Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet Feeder Die Issue - would appreciate help!

I have been enjoying my Hornady LNL and recently picked up the Hornady bullet feeder dies in 9mm and .40. I am feeding the die(s) by hand until I finish the reloading bench but that is a long story. I intend to tube feed then and add the case feeder.

I have 600 rounds through the 9mm feed dies and while the PTX is rough, the feed die is great. I pulled the 9mm and set up for .40, the PTX was smooth and easy and at first, so was the bullet feeder... flawless to about 40 then I would get the occasional two bullets, then about 60 it was three, then it rained.

I did the following:

- degreased, cleaned, dried prior to use

- read the instructions online and in videos by Hornady and others

- tried fine tuning and changing expansion/bell

- I am using mixed brass but the OAL possibilities seem to be not an issue

- I checked to ensure proper assembly several times and even tried it "wrong"

- I called Hornady, went through everything and they advise returning the die/collets with brass and bullets

After reading this thread here www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=147890 I have two thoughts and would appreciate your opinions:

1 Just buy new collets, shipping and insurance will cost that much (almost)

2 "Tweak" the collet petals

How did/would you pinch the collets?

Edited by RWE

• 1 month later...

I was using the hornady feeder dies in 45 and 9mm. Starting by using tubes then built my collator. Then I decided to try the Mr. Bulletfeeder dies. They are twice the cost of the Hornady but I have to say they work flawlessly! I am using lead cast that I cast in 45, 9mm and 38/357. I would highly recommend these dies. My hornadys worked "ok" but there were way too many jams and multi-drops.

Well finally... MBF is offering their dies separately.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/bulletfeeder/mr-bulletfeeder-die-assembly

As for the OP... Check your PTX and make sure the die is not over expanding the cases. I use these IDs when I expand:

Bell Mouth Dia:
9MM/38/.357 (.375 I.D.)
40 S&W/10 MM (.406 I.D.)
.44/.451/.452 (.530 I.D.)
Edited by Brassaholic13

Thanks!

With the Hornady Rep on the phone I checked the mouth diameter the PTX was putting on them, several makes of bullets I tried and the cases over all. Hornady determined that the Collet "A" was "sprung" and they sent me a new Collet "A"! I am good to go!

That said, I will look into the Mr. Bulletfeeder dies

Edited by RWE

• 2 years later...