Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Photoeye on deprime tube?

I have an RCBS Pro 2000 that has a tube deprimed primers slid down. I'd like to add a photoeye that beeps whenever a spent primer slides by (so I know it successfully deprimed - not got stuck like crimped primers do).

Has anyone done something like this?

I'd love to hear suggestions and/or see your solutions.

If the handle goes all the way down and the shell plate all the way up and the decapping pin does not break it will be below the bottom of the case.

I am not sure what you are talking about with "stuck" primers, seems like you would not have made a complete stroke if that were the case.

If your using Lee dies I suppose the decapping pin could be forced up but then no case after that would be deprimed.

Primers being sucked back into the hole because they became logged on the tip of the decapping pin happens sometimes, a slight modification to the tip will sure this problem.

If a primer is "stuck" that generally causes a "ringer" where the bottom of the primer and anvil are pushed out but the side stays stuck in the pocket and turns the case into scrap unless you have too much time on your hands.

I removed the small jar for spent primers and run a 7/16 tubing on the pipe into a qt sized gatorade bottle. I can hear the primer when it hits the bottle and know it has been ejected.

Same here, but the sound of the bullet feeder drowns out the primer impact sound.

I would set up a capacitve proximity sensor. They generally all have the control circuitry built in, but you could tune it to sense a primer going by. Otherwise a photo sensor would need to be set up on either side of a tube that the spent primer travels down.

This is not the matter of finding the sensor - that's the easy part. Problem is to figure out how to handle the signal from it. You really need a microprocessor for that. It needs to know when to expect the primer - based on the press' position, then allow certain time window over which to detect the primer. So that can be added to something like Mark 7 machine, with its computer, but to build it on its own is not trivial.

This is not the matter of finding the sensor - that's the easy part. Problem is to figure out how to handle the signal from it. You really need a microprocessor for that. It needs to know when to expect the primer - based on the press' position, then allow certain time window over which to detect the primer. So that can be added to something like Mark 7 machine, with its computer, but to build it on its own is not trivial.

No, I don't need anything nearly that involved. I'm thinking something like an LED that illuminates anytime a primes passes the sensor. I place the LED up on my press near the bullet feeder (since I'm visually inspecting that a bullet successfully fed).

This is not the matter of finding the sensor - that's the easy part. Problem is to figure out how to handle the signal from it. You really need a microprocessor for that.

Only if you wanted to make it complicated. A proximity sensor and a delay off relay would allow the primer to fly by triggering the sensor for a fraction of a second and triggering the delay off relay powering up a light or buzzer or other device so you know something passed by.

$12 http://www.sustainablesupply.com/ICM-Relay-Time-Delay-ICM206-C1137355?CAWELAID=120205040001670987&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=29083526665&CATCI=pla-212353583305&gclid=CI_e-N7hic4CFQcyaQodhWMM0Q

That's what I used on this device although with a regular switch.

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o213/jmorrismetal/reloading/brass/th_9mm380.mp4

If he door were only open while the tall cases were triggering the switch, they couldn't ever fall out because the door would close on them.

Or you could keep it real simple and use Dillon dies with the spring loaded decapping pin and get used to the snaping sound they make when the primer gets pushed out.

I still don't get the "stuck" primer part though and if you don't have a powder check die that is what you should be looking at instead of the bullets.

Edited by jmorris

You could do that, but I would quickly become annoyed by the continuous beeps, turning it off soon enough. :)

Not to mention having spent decades getting used to stopping instantly at the sound of any beep but it would control a light just the same.

Edited by jmorris