Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

barrel for 9mm open

kcd19

i am working on getting parts together for an open build and looking for some advice on barrels. i've narrowed it down between a few choices in bull profile

Schuemann (1-32")

Schuemann AET (1-24")

KKM (1-18")

I've seen KKM referenced on this forum and others at 1-24" and 1-32", but correspondence with them puts their current barrels at 1-18". It's maybe a little faster twist than I would prefer, or seems most suited, for 115-124 gr bullets, but they assure me that they are good to go for 115-147 gr alike.

Right now Schuemann aren't in stock anywhere with no ETA for arrival. They aren't responsive to email or phone calls, and I don't feel like waiting forever. That leads me toward KKM. The question becomes where I am going to be disappointed with that barrel for 115-124 gr bullets in open? Is anyone else using the 1-18 barrels? Are the longer twist rates a custom option [from KKM]? Other thoughts?

Thanks.

Infinity barrels are nice, my 1-32 Schuemann has keyholed 147 grain bullets at 900fps from day one but is very good with 115 or 124 at open speed. Speedshooters International has some Schuemanns in stock. I have a Bar sto that is 1-16 that shoots all shapes and weights of bullets very well so I would not rule them out. The 1-24 Schuemann aet barrels do not like any plated or coated lead bullets in 9mm or 40.

I have a 1 in 32 Schumann in my open gun and it is ridiculously accurate. Shooting 115 grain Precision Delta JHP it will shoot less than 2 inch groups at 50 yards. I have shot gongs at 100 yards with it. The spin rate is optimized for 115s, it is however still very accurate with 124 Xtreme plated round nose even though the ballistic calculator says the the spin rate is not ideal to stabilize the heavier bullet properly.

Big fan of the Schumann Ultimatch barrels

Don't know the twist but they shoot from 165-200gr bullets in my 40

and 115-130in the open gun 9mm

115-160 Bayou's and PD jacketed in a 9mm 1911 SS gun

Great bbls very accurate

as above SSI have some suitable schueman barrels in stock. Anything up to as fast as a 1:16 will generally still work just fine in an open gun with as light as 115gn bullets, however the 1:32 or 1:24 is more in the ideal range for a 355 pill in a 5inch barrel.

there is nothing wrong with the KKM barrels. they are very popular for a reason.

Your gunsmith should be able to get barrels. I know that I was trying to find a Kart or similar barrel for a build and none were available; however, my gunsmith was able to order a Kart barrel and got it within a week. They seem to have resources that us mere parts orderer's don't have.

• 3 months later...