Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

CZ-USA Model 712 Utility

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A young Lady was using one at the SSM3G a week or so ago and sorry to say she was having problems with it. Could have been ammo, that particular gun, who knows..anyway she finished the match with a Benelli M2. All three of my CZ pistols are totally reliable.

• 11 months later...

I'm very interested in this shotgun as it comes with a 20" barrel which is a better length than the 18" that the Mossberg 930 spx comes with. It is also threaded for chokes and is supposed to come with 5 different chokes.

I saw something about them having some firing pin problems, but that's it in regards to problems. The few reviews I've seen have been positive. If a remington extension works with them, I'm seriously thinking about getting one.

I may have to take one for the team here on the Benos forum and try one out as everybody else is busy chopping/threading 28" mossy barrels for their 930's and I'd rather just add an extension and go with it.

Edited by fastmtnbiker33w

The one I played with I really liked. It is easy to load fast functioning, and fit fairly well. It would be easy to mod one into a good 3-gun shotgun I think. The only question would be durability, but I don't think it would be too bad. It is very Franchi like and may be a "rebadged" Franchi. KurtM

The one I played with I really liked. It is easy to load fast functioning, and fit fairly well. It would be easy to mod one into a good 3-gun shotgun I think. The only question would be durability, but I don't think it would be too bad. It is very Franchi like and may be a "rebadged" Franchi. KurtM

I read on another forum and on the CZ website that they are made in a Turkish factory. Huglu.

As soon as I sell my backup pistol, I'm ordering one. Gonna call my FFL today to see if he can beat the prices I've seen on gunbroker.

nordic is now making tube's for the cz's

I sent an email to Tom Knapp via his web sight about an hour before you guys posted. Good to hear that Nordic is making a tube. Their website is blocked at my work.....I work at a public high school. Luckily the Enos forum gets through.

Thanks a bunch guys. As soon as I get this thing I'm going to kit it out and shoot it lots. I should be able to pick this thing up in about a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I never heard back from Tom Knapp but I was able to find some other forum info about the CZ shotguns. I went ahead and scored one on purchase through gunbroker for under 360 shipped. I've got the nordic tube on order and everything should be here by Thursday. I'm hoping I can get out by Friday afternoon with it to pattern it. I plan to shoot a 3-gun match on Saturday. If the gun doesn't make it to me until Friday, I'll be up late getting the tube on and at least making sure everything loads ok.

Tracking shows that my tube and sights will be here on thursday but the gun won't be here until tomorrow. :angry: I'm going to be up late Friday night getting it ready. I'll be lucky if I'll be able to check the zero for slugs on the morning of the match. I'll be up late and out at the buttcrack of dawn.

Here's a thread on the CZ forum about adding an extension. Supposedly an 870 extension works but you have to modify the factory tube. YMMV.

Yea, that was me that posted that over there.

I still use the 712 for multigun, and it is still doing what I want it to do. I don't practice with it as much as I would like, and my load times are slow as a result, but it has the capability to be run pretty fast by someone with skill. I do wish the lifter gate spring was a little lighter, but I am afraid to mess with it as I don't want to compromise reliability. The mag tube is still running strong and the gun simply does not malf if you clean it every now and then. I smoothed out the loading port area and gave the gun a pretty nice trigger job, and really like the results. The gun is definitely not holding me back. It is light and points well. The value to dollar ratio is way way up there IMO.

AAARRRGGHH! My ffl wasn't home when UPS stopped by. The gun showed up a day early but pointlessly. I could have had it totally dialed by match time Saturday morning. I'm going to pick it up at lunch time tomorrow, run it out to the range with some slugs, sight them in, put on the mag tube Friday night, and hope for the best.

I have the nordic tube for the remington. Totally forgot reading that Nordic is making CZ specific tubes now and didn't call them direct. I have some headset spacers from my stash of bike parts that should keep me from having to cut down the tube on the gun. We'll see.

I promise I'll do my best to try to get some pics on here ASAP.

HJUSTEIN, I'll be contacting you in a few days in regard to the trigger job you did. You should post some pics to this forum to get some people jazzed up on it.

Good to hear about your experience with this gun. I stumbled across this but real world data was lacking.

I had contacted Nordic with the extension question. They said that the benelli nut had been reported to fit. Good to hear that a CZ nut is available.

The Benelli Nova Nut fits the CZ712

Crap. I ordered the Remington one. Are they different threads? Or is it a different length nut? I read on the CZ forum that guys had to cut down the tube on the gun a couple mm to get the remington to go all the way on.

Guess I'll find out for myself in about 8 hours.

Well....I'll be buying a Nova nut. The remington nut is a slightly different pitch. I was able to get it on enough to allow the gun to function and the shells move through the tube. Keeping my fingers crossed on this for tomorrow.

I picked it up at lunch today and went to the range patterned some shot and shot 5 slugs. All hit where I was pointing at about 25 yards. I can't quite get my cheek low enough on the stock to see the rib flat. But I know what i need to do. A bit of metal turned up in the chamber but I got it out. Only one round didn't chamber and all I had to do was bump it and it went in. I was shooting some really old ammo...even some paper shells.

All 9 pellets in the buckshot load I shot hit the IPSC target at 25 yards. 3 to the head and 6 to the torso. I thought that was pretty cool. It has the modified choke in it. It felt ok except for the plastic butt.

So here's what I did when I got home. The mag spring mech is crimped in so I had to grind out the end of the mag tube. Got it nice and beveled so shells won't hang up in it. I had to put a 2 mm spacer under the Nordic nut to get it all tight enough. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Luckily my first 3-gun match tomorrow is a local match and I'm sure there are some guys who will lend me their gun if mine shoots a nordic tube across the range.

Fit and finish are decent especially for a Huglu low priced gun. I like the gas mechanism and recoil spring location. It's large and easy to clean.

My wife is out of town and has our camera, so everyone will have to wait for pics.

Probably a sharp edge on the chamber that got flaked off by the brass of a shell. It was shaped like that.

I shot it today in my first full-on 3-gun match. I still haven't figured out all the intricacies of how to load it and work the lifter. My first stage with it the RO said, "You figure that thing out and you'll be a good shotgunner. That gun is FAST." I had one shell get flipped in the chamber during ejection....I was able to just turn the gun and dump it out. I also had a couple rounds not go into battery all the way. They could have been rounds I picked up off the ground. I shot mix of crap I had sitting around. Some high brass stuff I used worked awesome! I can't believe how many rounds of live ammo I picked up.

I'll order the benelli nova nut this week. It cycled everything in the tube. I didn't notice any hang ups. I'm going to add a butt pad to it and go ahead and mount the Williams Universal sights and see how I like them.

It was a great match today despite some high winds and dust. Lots of first time 3-gunners with borrowed equipment. We all had a blast and I'm stoked that my shotgun worked ok. I can't wait to get it dialed in and really learn how to shoot it REALLY fast.

Is there a button on the lifter or does it just go up? Did it ever catch your thumb?

Any issues with light loads, you mentioned high brass being ok.

Sorry for all the questions, this is the first thread I've found that isn't 3+ years old.

Good to know that the Nova barrel nut fits correctly. I apologize to the guys who bought the Remington nut based upon my post, I kinda figured the Remington nut might have been a slightly different thread pitch since it got so tight, but it worked and that is all that mattered to me.