Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

N320 minor load

flat9999

Looking to get started with loading .40 to a nice and accurate IDPA load. I have several pounds of N320, along with some Clays and Titegroup, but would prefer to use the VV.

I will be loading range brass and initially using Bayou 180gr. bullets. Anyone have load details (charge weight, COAL) for N320 and coated bullets?

Also, fairly new to the 40 S&W cartridge, but have been seeing alot of folks adding an extra step of sizing down to the rim with either a U-die or GRx dies. I'll get the GRx if its really needed, but what's the consensus on its requirement?

TIA

Looking to get started with loading .40 to a nice and accurate IDPA load. I have several pounds of N320, along with some Clays and Titegroup, but would prefer to use the VV.

I will be loading range brass and initially using Bayou 180gr. bullets. Anyone have load details (charge weight, COAL) for N320 and coated bullets?

Also, fairly new to the 40 S&W cartridge, but have been seeing alot of folks adding an extra step of sizing down to the rim with either a U-die or GRx dies. I'll get the GRx if its really needed, but what's the consensus on its requirement?

TIA

what type of gun will these be shot out of? That will determine your col

TIA

what type of gun will these be shot out of? That will determine your col

5" 2011

4.8 VV 320 under a bayou 180 with an OAL of 1.185 makes major in my mostly stock Edge. Most STI Edges like 1.185 - 1.2 for good accuracy and power factor. I use the Redding Competition dies and case gauge all my match ammo. Very little does not pass the gauge with the Redding dies.

The linked Vihtavuori page has data for a 180gr lead bullet. That might get you started.

The VV load data is a touch higher PF than I need. I don't mind working-down some loads thru a chrono, but would hate to have to pull too many bullets going one tenth grain at a time :)

Edited by flat9999

The linked Vihtavuori page has data for a 180gr lead bullet. That might get you started.

The VV load data is a touch higher PF than I need. I don't mind working-down some loads thru a chrono, but would hate to have to pull too many bullets going one tenth grain at a time :)

Keep in mind that the Vihtavuori load data for 180gr lead bullets is results of them using a 5.5 inch barrel at a 1:16 twist ratio. I have to use max data for the 165gr N340 load data to make major power factor out of my 5 inch barrel 1911's and 2011's.