Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Pet loads for .40 minor?

himurax13

Did try some clay dot. Pretty soft load but just did not like then impulse of the gun. Noticed a lot of smoke too. Looks like tire group for me

As of now. Not the softest but like the recoil impulse.

• 2 weeks later...

3.8 gr W231 - Coated bullet - very accurate, reliable and whacks the steel

What bullet weight is this recipe on and what recoil spring weight were you using on your pistol?
I use this with a 180 Acme @ 1.28". Came out to 786fps out of a 4.25" M&P.

Oh. I use a 14lb in my G35.

Edited by packeagle

I am all set with my Major .40 loads but it has been a while since I made minor loads for IDPA but I was unable to get below 140 PF.

I am looking for a consistent load to be in the mid 130's in either a Tanfoglio Match Elite or a Limited barrel.

ATM I have Tightgroup, Regular Clays, 700x, and WST to play with. I currently have a few Bear Creek bullets in .40. 155g SWC, 180g TC, 180g SWC, and 200g TC.

Does anyone have any minor loads with the components I have?

3.8gr n320 makes 128pf.

• 4 weeks later...

3.1 gr of Trail Boss (yep, Trail Boss) under a 180 gr Bear Creek TC or SWC @1.145" for about 131 pf in 5" M&P Pro.

Yest it will cycle. It also cycles a G23 and an M&P Shield. But I figure you could make a similar load with Titegroup, WST, or quite a few other pistol powders.

• 2 weeks later...

My Tanfo LTD likes WST and most any 180's-but seems to find the Zero JHP's the sweet spot, running 3.4gr was nice and soft, this barrel really liked 3.8gr for accuracy-although 3.6-3.8 were all pretty good.

Not exactly what you have, but close....170 precision (moly) with 3.3 TG, 155 precision with 3.7 TG.

With Precision I've had to load at 1.1 or shorter for a Witness Limited Pro.

I'm running out of Tightgroup fast, so I either need to find some more or switch to something else.

Edited by robport