Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 grain weight

HerdThinner

Most use 180's. Some use 200's. Some use 165's especially in 6" guns from what I understand.

In general terms it's the same as 9mm in that the heavier the bullet, the softer the load

For Limited, Major or Minor, I use primarily 180gr bullets, but have been experimenting with 165gr. It may all be in my head, but I think the action cycles faster with the 165 and I'm back on target a hair faster. I don't like the 200. It feels like I'm waiting all day for the action to cycle and the front sight to return.

For 40 Open I use either 135 or 155gr. The 135 has more felt recoil and is a lot louder, but it is flatter. The 155 load is much quieter, more accurate and softer, but not quite as flat.

I prefer 200's but 180's are fine too... really depends on how you want the gun to handle/feel... best bet is to grab 500 each and try it out.. For reloading the general rule I use is Heavy bullet . .fast powder.... lite recoil spring.. like maybe a 12 or 14.. no heavier.. also pay attention to LOA... when making 40 loads for major power factor you will want to be able to run your bullets out to like 1.185 - 1.190...make sure your chamber will accommodate that length..

And ask a lot of questions here and at the range...

• 2 months later...