Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rain

If you are helping in setting up the match on a "rain day" then be sure to lower the target to where the head is even with the top of the sticks (something that shouldn't be done on a regular match since you don't want any wood showing above the targets normally). This will prevent the weight of the damp plastic bag from bending the head over half way thru the match. It never rains on the winter matches in Oregon, just a heavy dew. :excl:

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I shot in a 2-day downpour recently during a match in Mesa, AZ. They had great perfect fitting plastic bags and I hijacked one to wrap my stage bag in. Whatever Rio Salado Sportsman's Club used in the match held up as best as you would expect in a downpour. A lot of us DNF some stages because it was unbearable. They were much thicker than dry cleaning bags and not as large.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In my neck of the wood, BC Canada, Where it can rain for 30+ days non-stop, we use target hats. They are placed on the top of the lathe, then we lean the targets forward. We change targets frequently, usually every two squads. We never use bags, because it makes shooting, scoring and patching awkward.

DVC

I'm not buying that "it rains in BC non-stop" story, every time I'm out there, even a two week stretch in 2001, it was bright and sunny everyday. I think you guys just make that up to scare off the easterners.

• 4 weeks later...

Yea, sure, that it...

Drop by my neck of the woods (north coast- Prince Rupert) and bring rain gear.

Pockets are great too; fill 'em with rocks to keep you down in the wind,lol

3 out of 4 qualifiers this year were below 10 degrees (I would guess 2-4) Celsius and about as wet as it gets.

The 4th was just heavily overcast with the odd sprinkle...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to matches where they use spray lacquer and that works great for keeping the targets from drooping. That stuff is expensive though. Any recommendations on how to save on buying lacquer?

I've been to matches where they use spray lacquer and that works great for keeping the targets from drooping. That stuff is expensive though. Any recommendations on how to save on buying lacquer?

Maybe buy A bigger can of it and diluting it and spraying it through a large back pack type sprayer?

I

• 2 years later...

Simple fix Move to Texas and you wont have to worry about it anymore

I wish that were true. Even for the areas that are in a supposed drought! The slit in the side of the plastic bag seems like a really good idea, would help with the drooping heads also

Jon

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Instead of spraying, get a gallon or so of poly, laquer, or other sealant and roll it on with a roller.  The targets will turn a slightly darker brown and curl a little when you do only one side.  Rolling the back as well will take the curl out.  Pasters and masking take seem to stick on, but the masking tape can take a hard rain better in my experience.  I use bags if that is all that is availablr, but it does slow down scoring and taping.  Personally, I prefer to shoot non bagged targets, but it is a problem looking for any solution.

Paul : -)#

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Tried this at our last match - worked pretty well. A couple observations:

The face target was scored on the back side - made for a clean crease and an easy lift.

The face target stayed put better (we get swirling winds on occasion) with a clip on the bottom.

The face target will warp as front gets wet. Prolly stay flat if coated, but that's a lot of trouble...

Like a bagged target, loose tape edges will stick to whatever lays over the target face, and can pull off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A couple of people have mentioned something like I saw at the Nordic Rifle Championship in Finland. They let the target sticks extend above the target and stapled a 1x6 flat across the top of the target sticks. It was surprising how much it shielded the targets from rain, when the rain started getting really heavy, they put bags over the top. It worked well.

Hurley

• 9 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2010 at 4:09 AM, ranger351w said:

Good day

I was wondering what all you people have or use to cover the targets when it starts to rain? Cheapest and or best.We have small coffer so our pockets are shallow.

Mike

Found at (seipsg.net)

Living in the Seattle area we use laundry bags you can get them in a large roll not perfect as you punch holes in them but work best so far

3 hours ago, Tonka said:

Living in the Seattle area we use laundry bags you can get them in a large roll not perfect as you punch holes in them but work best so far

Virtually everybody uses dry cleaner bags.