Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Springer or Canyon Creek Trigger Job?

drysideshooter

I just posted a similar response on another thread. I have one of the SP, CC, and a trigger done by Springfield - sent it in to them. The CC and SP are very very nice, but the Springfield is by far the best. I may have been lucky but it's awesome!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got the Springer Precision treatment. It included a fantastic trigger job, decent price, and most importantly,,,,phenominal turn around time! It felt like the mailman met me at my front door with a finished gun,,,an hour after I mailed it to Oregan! Seriously it was less that 7 days.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having my second trigger job done by Springer as we speak. I was amazed at how good the first one turned out and the trigger reset impressed me more that the trigger pull itself. They're relatively local so I can just drop it off, but I cannot speak highly enough of their work.

• 3 weeks later...

Canyon Creek is my vote. I have both XD9 and XD40 tacticals with Rich's trigger work. Outstanding! I have had people tell me they feel like 1911 triggers. Couldn't be happier. Bshooter

I agree. My CC Custom XDM 9mm has an awesome trigger and shoots great

The only thing one can draw from this thread is that they're all good. Springer Precision, Powder River, Springfield Custom, and Canyon Creek.

That said, Rich did the trigger in my XD45 Compact, and and my LE LT. brother liked it so much he had CC do his 45 tactical, and his XMD45. Excellent work. Rich also did grip safety enhancements on my brother's two guns that are fabulous.

Edited by maestro pistolero

• 2 weeks later...

I was surprised to see that this thread bumped up again. I thought I would let everyone know that I ended up going with a Powder River trigger job. I took my son's gun and my gun to Powder River in person. Great folks there, and they took a lot of time to get the trigger just the way we wanted them. Huge improvement all the way around. The reset is incredible now.

I'm sure that the others do great work as well. Based on my personal experience I have no problem reccomending Powder River Precision. They even threw in some free "bling" for my sons gun.

• 4 months later...

Pro shooters get paid by their sponsors, so going around saying X shooter uses my parts in their pistols without their approval and compensating them appropriately is not something I do without a sponsor relationship in place. What I can say is what I stated previously.

The best way to find out what a shooter is using on a particular day is to ask them, as most of them have many guns that are set up differently, and I know that Rob is no exception.

Pro shooters get paid by their sponsors, so going around saying X shooter uses my parts in their pistols without their approval and compensating them appropriately is not something I do without a sponsor relationship in place. What I can say is what I stated previously.

The best way to find out what a shooter is using on a particular day is to ask them, as most of them have many guns that are set up differently, and I know that Rob is no exception.

Scott, I would not say that Rob using our trigger parts if I did Not have His Explicit Permission say so.

Daniel, I didn't make any comments about any of your posts.

I stated my position on how we advertise when it comes to professionally sponsored shooters that we do not have a sponsor agreement with and that is my personal choice.

Thank you for the clarification.

I know who does Rob's triggers and what parts are used. I have 6 XDm's, 3 are 5.25's. All work on the triggers was done by Springfields Custom Shop, who I feel do an awesome job, but all have also been modified by me. That sometimes works out!

Here is update on my 3 5.25's:

All have Springer, PRP or Canyon Creek light striker springs. All three makers work well with WW or Federal primers. Stock striker springs are used when wanting cleaner trigger release or am shooting ammo with primers other than WW or Federal. All have PRP trigger that is used by the Springfield Custom Shop on the top end trigger jobs. I have lighter sear springs and trigger return springs from PRP, CCC and Springer precision in some, stock in others. Not sure now which is which. I use whichever gives me the return and feel I want in that gun.

All three triggers feel different.

All three have Dawson .100 front sights.

All now have 14 lb recoil springs from Springer.

Gun #1. My original black 5.25. Barrel recently refit by Don Golembieski at Kodiak precision. He is local and my buddy and I wanted to see if it would help, which it does, but it will require lots of load development to be able to take advantage of this mod. IPSC or IDPA shooters would probably have no need for this mod. This is the gun that I shot all the amazing groups with when new. It still shoots very well, is now more consistent. 8'000 plus rounds now on this one. Has Springfield Armory Custom Shop trigger job and is the best of any I have. I shoot this gun very well and have not messed with the trigger other than lighter springs for Federal and WW primers only. This gun's trigger is slightly soft and breaks at 2.5 lbs. I shot this at the steel challenge in the IDPA ESP class. Has grip texturing by Accuracy Speaks. This is my favorite and has yet to malfunction. I shoot this trigger better than any I have and prefer it to any I have seen from others. No disrespect, but the SA custom trigger job does the best for me. Better than I can do and I thought I could do anything.

Gun #2. Bitone 5.25. I really like the looks of the stainless slide. This one has SA Custom Shop trigger with a little messing with by me. I have heavied it up with stock unmodified sear spring to about 3.5 lbs, as that is what will be required for Bianchi Cup. The trigger is very clean! Remarkably so for a polymer pistol. For those of you wanting short movement and solid reset and short over travel, this is the one. Just ask Dave or Deb to make it clean rather than as light as is possible. Has Accuracy speaks grip texturing, New Match grade barrel fit by SA Custom. Has only a few thousand rounds on it as I just always want to shoot gun number one and have only used this one when extensively when Kippi stole #1 for a week.

Gun #3. Black 5.25. My newest. Has PRP grip tape installed, which works as well as anything just doesn't last as long in the Arizona summer heat as the permanent texturing does. Currently has a Barsto barrel in it! Helps to know the right people. Has a mag release from PRP, the one that doesn't turn. Installed perfectly by Daniel his self. This one has CC big diameter tungsten spring guide. Has PRP striker safety lever and trigger job was done by Jeremy at SA Custom. I consider him the master as he has without question done more work on XD/XDm than anyone else. This one is 3.25 lbs and clean. The ultimate compromise between ultra clean and ultra light. Shoots 115 grainers very, VERY well!!! SA Custom gets these weights with stock full power springs giving total reliability with all primers. Only a few hundred on this one as of yet.

All this is as it sits tonight. I cannot guarantee things will not be changed, or that you would like my setups. All three guns are very accurate and crazy reliable.

A note about the drop in triggers. PRP and Springer both make great products and I use them. However, If you aren't the mechanical type, let someone else do it. If you want it perfect, let someone else do it. No way a drop in can be as good as a Custom Shop job. That being said, the drop ins can change the trigger pull, but you gotta know what you are doing. There are lots of checks to make sure you have done everything right. All these void your warranty!! I would be remiss if I didn't say that. If anyone other than Springfield does your trigger job, you void your warranty. Now if you have Daniel or Scott or Rich work on your gun, they will do a great job, I know and respect all three. There are others out there I'm sure. But, If you put the thing together yourself and you do the old figure it out as you go because you do not know what you are doing technique, do not expect the same results as if it was done by an expert.

I have drop in kits from PRP and Springer. They are 75 percent of a good trigger job. But again, you gotta know what you are doing and accept the consequences of voiding the warranty.

Wow, I'm such as buzz kill....

Rob

I know Daniel, I just had to say what I thought. I'm putting a different mag release in my number 2 gun, can I get away with your lighter spring for that with the weird no turn mag release? I hate changing them things so I don't wanna do it more than I have to. BTW, received the grip tape stuff, thanks again!!. You gotta figure out some sort of permanent adhesive for that stuff. I really like the shape but when it gets 110 it starts to move around a little. I wouldn't care if I couldn't ever remove it. Of course I'm the only one who would want it that way so you'd never sell any, but I'd be happy!! Or I could move to somewhere cooler than HELL!!!

Seriously though thanks, I really appreciate your stuff. Hey, can you make me some really light trigger return springs?

Rob

I know Daniel, I just had to say what I thought. I'm putting a different mag release in my number 2 gun, can I get away with your lighter spring for that with the weird no turn mag release? I hate changing them things so I don't wanna do it more than I have to. BTW, received the grip tape stuff, thanks again!!. You gotta figure out some sort of permanent adhesive for that stuff. I really like the shape but when it gets 110 it starts to move around a little. I wouldn't care if I couldn't ever remove it. Of course I'm the only one who would want it that way so you'd never sell any, but I'd be happy!! Or I could move to somewhere cooler than HELL!!!

Seriously though thanks, I really appreciate your stuff. Hey, can you make me some really light trigger return springs?

Rob

Not a problem. How light do you want the trigger springs in percentages? -60% from stock?