Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any advantage to a side charging handle AR

LGLASS

What WDB said but that won't solve the problem because you have to do it with your strong hand. THIS however will because its on the left side (for right handed shooters of course).

Couple other things to think about, that set-up you linked to has a bolt carrier that is 1/2 oz heavier than std. which is the opposite way most of us want to go, also the bolt handle will be moving with the bolt and big reciprocating bolt handles can hit things.

If I was going to do the side charging handle thing, I would want it on the left side (I'm right handed). The big, reciprocating bolt handle in your link might cause you problems when you have to shoot through a low (on the ground) port with the ejection port down or while negotiating house clearing type stages.

Hurley

Some things to consider.

If you are clearing malfunctions so often that you need to find a more efficient way to clear them by seeking out an equipment change, finding and resolving the source of the malfunctions may be a better solution.

Most all of the common malfs can be easily handled with some practice and the original style of charging handle. If the malf is more severe then the time spent clearing it will not be helped by a side charger.

Anytime you can run something a little more mainstream you increase not only the chances of it running without problems but a much deeper pool of resources to draw from when it doesn't. Proprietary parts in a common platform are attractive at times only for the user to discover nobody at the match has a spare 3 cent widget to keep their gun running.

i have a mega upper on the way havent decided on what carrier to use alexader arms has a side charger upper to they seem to be the cheapest for a ready to go upper with bcg and handle their are a couple places that modify uppers and bolt carrier medus adoes it for $95 (not sure on the spelling) and 6mmbr also grizzly has thier lar ops4 upper that you can get with the handle on either or both side

also with the mega alexander and lar you still have a regular charging handle in addition to the side handle

I like the idea of the side charging handle and am working with a manufacturer to produce some of these. Left sided of course. For me, it's not about clearing malfunctions, but about being able to charge the rifle without coming off the scope. Even if you did have to clear one, I'd rather do it with a side charging handle than have to pull the traditional "out the back" style. Lightning the carrier can make up for the small additional weight of a Ti charging handle. I had GA Precision build me a 300 Whisper with an Armalite adjustable gas block so I could make the rifle a single shot. I liked how quite it was as a single shot, but I didn't like the traditional way of charging the rifle. To go semi-auto, all I had to do was turn the gas back on by flipping a lever on the gas block.

What WDB said but that won't solve the problem because you have to do it with your strong hand. THIS however will because its on the left side (for right handed shooters of course).

Couple other things to think about, that set-up you linked to has a bolt carrier that is 1/2 oz heavier than std. which is the opposite way most of us want to go, also the bolt handle will be moving with the bolt and big reciprocating bolt handles can hit things.

So what is the advantage of a lighter carrier?

The advantage.... you get 10 tacti-cool fashion points for shooting it in a match. :roflol:

But seriously, I would have to take a look at the buttstock end of that receiver to see what they did with what would have previously been where the regular charging handle comes through.

If it is sealed off, then I am ASSuming you wont get that squirt of gas/pressure at your face or up under shooting glasses like you can sometimes get with a regular charging handled AR.

And before anybody chimes in, yes, I do know about the gasbuster line of charging handles and the silicone caulk trick.

Lglass wrote:

So what is the advantage of a lighter carrier?

I guess that they would be alot like the lightened slides of open and limited pistols. Less reciprocating mass. Less recoil and less muzzle flip. Theoretically quicker for the gun to get back into battery.

the amount of leverage lost by going from straight inline to off the side is significant, most of the time that I have needed to clear a malf, I have needed more than what was provided by the "cool" side charger that I have. In order to get more leverage/strength from my body I have had to dismount and take my left hand on the float tube and grab the cocking handle with my right and bounce the butt off the ground, simply because of the amount of strength you lose by not pulling inline. The only side charger I have used that worked was attached to an M1A.

However I would be happy to see all my competition using side chargers themselves, so they can look cool. :devil:

Trapr

I have been building bolt handle AR15 and AR10 uppers and competing with them in multi gun competitions for over 3 years now. I find the natural ergonomics of use is very easy to get use too. Is this idea good for the battle field? I would say not, for the simple fact that dirt and debris can get into the open slots and breach. I prefer bolt handles on both sides, with the left side being used 95% of the time. The right side is mostly used when the gun is staged in a position that requires charging the gun in some weird position. The one hidden purpose of the right handle is that it works as a brass defector. If one where to only want one handle, the left side would be the one to have. Right side is usually good for bench rest stuff. Here are some pics of my work for the AR15.

post-1996-126791695371_thumb.jpg

post-1996-126791741145_thumb.jpg

I have been running an LAR upper for over a year and love it. You do not notice the handle cycling, and I have shot it many times in multiple rollover prone positions, guys that shoot at topton will tell you our ports are very low, and had no problems. The new upper is ambi and you can change what side you want the handle on in about a minute. As far as leverage I think we all know when you really need to clear a stuck case a standard charging handle is a pain in the ass. When testing the side charger we intentially stuck rounds and it was much easier to clear. easier and quicker to grab that side handle and in most cases you don't have to take the rifle off your shoulder which is great depending on what position you are shooting from. Everyone has their preferences, but I have found it much easier and really like the handle in the left side.