Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

According to Bear Bryant

doc540

"It's not the will to win that matters. Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that makes the difference."

I'm a professional trainer by trade, and the concept of having the will to prepare, to give the necessary effort and attention to hone one's skills is about as close to "THE" truth as I've ever heard.

It's similar to the adage about a boxer having become a champion while training and his victory in the ring just being a manifestation of his "champion-ness".

(from BE's "words" page: "Don’t allow greed to undermine the manifestation of our capacity, which is the product of our individual training." So, the product of our individual training manifests our "capacity"? Am I understanding that?)

So, the "mental game" then, to me, becomes a matter of what motivates and continues to engage one in the preparation process.

The will to train or prepare precedes the will to win or excell.

Dr. John Eliot in, "Overachievement", proposes that through effort and repetition one can create mental habits that transform who we are into what we do and what we do into artfulness.

Edited by doc540

Doc, I always enjoy your insights.

As a trainer, do you find that there is a different source of motivation for the team oriented individual than for the lone competitor?

The team player must rely upon her\his ability to interact and communicate at a very high level with others in order to win. When competing solo, we have only the challenge of directing our own actions. There are interesting dynamics in both situations. I would enjoy it very much if you could elaborate on any differences you can think of.

Best, -Sam

(from BE's "words" page: "Don’t allow greed to undermine the manifestation of our capacity, which is the product of our individual training." So, the product of our individual training manifests our "capacity"? Am I understanding that?)

To much care about winning = greed undermining capacity. "Capacity": the by-product of our "will to prepare."

be

My, I wonder where you saw that quote. :lol:

While it is perhaps unfashionable to admit, the God's honest truth is that - absent some sort of hideous gun malfunction or breakage, or if for some reason a particular individual wasn't able to get any sleep the night before or whatnot - who's going to win a particular match has already been decided before the match even starts. In general the match win will go to the individual who trained the best. That's doesn't necessary equate to "the person who trained the most" - though often that's also true.

Doc, I always enjoy your insights.

As a trainer, do you find that there is a different source of motivation for the team oriented individual than for the lone competitor?

The team player must rely upon her\his ability to interact and communicate at a very high level with others in order to win. When competing solo, we have only the challenge of directing our own actions. There are interesting dynamics in both situations. I would enjoy it very much if you could elaborate on any differences you can think of.

Best, -Sam

I could spout off some intelligent sounding answer, but lemme chew on this a while.

and Duane, I'm integrating all three of your quotes into my training! But spoon-feeding them seems to be the best plan. :)

Edited by doc540

Yes, the last three.

The first one is too complicated when most of the class looks like a calf staring a new gate.

I have revised it to apply to our sales environment, but it will be introduced in advanced training.

Edited by doc540

Ooooooh, Sam, you've been revised for advanced training. :lol:

How 'bout that?!

Any ficticious name you'd like to create when I give credit for that last quote?

I usually use, "Col. Joe Splevins".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I just finished John Eliot's book "Overachievement." (I thought I'd seen it mentioned in the forums somewhere.)

Overall, I related to and agreed with the majority of his concepts. And would definitely recommend his book to anyone that would like to up their performance in any realm. I thought his comparison of the "Training Mindset" to the (competition) "Trusting Mindset" was espceically valuable.

be

training_trusting.jpg