Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
z06pilot

13 or 14 LB spring for G34

z06pilot   

Its probably not a big difference either way, but what is the appropriate recoil spring weight for a G34 with 130PF ammo and a non captive tungsten guide rod? Also,I noticed ISMI only makes a 13LB and 15LB spring not a 14LB, any reason?

Rolex   

I use the 13LB. in my 34- but I also have the Vanek drop in

trigger set up. It is on FL guide rod. I don't see why it

would not work. I have had no problems with WWB 115FMJ or my

reloads.

I have seen varying opinions, is there a definitive yes or no on if you have to run a lighter firing pin spring to run a 13 pound recoil spring? I have read that if you go much lighter it is a have to, but has anyone had problems with the slide coming open with a 13 pound recoil and a factory firing pin spring?

Around here, most people use 14lb in G34, 15lb in G35. Wolff. The lighter striker spring is for trigger tweaking. Wolf sells them as a set. Tungsten in G35 not so much in G34, assuming shooting G35 in Lim Maj. Steel in G34. If you are not getting light strikes with the striker spring and you like the pull it's good.

Steve_P   

I had problems with my 34 not quite returning to battery with the 13lb ISMI spring.

I did install a wolff reduced power striker spring and it cleared up the problems. Trigger pull is pretty nice too!!

I think you just have to try it in your gun...

Jman   

Not sure of the pound rating. I use OEM recoil assemblies in my G35. Around New Years I take it out and put into my G17. :) A new OEM assembly goes into the G35. Both guns have Vanek triggers.

Jim

rkjeepxj   

I run a 13lb IMSI spring in my G35 with 130-135pf loads and I run a 15lb IMSI spring in my other G35 for 170pf major loads.

I'm running stock trigger springs (just polished everything up) with the 13lb spring with no problems.

I had problems with my 34 not quite returning to battery with the 13lb ISMI spring.

I did install a wolff reduced power striker spring and it cleared up the problems. Trigger pull is pretty nice too!!

I think you just have to try it in your gun...

Having played with springs in at least four different 34s now, it really comes down to the individual gun. One of the four was perfectly safe with a 12 lb. recoil spring; the other wouldn't reliably return to battery with a 12 lb. spring and a reduced power striker spring....

One of them requires a 15 lb. spring in order to function safely with the stock striker spring, the others will do it with a 14 lb.. spring. You'll need to figure it out for the individual gun....

Also: running lighter springs requires function testing more often, and probably replacing springs more frequently than stock....

Hello: Use the 13lb ISMI recoil spring in your G34. It works great. If you are using it for steel at about 120PF then cut 3 coils off the 13lb ISMI spring. These setups work with stock,Jager or steel guide rods. Thanks, Eric

kevin c   

My experience is pretty much like Nik's. There is gun to gun variation, and it matters more the lower you go.

I'm using 11# ISMI springs in my Production G34 and downloaded G35 at 135-137 PF, both needing light striker springs, 13# to 15# in L10/Limited G35 loads at 170 PF. It's not a trouble free, "swap 'em out every X thousand rounds" type of maintenance deal, though.

The lowest springs required a lot of messing around. Both the 34 and the 35 would have rearward creep of the slide on pulling the trigger, if used with a std striker spring. Both guns can get picky about cycling on the first shot post reloading from a full magazine (10 rounder). I could also, with a 13# or lighter ISMI spring and std striker, and sometimes with a light striker spring, get the slide to move out of battery on slamming home the reload with a tightly loaded mag.

Consider whether the potential loss of reliability, or the ongoing extra effort of maintaining a functional combination of springs and mags, is worth the change from the stock configuration.

I'm up to a little over 57k combined in my G17 and 34, and the VAST majority of those have been fired on ISMI 13-pound recoil springs and lightened firing pin springs, with no problems.

When I tried running stock firing pin springs in both guns, also with the 13-pound ISMI springs, I likewise had no problems. Not necessarily recommending that anyone else do that, it just worked for me.

Having said that, I recently switched over to 14-pound Wolff springs, and also back to lightened firing pin springs, with no change in functionality (i.e. 100 percent).

Approach all this with caution. As always, YMM seriously V.

Hello: Use the 13lb ISMI recoil spring in your G34. It works great. If you are using it for steel at about 120PF then cut 3 coils off the 13lb ISMI spring. These setups work with stock,Jager or steel guide rods. Thanks, Eric

FYI ISMI makes a 11# spring as well, without having to cut a 13#. Hope that helps.

ctkenc   

I'm a "newbie" to the Glock World, coming from 1911's. Have a G34 that I've only had for 2 months ... shoot it in IDPA.

What I'd appreciate learning is ... why do you folks switch these springs and spring weights? What are you achieving; is it reduced recoil?

What is the spring weight in my new, stock G34 ?

Thanks guys,

Ken

Stock spring assembly is 17 pounds. Most say that lighter recoil spring weights provide less muzzle flip and felt recoil.

A lot of the perceived recoil, i.e. rearward push, that you feel when firing an auto pistol is caused by the rearward rocketing slide, as it travels to the rear, overcoming and compressing the recoil spring. Lessen the amount of resistance to that travel, the amount of energy required to move the slide, you also lessen perceived recoil and muzzle flip.

The Glock 17 was designed to work with European spec 9mm that runs at pressures, and a recoil level, that in the U.S. we consider +P+. The Glock 34 uses the exact same recoil spring/guide rod assembly as the 17. Thus you wind up with guns that, in my opinion, are seriously oversprung for standard pressure, U.S. spec 9mm, and the equivalent power level handloads we run in USPSA/IDPA competition, as well.

As has been mentioned, the stock recoil spring weight for the Glock 17/34 is 17 pounds. Most shooter who replace the recoil springs in their Glock 17s/34s run either a 13-pound ISMI spring or a 14-pound Wolff spring. Thus our guns have less perceived recoil and muzzle flip than guns running factory springs, and still work perfectly.