The more information you can put on the application the better.

Should I find out if there's interest in the area then try to set one up, or send in the application then go trying to find people to shoot it? I know at least half a dozen that would show up if we were able to get one going.

I've always wanted to get into and shoot GSSF to get me into the shooting sports and for a chance to win another Glock, but they just don't have any around my area. Does anyone know how I would go about maybe trying to set one up? I'm going to check their website but wasn't sure if someone knew.

We are putting on a GSSF match at Schultzs Rod and Gun Club in Muskego Wi on October 6th and 7th.

Its just west of Milwaukee. We've had it for a few years. Last year, we had almost 200 shooters, which is relatively small for a GSSF match, but is the best turn out we've had yet. Come on out, and give it a try!

Dean

• 2 months later...

I started shooting GSSF indoor league and still enjoy shooting it. I even won a drawing gun a couple months ago. It is a different match to shoot and it can come across as boring but it is also a good way to work on longer range shooting fundamentals. I think it is one of the best ways to get someone into pistol shooting sports.

• 3 months later...

I just got done shooting my first GSSF match this weekend. Really kicking myself on my performance. Had 2 Misses on the farthest target on "5 to Glock", and had a gun jam on "Glock the Plates" that cost me 10-12 seconds to clear (from reading the rules I *THINK* I should have gotten a reshoot due to the malfunction, but the RO didn't stop me and I didn't feel like bringing up the issue). My Glock (17) is normally a backup gun to my M&P which I shoot better, but that match really highlighted how much I really need to practice with that gun.

Overall the match was fun, but certainly did seem VERY basic for someone more used to shooting other disciplines. Still, aside from my shoddy performance I still had fun. There's an even closer match to me in October (that I volunteered to RO for) that I'll attend again and hopefully improve my score.

As to the squading - I've pretty much got the hang of it after seeing it, but I kinda wish that the staff would have explained it a bit better. At the match I went to I was pre-reg'd. I went in to Registration, was handed 3 stickers and pointed in the direction of the shooting bays. I wasn't told how to sign in, how the process worked, or anything. Eventually I tracked someone down that explained the squading procedure and all went well there but things would have been a lot better if the registration person would have either explained it or at least gave out a sheet explaining it.

On your malfunction, what I tell the RO's is to offer the reshoot at the end of the string. I've had shooters who have been stopped and asked and found out they didn't bring enough ammo for a reshoot. We always found enough to get them through but sometimes it's tight. Glock allows a reshoot for any reason, once. After that you need to go have the armorer look at your gun before continuing.

Sorry about the lack of briefing. In years past they used to make all new shooters sit through a live briefing offered by the GSSF RM. Now they have information online and there is normally a printed New Shooter Guide or two sitting around at Registration. If you're a new shooter, and let the folks at reg know they've always been very helpful. But I've also seen a lot of shooters turned off by the handholding they used to do. Every GSSF match I've been to, if you ask for help you get it.

If you are a new shooter it is best to look at the new shooter guide that is online. Also follow basic saftey rules dont handle your gun unless supervised by a range officer or at a safe tabe. It is a good idea to tell the ROs that you are new, we will then asist you to complete the course of fire. Also take into consideration that there have been record turnouts so be prepared to wait.

The GSSF match I worked the people running it made it very clear that any question the best thing was to give a reshoot and help however we could. I saw ammo exchanged, shooters pointed towards the armorers and told to come back while their score sheets were kept placed on the tree, etc. GSSF is great for new shooters or casual shooters and the rules are geared for that. I would really like to see shooter briefings either scheduled multiple times during the event or via a DVD setup as people show up at different times. We had a few people show up who had just purchased their Glocks and the GSSF event was the first rounds fired through them other than the factory test shots.

GSSF views themselves as an "on ramp" to the other shooting sports (IDPA, USPSA, etc.) and I agree with that. I will shoot GSSF and indoor GSSF when I can but mainly for the chance of winning prizes or a gun plus trigger time.

If you ever work as a RO at a match the first answer is always "Do you want a reshoot?"

• 4 months later...

Check this out. http://www.glocktriggers.com/products/guardian/

GSSF is a great way to start competition shooting due to the minimal equipment requirements and simple stages. It's how I got started in competition shooting (13 years ago!) and I still try to get to 1-2 matches a year.

The only issue I've ever had is some very long wait times, so I'd recommend pre-registering for the match and shooting early Sunday morning, if possible.

-Scott

HTTP://TeamGreenbaum.com

I think it's a big waist of money, you have to join the GSSF and pay for your match fee. I think it totals about $60 for one match, I wouldn't do it again.

Maybe, but joining GSSF also gets you 1 cert/year for a Glock at LE prices, the annual, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

After 11 years of not shooting GSSF , I thought I'd do it again. I found out that as of May 2011, the certificate eligibility changed. GSSF members must wait 12 months before obtaining the discount certificate. Which means 2 membership renewals.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

This p----d me off so I did not join and I bought an M&P when S&W ran a rebate and I was money ahead. Now I shoot SWSSF. :mellow:

Not exactly...

Members renewing a membership, no matter how long expired, receive the pistol discount coupon with their updated ID card in 2-3 weeks. New members who join for two or more years receive the same coupon with their materials in 2-4 weeks. Eligibility is one coupon per calendar year.

Renewing members of any type or New Multi-Year members will receive 2 membership cards. 1 card will be clearly marked as ‘GSSF Pistol Purchase Coupon’ and no member may receive the discounted price without this card.

I think it's a big waist of money, you have to join the GSSF and pay for your match fee. I think it totals about $60 for one match, I wouldn't do it again.

Maybe, but joining GSSF also gets you 1 cert/year for a Glock at LE prices, the annual, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

After 11 years of not shooting GSSF , I thought I'd do it again. I found out that as of May 2011, the certificate eligibility changed. GSSF members must wait 12 months before obtaining the discount certificate. Which means 2 membership renewals.

http://www.gssfonline.com/GSSF_Pistol_Purchase_Program_Information.pdf

This p----d me off so I did not join and I bought an M&P when S&W ran a rebate and I was money ahead. Now I shoot SWSSF. :mellow:

Tease! I wish there was an SWSSF. I'd actually buy a Smith.