Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Powders to try for .40 major? Titegroup....

Chutist

So the Titegroup loads are working pretty well, but it seems like it's pretty "dirty" running. And who knows if I'll be able to find it when this pound runs out! :surprise:

What other powders are popular for .40 Major with 180 gn bullets? :cheers: Always like to have options! :D

I have access to Winchester, Hodgdon and Accurate powders mostly.... ;)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WST and 700X, BUT, WST is temperature sensitive, and if it gets hot and you are getting chrono'd, but sure you have loaded to meet the loss in velocity. Watched a guy have to shoot minor with a .45, and a real good young shooter had to shoot for fun because he went sub minor. Longshot seems to produce more felt recoil, but again, that is subjective to each shooter.

WST and N320 seem to be showing up a lot, in addition to Titegroup. :cheers:

I think I have a little WST in the safe, I'll have to give it a go. ;)

(I was hoping WAP would show up, I have 8 pounds of it from when I was loading for 9x21! :roflol: )

There are so many. Here are the ones I tried: titegroup, n320, long shot, WST, clays. My favorites are WST & N320.

What are your wst and long shot loads? I have both powders available and think titegroup is a bit dirty too

For 180 gr. Montana Gold JHP fired out of a STI Edge type:

WST. 5.3 grains with 1.180 OAL gives 170 PF

Long shot 6.3 grains 1.18 OAL gives. 169 PF

WARNING: these loads are not manufacturers loads and should be used with extreme caution at your own risk. As always start at a lower powder charge an proceed cautiously.

WST and N320 seem to be showing up a lot, in addition to Titegroup. :cheers:

I think I have a little WST in the safe, I'll have to give it a go. ;)

(I was hoping WAP would show up, I have 8 pounds of it from when I was loading for 9x21! :roflol: )

Give Ramshot Silhouette a try. Wild rumor has it it's the same as WAP. (Obvious caveats: hit up the Accurate reloading data first, I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) It even has a picture of an STI Edge on the can. How can you lose?

For .40, I've been more than happy with Titegroup and Bullseye in major. Even though I love Silhouette in 147 gr 9mm, at the chrono it's not consistent in .40 for me.

Oh I have 8 POUNDS of WAP... but I figured it wasn't the right choice for .40 limited. If I ever go back to OPEN, I suspect it will work just fine for Major 9! :devil:

I've got WST around, that's what I use for .45. If it works in the .40 too, I could just get a big keg and be set for a while... :cheers:

I'd like to try N320 and Clays... If I ever see any for sale! ;)

Edited by Chutist

Oh I have 8 POUNDS of WAP... but I figured it wasn't the right choice for .40 limited. If I ever go back to OPEN, I suspect it will work just fine for Major 9! :devil:

I've got WST around, that's what I use for .45. If it works in the .40 too, I could just get a big keg and be set for a while... :cheers:

I'd like to try N320 and Clays... If I ever see any for sale! ;)

If you want to get rid of the WAP you might as well try it and see how you like it. A friend said he recently started using it for .40 major and liked it; I haven't tried it myself.

I'm at about 24lbs used of WST without incident at a chrono

I load it to 171 PF and lowest I've gone at chrono is 168.something (don't remember)

Temp swing of about 16 to 88 degrees.

Live in the north now and do most load work in the winter so first chrono check is usually while cold out

WST is very polite and get low SD's out of it with 200gr Bayou's and 175/180 Bayou's

The BUT is I don't try to go below 171/172 PF in case of a case!!!

Good fortune

jcc7x7

I'm finding data that says WAP is now available as Ramshot Silhouette... I found .40 data for it. :D

Yes sir. I hoarded my WAP until I made this discovery too. I do have a 15th edition Winchester manual with WAP loads in it that I can scan and PM to you if you like.

But I think they are the same as the Silhouette numbers.

I've been shooting n320 for 9mm loads for a little while now. Now I'm curious to try it for some 180gr 40s&w loads.

An concerns making major at Glock COLs? I'm shooting a Glock 22

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk