Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm Open.

SN13

Um it's a 40. All the factory loads are major. I hate 9mm. :)

Well, it's not that I hate 9... it's that I hate Super-sonic loads.... Major 9 (and most minor 9) is SuperSonic. Even 165gr 40 is sub @ 1000-1050fps. (1129fps being SuperSonic)

Edited by SN13

Very cool! But, you know you will be at a pretty big disadvantage using the 40 in open, right? Mag capacity and all (this coming from a man who has TWO open 40's! :rolleyes: ), but I'm like you, I love the 40. But to compete, I had to get me a 38 super....

Meh. Mag capacity: 25 . . . I'm only at a disadvantage on a stage that has 26-32 rounds (The most i've seen or heard of in 38 super or 9mm major was 32rds?) And that stage would have to have NO place to reload. There's almost always a place to reload.

:)

Look. I'm a whore, and you guys not making posts about my super awesome XDm 40 Open gun, is making me feel bad. Post more comments to feed my attention-whore ways. Thank you!

Ok back to whiskey and cigars. :)

Look. I'm a whore, and you guys not making posts about my super awesome XDm 40 Open gun, is making me feel bad. Post more comments to feed my attention-whore ways. Thank you!

Ok back to whiskey and cigars. :)

Easy now... it is plastic, ya know. :P

Plastic, yes. The comp makes a world of difference though. I have a vid of a stock XDm40 vs my Open XDm40. Sorry about the cell-phone quality AND the stupid background... ><

th_VIDEO_011.jpg

th_VIDEO_012.jpg

Edited by SN13

The federal 180's shoot better than the Blazer 180s. I didn't have any Winchester 165's to test, I'm hoping they shoot better because of the increased gas at the muzzle.

One thing to note that I didn't account for. The #18 spring in the gun. The spring is too heavy and 1911 springs don't fit so I ordered a 14/16/18 lb XDm spring set and a 7-16lb 1911 Commander spring set from Wolff as well as a 1911 guide-rod&bushing XDm Conversion from Springer Precision. Hoping to have both by Weds. I'll tweak it to use the lightest spring that will strip the top round from a full mag with the slide pointed upwards. Have to also account for the striker spring trying to open the slide. This is my first OPEN pistol so it never occurred to me that the comp would sap the cycling process of recoil energy. I was getting a few failures to extract completely. You can see in the video the stock gun throwing shells into the wall. My comped gun was trickling shells out.

Question: A lighter slide, will that allow the use of even lighter recoil springs? I don't like the "coffin" cut you see on glocks but I'm thinking that maybe a lighter slide would be beneficial to this gun. Thoughts?

About your slide weight: in general, for USPSA Major in guns other than 1911/2011, it's:

-leave a slide designed for 9mm alone

-lightening a slide made for 40cal may/may not be okay, and

-lightening a slide made for 10mm/45 is usually a good idea

--- however some brands/models of 40cal have slides that are on the light side to begin with: depends on the gun

In my Open Glock I had a 9mm slide with more metal milled out of the optic area than the sight added back in weight; also a Ti comp. I wish I had added a racker for more reciprocating weight.

In your case you have a slide designed for Major to begin with & then added all the weight of the optic. Your comp is made of steel? So probably removing weight is okay. I would wait until you see how much wear develops at the barrel/slide locking surfaces AND see how much better the function is with different slide springs.

If you have to go so low on recoil spring that the rounds hang on the feed ramp, or the trigger pull moves the slide AT ALL, that would point toward making the slide lighter.

Edited by eric nielsen