Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

oal for STI 40 S&W

CaptJeff

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both of mine seem to like 1.160 with MG 180gr HP. I get major feed issues if I go shorter than 1.150. These are also short enough to fit into many non-STI magazines should I ever get the bug to get another M&P or something like that.

STI DVC 40. Started with 1.125, TG (4.9gr) and 180 Heavy plate Xtremes. Tried 1.180 using N320 (5.2gr), no problems, except can't use them in my backup M&P Ltd 40.

Just developed a 1.150 load that works in both. 5.0 gr N320, Heavy Plate Xtremes. Hits 170 pf in both guns. Yeah!

I have a boatload of reloads from my Glock days....180gr Berry's and Zero's at 1.135 OAL. Ran them in my custom Eagle 5.0 and no issues at all (actually last round on one of my mags stovepipes...but that's a mag issue I believe).

Makes it easier having one OAL for my Glocks and my STI....(and my Springer single stack, and my Para 16-40....)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm super new to reloading and have a question that fits this topic. I was told to load 1.118 oal, n320, 180gr hpcb. It seems like a vast majority of you are using 1.18. That being said... does .062 really make *THAT* much of a difference?

-kg

(pardon my ignorance and noobie-ness. I'm trying to not blow myself up. I'm pretty sure I got the terms wrong too.)

Hey guys, I'm super new to reloading and have a question that fits this topic. I was told to load 1.118 oal, n320, 180gr hpcb. It seems like a vast majority of you are using 1.18. That being said... does .062 really make *THAT* much of a difference?

-kg

(pardon my ignorance and noobie-ness. I'm trying to not blow myself up. I'm pretty sure I got the terms wrong too.)

People typically load longer when using faster powders to keep the pressure down. They also load long to prevent feeding issues.

hmmm. When I've done the plunk test in my P320 barrel, the loads that fail are all just above the 1.130 that I thought was my target OAL. The failed loads usually measure out in the 1.135 oal. Is this gun specific?

Having been through this just recently, don't go down the road of asking and assuming. Do your homework on the bullet profile by following any of the previous suggestions on how to do this. It can save you a lot of frustration and wasted time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I ended up going with 1.165 in my Edge. It seems to run everything I've been able to throw at it so far from short factory Ammo to 1.180 re loads from a buddy at the range. The 1.165 also works in 2 other guns I load for so it just worked out better.

• 2 weeks later...