Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Old Race Guns

outerlimits

I remember when those guns were the cutting edge.

We started before comps were common :mellow:

DARN...I think I must be OLD :blink:

Jim :huh:

those were fun days..when you could spend nights in the gunsmith shop, turning out comps to try for the weekend match. changing this and that. never had a gun finished, cause you just changed it.

those were fun days..when you could spend nights in the gunsmith shop, turning out comps to try for the weekend match. changing this and that. never had a gun finished, cause you just changed it.

Yep :) thats for sure, I still have a drawer full of them :lol:

Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Now HERE are some old race guns---these are from the 82 or 83 IPSC US Nationals. Those new-fangled compensators were really catching on and everyone was coming up with their own version.

OldPics416.jpg

Here's a line up of the gunsmiths that did the comps in the above pic. 3 or 4 of these guys were also pretty danged good shooters. See how many you can name---I can't remember the 2nd from the right, but know the rest.

OldPics419.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Now HERE are some old race guns---these are from the 82 or 83 IPSC US Nationals. Those new-fangled compensators were really catching on and everyone was coming up with their own version.

OldPics416.jpg

Here's a line up of the gunsmiths that did the comps in the above pic. 3 or 4 of these guys were also pretty danged good shooters. See how many you can name---I can't remember the 2nd from the right, but know the rest.

OldPics419.jpg

It's interesting to notice the difference in stance, grip, body position behind the gun, angle of the head and so on, compared to the techniques we see used used today. This sport has evolved in sooooo many ways!

OldPics419.jpg

I sent the pic to an old-timer friend. This was his guess:

The guy on the far left is Nastoff and the far right Barnhart. Second from left could be Mike Plaxco.

Is the second from the right, Bill Wilson? Its funny to see all but one using a Weaver Stance.

Kevin

OldPics419.jpg

I sent the pic to an old-timer friend. This was his guess:

The guy on the far left is Nastoff and the far right Barnhart. Second from left could be Mike Plaxco.

Is the second from the right, Bill Wilson? Its funny to see all but one using a Weaver Stance.

Kevin

Don't think so, Bill Wilson is a right hander.

far right is Ed Brown

Edited by eerw

hmm I didn't think a comp would work with black powder. :ph34r:

OldPics419.jpg

compensator gunsmiths:

Steve Nastoff, Michael Plaxco, Richard Watson, Frank Behlert, ? (sorry, don't remember), Eddie Brown.

Without a doubt, the finest smith in the group was Nastoff---it wasn't even close, second was Watson.

In the very early days (pre-76 Columbia conference) the three finest pistolsmiths acknowledged as first echelon were Armand Swenson, Jim Hoag, and the Pachmayr shop. Almost EVERY top shooter shot one of these and virtually every top tourney was won with one. In the late 70's and very early 80's a second and third tier of smiths started to materialize. The only ones left in the business today were third tier in those days (Wilson, Baer and Brown). The second tier were guys that built guns as functionally AND COSMETICALLY as good as the top three---they were Nastoff, Craig Wetstein (ex-Pahmayr guy), Richard Heinie and Don Fisher. Few people remember Fisher---Seyfried occassionally used a Fisher gun and Bill Wilson once said that if he didn't build his own guns, he'd use a Fisher gun. The third tier guys built great functional guns, but if you look at an early 80's Wilson/Baer/Brown gun it's finish work is no where near as good as the 2nd tier guys. The fourth tier were guys like Behlert, Jimmy Clark and Mike Plaxco--all of whom built great functional guns but were pretty rough if you looked closely at them.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to bump this old thread, but thought this would be of some interest.

I found this at a local shop and it's gonna be coming home with me :)

i-DzsHwJR-L.jpg

i-JQQ5bKb-L.jpg

and i'm going to try to trade a gun (not the Nastoff above) with my friend for a Nastoff that he got in at his shop if he still has it.

IMG_0115.jpg

Edited by Quack