oal for STI 40 S&W

CaptJeff

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread with interest as I have a CK arms thunder that has FTF issues with stock ammo. I am getting ready to load my own and debating length/powder etc.

I am using both berrys 180s and xtreme, and thinking of compromising at 1.180 even though matt at ck told me to go to 1.2. I mostly use titegroup and HP-38 for powders.

Anyone have a major load using those bullets and powders they want to share?

• 2 weeks later...

I have to load 4.8gr of titegroup under a 180 xtreme at 1.165 out of my sti edge. That gives me 169 170 power factor. Lot of powder but it feels ok and no pressure signs. At 1.18 you prob need another .1 or 2 but always start lower and work your way up.

• 2 weeks later...

Any of you guys loading 1.18 or longer use the EGW 7 hole chamber checker? My brass is gauging fine before loading it, will only seat to the rim when gauging. Wondering if the bayou bullets are catching on the throat of the chamber checker or if I've got something else going on. I'll hopefully have time to pull my barrel tonight for a plunk test.

Any of you guys loading 1.18 or longer use the EGW 7 hole chamber checker? My brass is gauging fine before loading it, will only seat to the rim when gauging. Wondering if the bayou bullets are catching on the throat of the chamber checker or if I've got something else going on. I'll hopefully have time to pull my barrel tonight for a plunk test.

That's been my experience. Definitely plunk check and provided they pass that you're good.

Basically I use mine as pass/fail and to visually check primers. Split brass or other serious problem will stick out significantly. The "good" rounds vary from flush to ~rim width proud. All of those easily pass plunk tests in my pistols.

• 3 weeks later...