Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Purchasing secondhand firearms

Hi All,

I have recently moved to the USA from Australia where I was an avid IPSC shooter.

We are residing in Nevada how does it work buying secondhand firearms online from web page like www.gunsamerica.com? Do they need to be transferred through a dealer?

I recently purchased a new DVC STI from a dealer in California and they sent it to local firearms dealer where I picked it up from.

Thanks

Dave

Welcome to the US, Dave. If you're buying from someone outside of your state, you need to have the gun shipped to your favorite FFL (gun dealer) where you live. Make sure you arrange for this properly first. When the gun arrives, you do the paperwork with your dealer and that's it.

Dave

Welcome! Almost all of the online sellers like gunsamerica, gunbroker, etc require shipping to an FFL for transfer. Even within the same state.

Face to face sales can be done without a dealer in many states. Check local law to be sure about Nevada.

Edited by practical_man

Welcome to the US, Dave. If you're buying from someone outside of your state, you need to have the gun shipped to your favorite FFL (gun dealer) where you live. Make sure you arrange for this properly first. When the gun arrives, you do the paperwork with your dealer and that's it.

I'm pretty sure there's never a scenario in which a non-licensee can legally receive a handgun via common carrier, even if it's being shipped across the street.

Maybe if it had been shipped back to the mfr for warranty repair, but I wouldn't bet on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone (a person) ships to your choice of gun shop(FFL) or meets you at one and you do the FFL paperwork.

Nevada doesn't allow person-to-person sales directly? If they do, there's no reason to get an FFL involved if you can meet face to face and are both in-state residents.

I'm pretty sure there's never a scenario in which a non-licensee can legally receive a handgun via common carrier, even if it's being shipped across the street.

You'd be wrong, then. :)

A person can ship via common carrier to another person in his state. Handguns and long guns (assuming there's no STATE law against it).

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe if it had been shipped back to the mfr for warranty repair, but I wouldn't bet on that.

I send guns to my builder for work by UPS and he sends right back to my house. If I have him build one he must send it to an FFL for initial trip.

More or less

I send guns to my builder for work by UPS and he sends right back to my house. If I have him build one he must send it to an FFL for initial trip.

More or less

Idk how he does it, unless he has a mfr license and it's being done under the guise of warranty work.

An individual can legally ship a handgun to an FFL. The problem is USPS won't ship handguns except between FFLs. FedEx & UPS will, but only priority overnight (at least the last time I checked). Go to their site and calculate shipping. But make sure you're sitting down.

More or less

Idk how he does it, unless he has a mfr license and it's being done under the guise of warranty work.

An individual can legally ship a handgun to an FFL. The problem is USPS won't ship handguns except between FFLs. FedEx & UPS will, but only priority overnight (at least the last time I checked). Go to their site and calculate shipping. But make sure you're sitting down.

It is expensive, and you are correct about USPS. But, it can be done.

The reason they can can ship it directly to you is covered here -

Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A))

More or less

UPS and FedEx don't require overnight for their commercial account holders. Buds Guns basically sells you access to their corporate rates with their shipmygun.com service. It's typically the same price or less as paying a transfer fee and having an FFL send via priority mail.

• 3 weeks later...

Most in state sales can be transferred face to face. However, if buying from another state the gun almost certainly always has to be shipped to an FFL dealer where you will have to fill out paperwork and possibly wait for approval of a background check.

Most in state sales can be transferred face to face. However, if buying from another state the gun almost certainly always has to be shipped to an FFL dealer where you will have to fill out paperwork and possibly wait for approval of a background check.

Most in-state sales can be handled face-to-face AND/OR via intrastate shipping via common carrier if your state laws allow. That was part of the point of this offshoot from the discussion.

Out of state always requires an FFL (even if it's an 03/FFL for a C&R weapon).

Most in-state sales can be handled face-to-face AND/OR via intrastate shipping via common carrier if your state laws allow. That was part of the point of this offshoot from the discussion.

Out of state always requires an FFL (even if it's an 03/FFL for a C&R weapon).

Dead wrong on your last statement. I hold a 03 and had the big brown truck drop off handgun direct into my grubby mitts... no commercial FFL involvement.

He was saying that an FFL is required for out of state purchases and that it may happen to be an 03. I'm assuming you had to send a copy of your 03/FFL in order for them to ship that handgun to your grubby mitts. That's still an FFL being required in the transaction.