Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

G34 - Light Primer Strikes

gunzoo

I have Lightning Strike light steel strikers in my G35 and G34 with the wolff 4lb spring. They run 100% I use rem 5 1/2 and cci magnum primers for 9mm and rem 1 1/2 for 40 SW. I learned something the other day in that the 9mm glock factory striker is .010 smaller than that for the 40 - and that lightning strike makes them to the 40 spec. I haven't pulled my old factory ones out and measured them - but I will when I get home

SO the benefit is 2 fold - longer tip by .010 and lighter striker.

my kids glock failed at the sccsa match this past weekend and it was because the former owner had clipped 4 coils off the striker spring. i got stuck loading magtech primers (out of desperation) and this revealed the problem. they are apparently harder than WSP. also, that lot of primers seemed oversized and were a complete pain to load. no more magtech for me.

i switched back to the stock spring for reliability. the trigger is a touch heavier, but reliability factor trumps all.

I detail strip all "new to me" blasters --- to uncover those modifications made by prior owners, that I might not be willing to live with. I usually replace springs at that time, inspect other parts for wear, and lube the blaster....

One potential issue I found on my press (a SDB) is the shell plate. It can get worn, allowing the case to "rock" as the primer punch hits it from below, causing uneven seating of the primer - I was getting primers that were visibly tilted in the cup, that would be high on one side, causing intermittent misfires in a set up with a lightened striker spring.

Reseating the primer in the case - manually rotating it in the same station by about 180 degrees without advancing the case to the next station, and then reseating with another press of the handle would square and deep seat the primer, but was labor and time intensive. Dillon replaced the shellplate, and the problem is very much reduced now.

I just wanted to post a follow-up on this thread. Ever since I started concentrating on REALLY seating the primer firmly, I've had a dramatic reduction in light primer strikes. Maybe 1 per 150. I haven't even installed the lightened firing-pin yet and I think once I do, I don't think I'll see a light primer strike again ::fingers-crossed:: Note to self: SEAT THE CRAP OUTTA THOSE PRIMERS!

I'm hoping for the same with my Wolf primers and a light spring. Changed my mind a little as this new light striker is SO much nicer in my home-made trigger jobs, the ones that stack a little bit. The 4lb spring is better in those. Either way I have Federals now.

The JerseyGlock striker has the smoothest let-off I've ever tried, especially with my full-out no-stacking Vanek and 4lb spring. It's sick. I just rest my finger on the pad and start to think about pressing the trigger, then it's over. Rack & repeat.