Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powders to try for .40 major? Titegroup....

Chutist

I've been shooting n320 for 9mm loads for a little while now. Now I'm curious to try it for some 180gr 40s&w loads.

An concerns making major at Glock COLs? I'm shooting a Glock 22

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

No concerns at all. You might just fall in love with it. Start at 4.6gr @ 1.135.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is n320 pretty much the go to first choice for reloading 40 for major. Have heard many people recommend it.

I started using n320 a couple of years ago when powder supplies where tight. I heard good things about it and when a shooter at my club was liquidating a large supply of n320 for a sick elderly friend I jumped on 12 ponds at $30 a pound. I have learned to love everything about it except the price. I purchased 6 more pounds shortly thereafter. Since the I purchased a 8 pound jug of WST and found it to offer similar results except that it does not meter as well and I can't let my powder run too low. Chrono results are not as tight.

All that said I will continue to use n320 until I run out and then use WST. If after full immersion in WST over a longer period of time in more shooting conditions and situations, I find it has drawbacks that I would not mind the extra cost of n320 to solve those problems, I will probably stay with WST.

Edited by Zoomy

So is n320 pretty much the go to first choice for reloading 40 for major. Have heard many people recommend it.

Part of what is "best" is going to be what you can FIND. ;)

From what I've gathered there are quite a few powders that will work:

Titegroup

WST

N320

e3

Ramshot

Apparently not for the faint of heart but -> Clays

Titegroup dirty? Not if you're using jacketed bullets. Maybe with lead, or some of the coated. But I use it exclusively because it's so clean with Montana Gold bullets.

That's not my experience, it's pretty dirty - even with jacketed or plated.

• 3 weeks later...

In the evolution of things around here...

Went to WST for .40 a few years back. It had been my basic .45 Auto powder as a slightly cleaner replacement for Bullseye. I had never thought of using anything so fast in .40 before, but, then, I'm not a .40 shooter- the Boss is and I'm privileged to work on her ammo.
The WST was the suggestion of Ryan Stinar of SnS and frankly, it worked superbly. When we transitioned to the 200gr round-nose I was going 1.200" and about 3.9gr WST. Nice and quiet- WST is actually advertised to have "low report".

Then the same mountain of VV320 the gentleman above mentioned came our way, also, so I changed to that, mostly for less temperature sensitivity and more cleanliness.

Then I got on a Red Dot bug for a year or so because I scored a mountain of it. The charge weight goes slightly less than 320 and so maybe it has slightly less recoil, too.
But I've been feeding my .45s 310 for some time now, hoarding it mostly for majors. Still the best thing I've ever put in a .45 case. So I got the notion to give that a try in .40 USPSA loads with the 200s.
My first impression after the first two range test sessions is: where's the recoil? Where's the blast?

I started with 3.5gr and it sent the 200s at about 795fps. I went up to a shy 3.7gr- really worried about hitting a pressure spike with the stuff- and on a freezing day, it started out with readings around 830fps but soon fell down to about 810 as the ammo in the box cold-soaked on the range table.
No overpressure signs were observed and function was perfect in her Canyon Creek Custom special.
Got to keep working this, see if I can get a cold-weather load that makes 172pf without scaring myself.

Edited by Cherryriver

Someone mentioned AA#5 in a previous post, and it worked well for me in .40. Everything I've ever tried in .40 has worked well, but I recall using Alliant Unique the most. Recent work with Red Dot and IMR-700X was very fruitful, too, though I chronographed no loads.

Getting ready to load up my first batch of rounds on the new press. Im thinking of starting with 4.6 grains of titegroup at 1.18 with a acme 180 coated bullet. Having never loaded pistol before I'm hoping this will be a good starting point.

Getting ready to load up my first batch of rounds on the new press. Im thinking of starting with 4.6 grains of titegroup at 1.18 with a acme 180 coated bullet. Having never loaded pistol before I'm hoping this will be a good starting point.

If it's a "2011" that should be pretty good. That's close to my load with Plated, you might drop it a couple of tens with the coated and work up if needed. ;)

probably major. 4.3 grains for me yielded 172 PF in my Benny hill Long slide. 4.6 was 180 or 181 PF.