Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rain

A trick I learned at a cold - rainy - snowy match in Phoenix :surprise: was to slit the bags on one side and reach in from the side to tape the target. Lifting the bag up just gets the targets wet faster and pulls the tape off on the way up. It does make a big difference :cheers:

Later,

Chuck

Those very thin and very cheap clear plastic bags from the dry cleaners.

So where do you go to find those bags? do the cleaners normaly sell them?

Costco :surprise: you got to be kidding this is the sticks man . Iowa :yawn:

Mike

Found at

seipsg.net

If not a Costco, the a Sam's or Walmart. They're on every other corner now a days!

We use to own a dry cleaners.... the poly bag you are looking for is a 38" or 40" - they are used for shirts or suits.

Find a good local dry cleaners, most of the time they will sell a roll. The roll weights about 40lbs. Should run you between $30-$40 for the roll and there is approx. 1000 -1200 bags per roll.

@ the top of the bag you might want to use alittle packing tape because there is a slit in the top for the hanger to go threw, just will help protect from the rain coming down from the top.

Wish I caught this earlier. Anyway, Scott D. and TGO came up with a solution a few years ago at Drillmasters. Steady rain, nasty. Worked really well. TWO targets instead of one. The exposed target which never gets taped gets a crease below the head about an inch below the shoulders. No staples on this outer target below the crease. Plastic covers the heads and the top of the shoulders ONLY (on both targets). Flip up the top target, score and tape. Very very cool. Now, if it's a howling wind and a driving rain pretty much everything is soaked and you probably deserve it anyhow. Go home. ;)

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

A trick I learned at a cold - rainy - snowy match in Phoenix :surprise: was to slit the bags on one side and reach in from the side to tape the target. Lifting the bag up just gets the targets wet faster and pulls the tape off on the way up. It does make a big difference :cheers:

Later,

Chuck

Wish I caught this earlier. Anyway, Scott D. and TGO came up with a solution a few years ago at Drillmasters. Steady rain, nasty. Worked really well. TWO targets instead of one. The exposed target which never gets taped gets a crease below the head about an inch below the shoulders. No staples on this outer target below the crease. Plastic covers the heads and the top of the shoulders ONLY (on both targets). Flip up the top target, score and tape. Very very cool. Now, if it's a howling wind and a driving rain pretty much everything is soaked and you probably deserve it anyhow. Go home. ;)

Jim

Now there are a couple experienced based practical solutions I'm going to try at my club.

Another tidbit for the drycleaning bags. The ones we've used are a bear to pull open (dont have that fancy bagging frame the dry cleaners use). What works well is two bits of patching tape. Just a little bit in each hand, gently applied to either side of the stuck together bag at the opening. Pull apart gently. Don't use a lot of tape 'cause it will stick to the plastic too much to get loose afterwards.

I got mine off E-BAY . Best investment I have ever bought for the match . Are 1st year bought from a dry cleaner but wasn't cheap per bag . That was the only way they would sell them and rained a lot that year. Next year bought off E-Bay and never rained on a match all year :surprise: !!! We will see how this year go's .

Brent

• 2 weeks later...

Jim

Tried this at our last match - worked pretty well. A couple observations:

The face target was scored on the back side - made for a clean crease and an easy lift.

The face target stayed put better (we get swirling winds on occasion) with a clip on the bottom.

The face target will warp as front gets wet. Prolly stay flat if coated, but that's a lot of trouble...

Like a bagged target, loose tape edges will stick to whatever lays over the target face, and can pull off.

It might take USPSA to convince them to do it, but http://www.rynonepackaging.com/ makes cardboard ice cream and seafood boxes (They make our 2.5g ice cream boxes.) I suspect they could make a waterproof target.

Waterproofing the target itself is only part of the solution. The tape has to stick as well. Most patching tape seems to have a water soluble adhesive, so that if the target face, the taper's hands, or the tape itself is wet, the tape won't stay on. Keeping the target face dry helps a lot.

• 5 months later...