Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Racker with shroud

Smallbore

I just ordered a slide racker for my pistol. Now I am wondering if I will have to remove it to remove the slide for cleaning? Any ideas from anyone? It is hard and awkward to rack the slide especially when the hammer is down.

That racker has to be removed in order to take off the slide for cleaning. It's the exact setup I have, and like Hi-Power Jack said, it's a one-screw removal......Simple. I don't use Lok-Tite on mine, so I have to be aware during a match to check it periodically to be sure it's still tight. It won't hurt anything if it comes off, but it's a pain to look for that one in gravel that's the same color! :roflol:

I might paint it just in case it does fall off. I would like to take the shroud off and polish it up or paint it but the guy I bought it from is adamant that I don't for fear of stripping the screws since they are so short.

AGREED! It needs to STAY on the gun! That's not something that you take off & on for cleaning or ANY other reason. Although you can do much polishing of it while it's still mounted. You can remove the "wings" to make polishing it easier, but leave it mounted to the frame.