Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking for some sage advice from an experienced 45ACP reloader

Hey Guys,

I need your assistance. I am currently reloading Moly Coated, Baer Creek, 200grn SWC on my Dillon Super 1050 and am using Unique Gun Powder. Wow is this stuff dirty and leave a cloud of toxic smoke behind for me to breath. Not good!

What is your recommendations for a nice clean powder that flows nicely and is fairly priced. Thank you all in advance for your sage advice, I really appreciate it.

I use Trail Boss, I load it light for plinking purposes and with the way the powder is designed no way of ever having a double charge and not knowing. It will fill the case, but that is what it is designed to do, and can be compressed.

• 1 month later...

Dump the MOLY projectiles and get some HI-TEK coated ones

try Bayou Bullets, Gateway Bullets, Black Bullets International,

SNS Casting, LNL Casting, Missouri Bullets now offers them.

Vithavouri powders are clean and meter nicely,

hard to find at the moment and costly.

• 1 year later...

Any of the coated bullets mentioned in this thread or of the forums period should help a TON with the smoke. BBI is a great supporter on the games we like to play.

Add ETR-7 and Ramshot Comp to your possible powder list. I'm currently working through my second 8# jug of Promo powder with 200gr .45 SWC's. It used to be "cheap"...

Edited by wgj3

I was using w231, and I have used AA5. AA5 I agree is awesome to work with, very accurate loads. But it can be very hard to find for months on end (I'm in CA too) and take more powder.

My buddy turned me on to nitro 100 NF, it's my current favorite and I make major with 4.2 grains. I use bayou 200 SWC

Red

E3 is my favorite all around powder. Low smoke, meters well, much softer recoil than any other powder out of dozens I've tried. Easier to find when supplies run low.

At target matches I run WST for slightly better accuracy. If I can't find that I run W231.

Bullseye has excellent accuacy but you often have to run it at lower pressures for best results and it's very dirty at low-mid pressure.

Lucikly for .45acp there are tons of alternatives that work well.