Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lee Loadmaster new primer system

FYI to those who are using a Lee Loadmaster or thinking about it. The primer system has been problematic at best for years. Some simply can't get it to run consistently at all.

Lee has a new primer system and primer tray. I ordered the whole primer system for small and large primers to try. I mainly wanted to try the new primer tray since it's easier to load a full tray because it has a block system in it to prevent primers spilling out when loading the tray into the press.

But, I installed the whole small primer system including the tray, chute and priming ram on my Loadmaster a couple months ago. With no real fiddling it has run nearly perfect. I used to get one or two sideways or upside down primers per 100 rounds when running well. More when the system needed cleaning. Now I'm getting one sideways or upside down primer each 400-500 rounds. It's been very consistent.

Also, the new triangular primer tray flips primers much better than the old round trays and are easier to insert a full tray into the press.

Chris

My experience, with the square primer tray, is much different than yours. I went back to my old round tray, in fact.

Every time I used that new tray it would bridge across 2 or more times, every 100 primers. So, I inspected the second square tray and put it to use . . . same results.

I concluded they are crap, and threw them in a box of spare parts.

• 2 weeks later...

All your problems would be solved if you were using a Dillon.

What would be too easy, and where would the fun be?

Did they climb Everest because it was easy?

Did men go to the moon because it was easy?

No!

We use a loadmaster, to test our mettle. To challenge our very souls!

(And we're often cheap and stubborn ;) )

Edited by johnbu

I actually switched to s loadmaster from a 650. I liked the primer depth adjustment and I liked the powder measure. Mine also had basically 100% case feed reliabilty.

I did break a few of the plastic primer parts but it worked better when I upgraded to the later primer feed.

I also had to play with the indexing after about 10,000 rounds.

Eventually the odd failures in indexing and priming and an exciting primer detonation (I did have the explosion shield fitted) made me switch back to a 650.

I do miss the primer seating on upstroke. And primer depth adjustment.

But I love the 650 reliability. With case collator and bullet feeder it's way faster than the LM ever was and much more reliable.

The LM is not bad for the $ though.

Taking everything apart and cleaning up problem areas, most of the time was spent looking at others solutions/fixes for various issues they have.

Once I had the Lee machine working as intended I then modified it so it could be fed by a Dillon case collator and a Hornady bullet feeder and one of my homade collators.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=225808&hl=%2Blee+%2Bloadmaster#entry2533465

You can mention Lee on this site??? Really?? I assumed it would implode or something. There would be thousands of guys marching in blue or green t-shirts!! They had a problem with a batch of the triangle trays. I have a new "red lettered" tray waiting at home if I can ever get done with our vacation trip.

Oh you can mention Lee.

and you can praise Lee.

what you will hear is that Dillon makes a better press.

... what ever else you may want to say, that part is completely true.

I have and still like a lee turret press. I like the lee powder balance

what Lee has going for it is mostly that their goods are generally available.

because I bought a 'reloaders' kit, it had a lot of sundries

so I did not need a dillon primer flip tray.

and I am re-thinking that decision.

what jmorris did is impressive.

keep in mind how much effort it was.

miranda

You can mention Lee on this site??? Really?? I assumed it would implode or something. There would be thousands of guys marching in blue or green t-shirts!!

I would bet a dollar there are more Lee owners here than RCBS. Very few owners of green progressives.

I already had at least one of all the Dillon's, a couple LNL's and a Pro 2000, the Lee was given to me by a frustrated owner and I figured it would be an interesting puzzle.

They can be made to work but wouldn't be in my top five picks for progressive presses.

I use the lee toadmaster and it works. Pretty well. It does need futzing around, but I ran a bag of 825 bullets (135 gr bbi 9mm) and only had 3 primers crooked.

The new powder feed drum is much better than the old disks. The big things are correct set up, correct lever pace (too harsh knocks primers crooked) and using federal primers. Primer problems go up astronomically as hard primers are used. s&B have 1-2/100 and wolf had 1-2/20 !! But the best thing was using a lanolin based case lube. Cut the effort in half and less harsh lever action meant fewer primer fu's.

My pace is about half shown in the vid. 7-8min to get 100 with manual bullet feed, but then time to refill primers, cases and empty the ammo bin, inspect and put in boxes and I get 3-400 completed per hour.

And I thought it was super great just running 40sw. It went literally 1000 rounds without issue. But switching to 9mm showed its ugly side. Urrrrr. I nearly "fixed" it with the cutting torch a few times!

what the heck.

I love the rename, can we call it the lee 'turkeyteaser?'

If I had one. I would look into everything Jmorris did.

my experience with the lee items I have is that

they often need a little attention to fit and finish.

not much really but the sort of thing that can take time in making

and that drives up the cost to us buyers.

after I polished the mouth of the seating die I had a lot less brass dust settling on my press.

it is easy to imagine some polish on a bearing surface or the carefull removal of some mold flash

would help the operation of the press.

Just look at that press in operation. it is rock steady.

miranda

Figured that'd get a rise. Total respect for Dillon. You don't get their following with 2nd rate equipment. But...as is evident, I'm new to shooting and reloading and $1200-$1500+ for a full-on 1050 would mean spending my nites with it...even when I didn't want to. I just load 9mm and with the new "fixes" on different forums, as Johnbu said, 3-400 an hour, with lots of checking still, is common. For an entry level loader, I think it's a much better deal than a manual index 550 or LNL. Yes, a lot going on for a newbie and I firmly believe in easing into it but, when learned, with lots of checking, it's quicker than the other two and cheaper to add calibers. If I was deeper in the sport and had the discretionary funds, of course I'd buy Dillon. Heck I live in Phx. But for now, the "Turkyteaser" works just dandy. :D