Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone shoot GSSF?

Pro2AInPA

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot a couple GSSF matches before I started shooting USPSA. In fact I won a gun at my very first GSSF match, just by luck.

Anyways I think it's a great way to get people into the shooting sports, I'm happy that Glock does it.

With that said for those who enjoy USPSA and other action shooting sports it is a bit boring. There is no movement, no reload, no moving targets, no steel, etc. But the prizes are a whole lot better than a typical USPSA club match.

Very simple matches that focus on the basics, accuracy, transitions, ect. No movement, reloads, or draws just stand and shoot the stage. These matches have one of the best payback programs out there, if you win you’re class you win a Glock of you’re choice. I wish S&W would start a program like this (PLEASE S&W).

As others have said, the emphasis is on accuracy and there is the potential to win a Glock, but... It can be difficult to practice for and expensive to shoot, particularly if you can only make it to one match a year.

But if you have not done it, I think it's worth doing at least once.

I think it's a big waist of money, you have to join the GSSF and pay for your match fee. I think it totals about $60 for one match, I wouldn't do it again.

Maybe, but joining GSSF also gets you 1 cert/year for a Glock at LE prices, the annual, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

As for the match, yeah, what the others said. While I belong to GSSF, I usually RO one day and take a free mag instead of shooting it. Great for new shooters!

I think it's a big waist of money, you have to join the GSSF and pay for your match fee. I think it totals about $60 for one match, I wouldn't do it again.

Maybe, but joining GSSF also gets you 1 cert/year for a Glock at LE prices, the annual, and a bunch of other cool stuff.

As for the match, yeah, what the others said. While I belong to GSSF, I usually RO one day and take a free mag instead of shooting it. Great for new shooters!

Ok, I will admit, I did like the GSSF hat that I got. I was not impressed with the match though.

GSSF is designed as an entry pistol competition. There are a ton of guns, money, and other prizes given away to amatuers and newcomers. There are new member drawings, random giveaways and awards based on performance. It's an excellent way to get new shooters involved with action pistol shooting. If they find it boring, get them to a Steel Challenge or USPSA match.

While the courses of fire are boring for seasoned USPSA competitors, they are tough. There is always a goal to reach. Since it uses the same courses you can easily compare performance from match to match, gun to gun and year to year.

Yes GSSF costs a bit for the first match. Take advantage of the discount certificate, multiple matches and multiple entries at each match. That price goes down a bit. I normally shoot about 500 rounds in 2 hours each GSSF match I go to. In 6 matches last year I took home $4800.00. (At least according to the tax form Glock sent me). It's a really cool event for newcomers and masters alike.

Go to a match, slow down more than you think you need to and shoot a score. Then see if you can beat it. I'm still trying to break into the 20's with a Major Sub gun and under 35 with my Unlimited. Hopefully this year.

Interesting. I am considering switching to glock for PD at the end of this season.

Is the LE discount significant? (ie typically worth more than the GSSF membership and hassle?)

I can see me buying a new gun this winter, and then another the year after so I can have a back-up/practice gun.

Do you have to have a glock to join and get the certificate or can you join, then buy your first glock?

Thanks! :)

-rvb

Is the LE discount significant? (ie typically worth more than the GSSF membership and hassle?)

I can see me buying a new gun this winter, and then another the year after so I can have a back-up/practice gun.

Do you have to have a glock to join and get the certificate or can you join, then buy your first glock?

Yes, it was $398 for all standard guns up until a few months ago. It has gone up about $25, but still $140 or so off. I still have my cert for this year for the $398. Don't have to have a Glock to join. I often tell people this is the best way to get a first Glock. You DO have to actually request it via e-mail or in writing, they don't send them out willy nilly. They are good people to work with as well.

In 6 matches last year I took home $4800.00. (At least according to the tax form Glock sent me). It's a really cool event for newcomers and masters alike.

Nice haul for last year and you did damn good at Yolo a few weeks back wining every category you entered :bow: I thought I had you beat in stock but obviously they got your score wrong. I will take the hand-me-down gun though :D

I shot one match last year, it cost me $25.00, I shot two divisions and won them both getting a gun and $100. If you volunteer (which is what I did) you can get an entry to the match, you're entered into a drawing for a gun, plus I got a hat and shirt for Ro'ing. Not bad for a couple days at the range.

GSSF matches are to bring in the new shooter/gun owner into the possibilities of shooting some sort of competition, as a seasoned USPSA or other shooting sports you 'might' find it boring because of the 'basic' nature, but itsfor a reason, as co-match director of yolo's match a couple weeks back i can tell you, we had a WIDE variety of shooters from the afor mentioned chuck anderson to this guy who came up to me and i gave him the LAMR commands, he looked at me and said 'how do i do that'???? seems he just got his gun out of 10 day wiat jail and hadnt fired a shot thru it, but wanted to come play with us, and with GSSF, thay take all comers, for me, putting in 40 hrs in 3 days forthe match was kinda brutal, butthe people you meet, and help(fixed 2 do-it-yourselfer's gun probs) its all worth it

btw....we need more people in major sub!!!!!!!!!! hehehe

awesome. thanks for the response. I wasn't aware of that program.

Just to save you a potential problem, find out if there is a participating dealer in your area. If not, you will have to buy the gun from a dealer elsewhere (possibly out of state) and have it shipped to a FFL. If that is the case, then check with your FFL to see if they will do this. The gun dealers here will not - they sell Glocks and are not about to act as a middle man so you can buy a new Glock from someone else.

btw....we need more people in major sub!!!!!!!!!! hehehe

But you need another gun for that :wacko: I shoot stock and open with the same G17. You need a least 3 guns to shoot all the divisions but you'll do better with 4 or 5. I have a buddy who used to clean up at GSSF but has since been sponsored by the conpetition, maybe I should borrow his guns for the next one :lol:

My first ever competition was a GSSF event. That led to USPSA and other steel matches. I must be weird, I like them. They are definitely accuracy events that are easy to go to fast on. I have also been successful in them. In 3 years I have won about 6 guns, a two year membership extension, and quite a bit of money. I have used them to fund many other guns like my first Bedell 40. They do give a lot back to the sport and probably have the easiest way to get prizes. Glock gives out lot of guns and many random prizes (including guns). The cost is not that bad. After you join, then it costs $25.00 per division, and you can choose to shoot up to 5 or 6 divisions. The divisions cover everything from subcompact Glocks to open/unlimited Glocks. I always try to squeeze in 2 or 3 a year. :D

Edited by JTew

I love majorsub!!!!!!!! its a fun division, tho forthe life of me i cant figure out why more people dont come out for it??? (majorsub guns not all that popular???) lack of round count forthe match???(you only load 7 and shoot 1 on each ofthe paper in each run) or the plate rack simply scares the crap outta people(again loading only 7 for a 6 plate platerack)

Ive been shooting USPSA matches for 21 yrs now and i get a kick out of shooting GSSF matches, the people are great, my fellow competitors are fun to shoot with, to borrow a old slogan from the golden state warriors 'its a great time out'

I had a local PD guy come out with his daughter(they bought a Glock the week before) they shot the match then called his wife to come on out with their son and THEY played too!!!!

My very first GSSF match was with a borrowed G35 (which I shot badly) but in the RO raffle I won a certificate for a gun. Thus started my slide downhill, I traded the certificate for a G17, then I removed the optics from my G21C so I could shoot it in Competition instead of my friends G35. Found a used G30 for Majorsub and a new G26 for subcompact then I bought a G24C to build into a USPSA Open gun and a used G24 which will become this years Competition gun. Still trying to figure out what to shoot in Master Stock even though I am only a C shooter.

There is also an armorer there who will check out your Glock and replace all but major components (frame,slide,barrel).

• 3 weeks later...

My club hosts a GSSF match annually, and there is a nearby venue that just started up. I don't travel to them otherwise, but they are good matches at my level (Production/Limited A) because I can be in the hunt for a win in a few divisions (USPSA and IDPA masters are limited to special Master Class awards) in a discipline that awards accuracy and speed, but especially the former.

It may not give the adrenaline rush of a good field course, but there are translatable skills.

• 1 month later...

There are a number of matches around the country. As has been said, GSSF brings a lot of new shooters to the sport. I have gotten many new shooters started this way, and they can venture into other sports as they progress.

To the naysayers, Glock has the biggest payout of any of the manufacturers that I am aware of. I wonder if, at the end of the year, they break even.

This match does have an emphasis on accuracy, as well as speed. It may be boring to some, but try shooting it under 50 seconds and you are doing good. Shoot in the 40's and you can probably hold your own in any of the shooting disciplines.

One of the best things about GSSF is that it brings new shooters to the game and that will benefit us all.

One other big benefit not listed: It is a "lost brass" match. If you RO the event, you get a "prize/gift/award" for each day you work (magazine, a glock knife, match entry fee, 1 year membership, etc...). Plus, all ROs get the brass from the stage you work. We had a HUGE/ridiculous amount of brass at out feet. This year I will be smart enough to bring a tarp to catch brass and make it easier to pick up...

Also, if you RO the match, it is excellent "RO" practice. I ran hundreds of shooters in 2 days...

Great practice, great fun, great people... I recommend GSSF matches to any Glock owner. I also recommend that you volunteer to RO. It will make you a better shooter...

One other big benefit not listed: It is a "lost brass" match. If you RO the event, you get a "prize/gift/award" for each day you work (magazine, a glock knife, match entry fee, 1 year membership, etc...). Plus, all ROs get the brass from the stage you work. We had a HUGE/ridiculous amount of brass at out feet. This year I will be smart enough to bring a tarp to catch brass and make it easier to pick up...

Also, if you RO the match, it is excellent "RO" practice. I ran hundreds of shooters in 2 days...

Great practice, great fun, great people... I recommend GSSF matches to any Glock owner. I also recommend that you volunteer to RO. It will make you a better shooter...

i went to their website and there is only one match in mo and it is far away and only one other in a state close enough to possible travel to and i mean possibly. i hate that because i think this might be the place for me to shoot. i hate living in the middle of no shooting zone if you know what i mean. there is a couple of places within a couple of hours from me for idpa and uspsa for me to shoot local matches but nothing for anything big