Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying a used m&p 9?

hildy19

Okay, so I shoot a Glock and am happy with it, but my fiancé doesn't like the feel of it as much as the M&P 9. I'm debating on getting for me to use as home defense(as the glock has some changes), and for her to shoot more as she has a 380 pistol and I am planning to reload 9 for the glock so id be able to reload for hers as well to save money. And let's be honest it's also an excuse to add another gun!

So I was looking and saw some used LEO trade ins and they seem reasonably priced. What's the thoughts on one of these. I've heard good things about the trade ins as a way to get a decent gun for less. But I've also been reading on here about the accuracy issues.

So I'm basically asking is it worth it? I don't wanna have to buy the gun and then throw in a Apex barrel to make it shoot. I understand there is good guns, average ones, and bad ones. Odds of getting a decent one?

Thanks!

I have 2 M&Ps one 40 about 7 years old and a new to me 6 months ago(bought off this site) 9 pro long slide.....I do pretty good with both on accuracy...average half dollar patterns at 10 yards...I say go for it.

Hi.

1. Yes. 2. Very good odds.

For typical home defense ranges, any modern pistol is up to it in the accuracy department. I think the ergos on the M&P are superior to the Glock but obviously there are many different opinions on this. I've never felt poorly equipped when keeping an M&P at home or carrying it openly or concealed. Mass produced modern pistols are cheap.

And a little trigger work on anything not used as home defense too

This is one of the reasons. I only have the glock and it does have some trigger work. So the m&p would stay stock...(until I change it. Then need a new bed side gun. And the cycles starts over haha)

Edited by hildy19

There were some 9s that didnt shoot as well as others. Ive always thought the vast majority but not all shooters cant outshoot the gun, myself included. LEO trade ins on these are usually a fair deal in my opinion. Not exactly a smoking deal but I like trade ins in general because theyre fairly predictable. Trade ins llook rough, sights a little dim, but theyre relatively low round counts.

An agency that does a quarterly qualification probably shoots between 75 on up to 150 rounds tops. 300 to 600 rounds a year by maybe a 6 year duty issue.

My own opinion is 1800- 3600 rounds on a pistol is low count compared to to guys who put that on a gun in a year.

My own opinion is 1800- 3600 rounds on a pistol is low count compared to to guys who put that on a gun in a year.

For most of us who get bitten by the competition bug hard enough that we're chasing A class, or M, or GM and begin practicing like mad...

The gun starts seeing 1800-3600 rounds a month, at least.

My 9L has 30,000 rounds through it. The actual count is probably 40ish, but I'm only counting 3,000rd cases of bullets I know I reloaded and fed to it for certain. It's also one of the first M&Ps made, so that number isn't terribly impressive... That was what? 2009 or so?

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Oh, and the Apex barrel is needed for those of us who got a sloppy gun and wanted to shoot heavy bullets loaded lightly through it.

Mine was 6-8 inches at 25 yards with 135s and 147s, but grouped 115 factory ammo around 3-4 inches. I would never have bothered changing barrels in that case.

• 2 weeks later...

In my house, between me and my wife, we have 2 shields and 2 full size M&P's, all are 9mm's they are great. The one thing I have found is they all love 124gr bullets. 147s work but vary at different ranges. 115 factory shoot low left. If your reloading you can get your rounds right where you want them.