Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Geco .38 Super Factory Ammo- any recent usage reports?

ScottieShootz

I know the 2011 world shoot article says it didn't make power factor and that was years ago. I've heard and read people claim Geco changed their load after this being a problem to make it hit power factor. My question, has anyone recently given this a go to see what it does for them?

Caliber: .38 Super Bullet Type: FMJ Bullet Weight: 124 Grain Muzzle Energy: 546 ft lbs Muzzle Velocity: 1411 fps

$17 a box of 50, is better than AA pricing of $21/box. Which is better than AA 9major at $24/box. I have not called AA to see if I buy bulk X,000 rounds if they would offer a better price. I don't reload, I don't plan to, I don't have time to add those hours to my schedule. I roughly have 1 hour or less of free time a night(ish). I use this for dryfire practice and gym/2mile run. I currently shoot limited and have borrowed a friends open 9major to play with and have rather enjoyed the red dot race. Seriously considering selling my current 2011 and turning the new frame and parts I just picked up into an open gun instead of a sight tracker as I have not ordered my barrel or slide yet.

My other thought could be to buy a trubor blank and cut the ports to make powerfactor with cutting 1 port and testing at a time. Tedious but could be an option.

fyi i have seen AA have some sales from time to time, so stock up then. 38 super in the $19-20/box range, delivered. unfortunately still way more than factory 9 or 40.

another thought, get a PCC. way cheaper than an open gun and plain vanilla 9mm ammo at 10-11/box at wallyworld...

fyi i have seen AA have some sales from time to time, so stock up then. 38 super in the $19-20/box range, delivered. unfortunately still way more than factory 9 or 40.

another thought, get a PCC. way cheaper than an open gun and plain vanilla 9mm ammo at 10-11/box at wallyworld...

I shoot plenty of carbine and 3 gun already, I enjoy the handgun only side of USPSA.

Since I have not ordered a barrel or comp yet, I'm going to reach out to AA and see if they have a recommended twist rate or comp style to best suit their load.

I forgot my frame I ordered is Clark cut, so the trubor is out since its Wilson.

In 1 hour of time you could reload over 1000 rounds on a Dillon Super 1050 or a Dillon 650 with case feeder and bullet feeder. And you could make sure they'll make major power factor instead of playing the guessing game with ammo companies.

I'd rather spend that time behind the gun or in the gym. Reloading doesn't interest me, I'll pay a bit more for someone to load for me and not have to worry about setting up a workbench for reloading.

I'm curious what the math is for someone to break even and start saving money for 9major or 38sc when they start with nothing on a Dillon 650.

The math on saving money depends on what components you use, how much you buy in bulk, and if you factor resale price of the press. For example I commonly see people talk about selling a used 650 for 80% of new price. This means that you do not need to cover the whole cost, just 20%. It may not work out that way, but remember this press has a lifetime warranty so you do not have to throw it away if you decide reloading is not for you.

The biggest cost saver will be reusing brass. That means picking it up off the ground after shooting instead of letting others grab some free brass off of you. That is time and since I shoot 9major I don't worry about it when it is hot or I am trying to focus on my match. I may pick some up after the match, or when it is nice out. If I was shooting 38 I would have to get on it right after shooting otherwise other open shooters would nab it.

I definitely understand the savings on reloading components. It just doesn't interest me in spending the hours setting up, making multiple major loads and making range trips on what is accurate, what works the comp well, etc. I realize I can search this forum for loads to use and speed up the process, but at this point in my life, I'd rather just go to the range and practice with my $16 a box ammo.

Maybe I'll find a local open shooter whom I can pay for major ammo from in the future......

Scottie,

Using this for practice would be a great idea since you should be able to recover all the brass. Finding another open shooter to reload your brass should not be too hard if you come to them brass in hand.